just wondering about the serval

generic war

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just wondering if anyone knows what breeds of cats are a downlink from the serval?
the reason I ask is because according to the news "Mr Garrett said he would change the legal definition of "domestic cat" to rule out cats with the genes of the African wildcat, the serval" so that means aussies won't be allowed to have these breeds

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are banning (or trying to) the importing of Savanahs, the earliest generation they would have been allowed is F5 same as with the current Bengals, which is no longer considered to be wild.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

generic war

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh okay, I like the savannah though it's an attractive cat and from what I hear has a very good personality, kinda sad that they're gunna ban the entire breed because they "might" pose a risk, no cat poses a risk if it's kept indoors or supervised

thanks for the responses and sorry for putting this one in the wrong place before x|

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, it probably won't just affect the Savannahs. they will try and ban the import of ALL breeds which will of course have major implications on the cat fancy here.

I have no idea what will happen to the cats which are currently sitting in quarantine. And while I do not agree with any of the wild hybrids, the reasons they used to get this breed banned are just wrong and untrue.
I feel very sad for the 2 catteries involved, they have worked for years getting the permission to import and now they are in quarantine and have been banned.

I really don't believe they will cause any more environmental damage than other cats, and also who would pay $5000+ for a desexed pet and then turn it loose?

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I read the article on the banning of the Savannah. My thoughts are dead birds wouldn't be there for a lineup if wild cats got them.
Also, visited a website in AUS for Savannahs they wanted 5000 for it for a PET. Therefore, I just don't see how anyone is going to spend that kind of money on a pet and turn it lose.
sounds like a classic blame someone else besides the native feral cats which TNR is an attractive solution.
Just like groups in the US trying to get hybrids banned, pit bulls and breeding all together.
Daisy

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

Unfortunately, it probably won't just affect the Savannahs. they will try and ban the import of ALL breeds which will of course have major implications on the cat fancy here.
Good god, the Oz cat fancy would die in less than 10 years!

moonandstarkatz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats horrible. I cant imagine banning of imports. Its already difficult and costly.
Daisy