When can I spay mama?

yoshi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yoshi had her kittens on June 11, which makes them a little over seven weeks old. They've been eating solid food for about two weeks now, both soft and kibble. They all still nurse a little bit.

I need to get Yoshi spayed ASAP, so we don't end up with more babies...but I'm not sure when it is safe to. Is there a certain age for the kittens to be for her to be spayed, or am I supposed to wait until they never nurse anymore?

Also, what is your opinions on the appropriate age for kittens to be spayed/neutered? I was going to send them to their new homes around 12 weeks.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will want to wait until her milk dries up before spaying her. Most vets won't do it until then anyway.

If you are going to have the kitten altered prior to placing them, then check with your vet to see if pediatric spay/neuter is something he/she can do for you. There are weight restrictions, but once a kitten reaches about 10 weeks, they should be able to be altered safely by a vet familiar with pediatric alters.

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had moms done as early as four weeks after delivery with no problems. Some vets would ask you to wait but IMO it's a matter of aesthetics. Some owners just don't want their ex mom cats with nipples hanging out (it will shrink, eventually).

As for kittens, rule of thumb and depending on the vet, 3 months or 2lbs.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I got my feral mother cat spayed when the kittens were about 8 weeks old with no problems. The kittens weren't really nursing at all, were eating on their own, and gaining independence from her.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The reason for waiting until the kittens are at least 10 weeks old or the milk dries up is that the procedure (ovariohysterectomy) removes the ovaries. The ovaries are partially responsible for producing the hormone which allows the queen to produce milk. Kittens will comfort-nurse until the queen disallows it, which is usually right around the 10 week mark. Nursing on a queen recently spayed is painful and increases the risk of infection at and around the wound site. Waiting until the queen disallows nursing or the milk dries up is preferable for 1) adequate socialization of the kittens, 2) comfort of the queen and 3) continued good health of the queen.

The ~best~ advice is to talk with your own vet.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

The reason for waiting until the kittens are at least 10 weeks old or the milk dries up is that the procedure (ovariohysterectomy) removes the ovaries. The ovaries are partially responsible for producing the hormone which allows the queen to produce milk. Kittens will comfort-nurse until the queen disallows it, which is usually right around the 10 week mark. Nursing on a queen recently spayed is painful and increases the risk of infection at and around the wound site. Waiting until the queen disallows nursing or the milk dries up is preferable for 1) adequate socialization of the kittens, 2) comfort of the queen and 3) continued good health of the queen.

The ~best~ advice is to talk with your own vet.
I talked to my vet and they want me to wait until the kittens are done nursing. 8 weeks minimum but 10 weeks is better like you said. It makes sense.