Any Recommendations For A "Safe" Online Anti-Virus Program To Run?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My son was going to send me an anti-virus disc to use after he got back home from visiting, but he's having problems getting it from his ex-wife. I really don't like going online w/o having an anti-virus program installed. I know there are programs available that you can download online, but I don't know which ones may be safe to use.
Any suggestions?

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Or Avast. Both of these programs will catch some stuff but you must do thorough scans, too.
One thing that can help you a lot is to use Firefox and have Adblocker plus installed.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Is there anything like that for Mac?
I thought one of the points of using a Mac was so you didn't have to worry?
Check Mac forums. But for the most part you'll be immune to most of the stuff floating around on the internet - just don't get anyone online seriously P.O'ed at you, then you have as much risk of getting hacked as anyone else.

lsanders

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'll third the recommendation for AVG- I have a friend in the IT business (he ran his own consultimg company for about 10 years, then decided to work for a larger company just before the economy started going south- smart move!) and he says McAfee and Norton are pretty much not worth anything and AVG, their virus and spam programs are great.

I'm in a Mac-only household, and the resident expert says that there are a couple of programs out there (one by McAfee, one called Virex) but it's so unlikely that viruses will be an issue that it's sort of pointless.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lsanders

I'm in a Mac-only household, and the resident expert says that there are a couple of programs out there (one by McAfee, one called Virex) but it's so unlikely that viruses will be an issue that it's sort of pointless.
Carol, i found some - free, too!
little snitch [this one isn't free, i don't think...]
iAntiVirus [this is the one i downloaded, btw - it IS free]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

but you must do thorough scans, too.
You're giving advice to an illiterate computer dummy!
How do you go about running a thorough scan?

Thanks for the advice, peeps.
I'll check into the websites mentioned..

~KK~

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Depending on what you choose, you go to your programs and click on it. Then choose to do a thorough scan. It's not difficult since they figure most people don't have a lot of computer skills.

The thing with avast through, you have to register. It's free, they send you an email with the registration key, and you have to put it in when asked for it. Again, it's not that hard. If you can register for an account on here and set up your profile then you'll be able to figure that out, too.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Depending on what you choose, you go to your programs and click on it. Then choose to do a thorough scan. It's not difficult since they figure most people don't have a lot of computer skills.

The thing with avast through, you have to register. It's free, they send you an email with the registration key, and you have to put it in when asked for it. Again, it's not that hard. If you can register for an account on here and set up your profile then you'll be able to figure that out, too.
Okay - thanks!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know what the heck is going on, but I just spent the past five hours trying to download an antivirus program. First with Avast, and then AVG. Both times, I got a message saying that they could not be downloaded - after they were about 80% completed. ARGH!
I don't understand what's going on, but it's really frustrating when you spend all that time trying to download something - all for nothing!

~KK~

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have, or get an aol email account, you can get McAfee for free. And it's not a light version. I've had it for a couple years and love it. Another free option that is one of the best (I've heard through techie web sites I visit and the IT department at my work) is AVG.

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

I don't know what the heck is going on, but I just spent the past five hours trying to download an antivirus program. First with Avast, and then AVG. Both times, I got a message saying that they could not be downloaded - after they were about 80% completed. ARGH!
I don't understand what's going on, but it's really frustrating when you spend all that time trying to download something - all for nothing!

~KK~
It could also be that you're infected. Many viruses, trojans and worms actually block your antivirus from downloading updates, or even working. And many will also block you from downloading new antivirus programs. See if you can do AVG's internet scan (not the program download but an actual virus scan), or McAfee's online scan. http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp They will usually detect viruses and many other problems fairly well. You can also try downloading Spybot Search and destroy and run a scan. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html This will often pick up other problems. If you're not comfortable, then you may need to have a professional look at your system. There is a lot of trouble shooting you can do on your own but you have to be comfortable getting into the "bowels" of the system so to speak.
Sometimes things are running in the background and you have to stop them before any software can get rid of them. Also make sure you have all microsoft critical updates and that you have automatic update running for microsoft (if you're using windows.) Those usually include the mallicious software updates, which helps protect your PC.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mzjazz2u

It could also be that you're infected. Many viruses, trojans and worms actually block your antivirus from downloading updates, or even working. And many will also block you from downloading new antivirus programs. See if you can do AVG's internet scan (not the program download but an actual virus scan), or McAfee's online scan. http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp They will usually detect viruses and many other problems fairly well. You can also try downloading Spybot Search and destroy and run a scan. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html This will often pick up other problems. If you're not comfortable, then you may need to have a professional look at your system. There is a lot of trouble shooting you can do on your own but you have to be comfortable getting into the "bowels" of the system so to speak.
Sometimes things are running in the background and you have to stop them before any software can get rid of them. Also make sure you have all microsoft critical updates and that you have automatic update running for microsoft (if you're using windows.) Those usually include the mallicious software updates, which helps protect your PC.
I sure do appreciate all your input, but I can't do anything now b/c the computer crashed - again! My son just got it running only a month ago. I'm having to use my WebTV again..

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to computers, but my guess would be that the computer got infected somehow by trying to download the programs. It was running just fine till then..

Here I was trying to make it "safe", and I ended up making matters worse.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You want a free online scanner that is safe?

I heartily recommend http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

I use these guys a lot, so I can vouch for the safety.
This scanner has caught things on my old computer that AVG, McAfee and Norton all missed, and gave removal advice.

tobyt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I personally use a version of ESET NOD32 Antivirus...it works...got a free version running but may have to buy the full version soon. Also something you might want to do if your in the position to reimage your hard drive...is put your operating system on something other than the C drive...put it on something other than that. here's the reason behind that. Most Virus's...not all...but most are written for windows with the idea that windows was installed without any modification what so ever to the installation. so when they program a virus to do something in windows, such as access or modify a windows file...they would reference the file with "C:\\...."...its a little technical i think but...for the most part it works out well. That and remembering not to open up any emails from folks you do not know should always be done. Not heeding that is just asking for a virus to wreak havoc on your system.

tobyt

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittKatt

~KK~
have you checked to see if your hard drive is full? a good indicator of a failed download is that there isn't any room to save the file.