Questions about Sphynx care

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping some of you who are knowledgable about the Sphynx can help me make sure we know how to care for Sprout properly. Since we did not get him from a breeder I don't have any specific source to turn to for advice! His previous owners got him from the Humane Society, if you can believe it, so we don't have any idea even who his breeder was. He has a microchip now, but it was inserted by the HS.

From my previous reading, I understand that Sprout needs to be bathed with a gentle shampoo about once per week. I read about special claw care, but he had a four-paw declaw (poor thing) so I guess there is nothing special we need to do there. I read that he should have his eyes wiped each day, but now I read something else about eye drops to flush any dirt out since they don't have eyelashes - do they really need drops on a regular basis, or is just wiping his eyes enough?

He has his own special fleece blanket that he loves, so I think we're okay with him staying warm enough. I feed my kitties regular Innova at present, and Sprout is eating like there is no tomorrow. He is a good weight right now, so I think we may have to restrict his intake. Should I offer him a bit more than I would my other cats, due to the higher Sphynx metabolism? If so, about how much more?

TIA for anyone who can offer some guidance. I just want to make sure we are taking proper care of this boy.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I understand it, Sphynx eat more than similar size & body type haired cats because they burn off many more calories keeping their body temperature up, and tend to be quite active too. I wouldn't cut back his food unless he starts to put on weight, if he is in good shape at the moment I'd weigh him now and keep a note of it so that you have a base measurement against which you can compare future weigh-ins.

Hopefully someone with sphynx will be along soon to give a more accurate idea of food measurements

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as I know, Sphynxes are meant to be jelly bellied let him eat! As for bathing, ensure that his skin does not get too oily. If once a week is enough, fine, if not bathe him twice or 3 times a week. Be careful and check his skin daily for cuts, scratches and mosquito/ant bites, they tend to scar easily.

And there you have all my knowledge on sphynxes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

I get my Sphynx in Nov.
The breeders website has how to care for them
Here is a link to her website.
http://www.kemenehune.com/index.html
Hmmm, I couldn't find any specific care info there other than that they require periodic bathing and ear cleaning. I did see some really cute T-shirts, though!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If Sprout needs any clothes, I can always hook you up with some stuff Izzy's outgrown!

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had a Sphynx come into our rescue this year, and I Spoke to a breeder, who said that they shouldnt be bathed weekly, as it can do more damage, and they should just be wiped down. They do need their eyes and ears cleaning every few days though, and do eat more - ours had tummy issues, so that is something to keep an eye on.

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

I'm hoping some of you who are knowledgable about the Sphynx can help me make sure we know how to care for Sprout properly. Since we did not get him from a breeder I don't have any specific source to turn to for advice! His previous owners got him from the Humane Society, if you can believe it, so we don't have any idea even who his breeder was. He has a microchip now, but it was inserted by the HS.

From my previous reading, I understand that Sprout needs to be bathed with a gentle shampoo about once per week. I read about special claw care, but he had a four-paw declaw (poor thing) so I guess there is nothing special we need to do there. I read that he should have his eyes wiped each day, but now I read something else about eye drops to flush any dirt out since they don't have eyelashes - do they really need drops on a regular basis, or is just wiping his eyes enough?

He has his own special fleece blanket that he loves, so I think we're okay with him staying warm enough. I feed my kitties regular Innova at present, and Sprout is eating like there is no tomorrow. He is a good weight right now, so I think we may have to restrict his intake. Should I offer him a bit more than I would my other cats, due to the higher Sphynx metabolism? If so, about how much more?

TIA for anyone who can offer some guidance. I just want to make sure we are taking proper care of this boy.
Bathing weekly is a must for my cat and the relatives of my cat, my breeder recommends this and I have found it is needed. Some lines don't need weekly bathing, some can go two weeks or so. Not all can. You will still need to clean the feet in between the paw pads for build up with a Q-tip along with your frequent grooming (weekly or whatever). Also at the same time you will clean ears. I would do all of that after the bath, wrap kitty up in a towel to dry and get to work cleaning. You won't have to do any nail clipping since someone declawed the cat

Sphynx need a heating pad, please invest in at least one for the cat's benefit. The breeders I know stressed this very carefully to me. It makes a big difference with them, a simple fleece is not enough. I say this even from recent experience since it is summer and we keep the house at 80 I unplugged the heating pads of hers, I thought she shouldn't need it anymore and didn't want her to overheat herself or anything. I was still feeding her the same amount. She dropped weight within one week at an incredible amount, very noticable. It was really alarming. We fed her more and ended up feeding her more than twice as much as normal, but it was a lot more food than her usual high amount, which was already high. This breed has a quick metabolism and use a lot to stay warm and eat more than normal cats their size to begin with. She does have access to lots of blankets and her own beds enclosed, donuts, and access to our beds with fleece baby blankets in the cat beds but that wasn't enough. We plugged back in one of her heated beds and went back to feeding her her normal amount and she returned to normal

Crazy kitty.

They need high quality food, and many cannot be free fed past kittenhood as they just are food crazy, mine can't be free fed. Although some can.

I don't wipe the eyes, she doesn't need it. And she is on a food that works well for her so we don't have to wipe the bum either.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by cococat

Sphynx need a heating pad, please invest in at least one for the cat's benefit.
Do you mean something like those heated cat beds? I was looking at one the other day, but I wasn't sure if they were good for a Sphynx or not.

Originally Posted by cococat

They need high quality food, and many cannot be free fed past kittenhood as they just are food crazy, mine can't be free fed. Although some can.
What food do you feed your kitty? All of my cats eat regular Innova (not EVO) right now, and my other kitties have done well on it. I think we will see how Sprout does with free feeding; if he starts putting on tons of weight, we will adjust.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by NinaCaliente

Do you mean something like those heated cat beds? I was looking at one the other day, but I wasn't sure if they were good for a Sphynx or not.

What food do you feed your kitty? All of my cats eat regular Innova (not EVO) right now, and my other kitties have done well on it. I think we will see how Sprout does with free feeding; if he starts putting on tons of weight, we will adjust.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!
Yes

I found one at a feed store for half the price than Petsmart, same brand and everything. Works great even years later. Another I found on the Internet for a good deal. But Petsmart and Petco have them:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...1&pcatid=17741
This one I put inside an enclosed cat bed for extra comfort, this is her favorite! Also, to make it soft in her heat cave (lol) I also toss two small infant fleece baby blankets in there which she loves.
http://cozywinters.com/shop/kh-3191-3193.html
And this one is a donut bed and also popular, I have a baby fleece blanket it there too she likes to get under and be cute.
Wow, I haven't looked at all of this heating stuff in awhile, there are a lot of options!
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...fm?c=3261+1883

About food, you are feeding a great food! I have been through so many with my kitty (and so have my relatives who own cats directly related to her). The one that works best for my personal kitty is Chicken Soup for the Cat Lovers Soul. I know it isn't the best, but it is what works the best for our cats.
I have tried over the recommended period of time to try new foods Innova, Wellness, Solid Gold, EVO, Nature's Variety, but always settle back with this food dry and canned as it just works the best overall. Your experience may be different though. I tend to rotate the flavors of canned with different high quality brands though, but feed more Chicken Soup than the others. I feed canned and the dry both during the day. This cat is not picky, neither are any of the Sphynx I know. I do think Innova is a great one to start out trying since it is dense and a great food. Please let me know, even if you PM, I am interested to know how he does on that food in a month or two

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have it on good authority that one of THE best breeders of Sphynxes feeds her cats "Hairball Control" and recommends everyone do the same! Seriously!