HELP !! My cat got srayed by a shunk

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat that turned 1 today just ran in the house ... howling , drooling and stinky !!! I hosed him off with just water to sorta help him ... NOW WHAT ? hES IN THE BATHROOM HOWLING STILL ....tHE SMELL IS BAD !!!

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ms cat love

My cat that turned 1 today just ran in the house ... howling , drooling and stinky !!! I hosed him off with just water to sorta help him ... NOW WHAT ? hES IN THE BATHROOM HOWLING STILL ....tHE SMELL IS BAD !!!
Tomato Juice?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks , But what do i do ? pour it on the cat or make a sinkfull and dip the cat ? Now i have to get some because i dont have any .. The cat quit howling and now is eating .. The smell is so bad ..

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A chemist by the name of Paul Krebaum discovered a solution that chemically neutralizes skunk odor. The ingredients for the formulation are:

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle)
1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
1-2 teaspoons liquid dish soap.
Ingredients must be mixed in an open container and used immediately. Never mix the ingredients in advance because oxygen released from hydrogen peroxide may cause a closed container to explode. The solution can be used on people or pets; avoid splashing the product in the eyes or mouth. Allow the solution to remain on hair for five minutes before rinsing with water. Repeat as needed. Do not use this solution on clothing — it may discolor the fabric.

I've used this on dogs and it works.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh this might work ... I have all the ingredints right here .. Thanks .. now i have to catch the cat with my rubber gloves and do the deed !!!! YUK ... Oh the SMELL..

catstorm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck getting the kitten clean and smelling clean too. Maybe you can try a scented soap for cats wich you can find at petco.I had this one that smelled like bananas.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well thanks for everyones help !! The peroxide/baking soda/dishsoap mixture worked !! Mr Kitty is all dry now and a sleeping happy cat.. I just got done cleaning the bathroom and the smell is better ... Now im going to bed finally .. thanks again ..

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nothing like a little adventure to start the evening, eh?

I trust, by the way, that your cat has his rabies shots.

ms cat love

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, The smell is gone completly from the cat and the bathroom !! Thank goodness that was PEW-WEEEEEEEEE !! Yes Mr kitty has all his shots... And he is one of those cats who loves to rub heads with all the cats so he probably thought the skunk was new cat on the block and was his usual friendly self ... I usually get all the cats in at dark and Mr kitty was busy with the skunk i see now and thats why he didnt come in till 9;45 ... I have 13 cats here so letting them out in the day sure saves on the cat litter ... While getting all the other cats in during the skunk episode i noticed that one of the other cats, willy has a abcess/tumor thing on his under neck !! Now i have to take him to vet and hes on his morning adventure and nowhere to be found !! Never a dull momet here ...

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

Tomato Juice?
That would have been my suggestion too. Wash the cat in tomato juice. Try to leave it on for as long as you can without rinsing it off (up to 20 minutes). Glad kitty is smelling better now and everything is well!

For anyone in the future though. While Peroxide works really well, it can fade the fur color. But if you're not too concerned with that possibility then I would go for it!

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried tomato juice years ago when my 2 Old English Sheepdogs and Golden Retriever were sprayed by a skunk in our backyard (we lived on the edge of town).
My husband picked up 3 cases, large cans, and we bathed the dogs in it, coated their fur to let it soak off the shunk oil and bathed them with regular shampoo to remove the tomato juice. Have you ever seen a pink and gray Old English Sheepdog - and a stinky one too? While it took away the strongest part of the odor, they still stunk. My husband was not happy.

The peroxide may fade their color, but it didn't have any effect on the Golden Retriever or the OESs that we could see.