Ups!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am beyond furious with UPS right now!!! I'm soo writing a letter to their company to complaine about the horrible service!
I swear the store near us is run by a bunch of idiots!

I ordred my new cell phone yesterday and when we did so - we opted to have it shipped overnight. Well when we talked to them they told us that we did not have to be home to sign for it.

So today we went to run errands. When we got back home we had a delivery notice on the front door from UPS saying they tried to deliver the package. They didn't leave it like instructed!
(we left specific instructions where to leave it as well)

So i called the 1800 number on the slip and did i get a real person....no! I got a stupid recorded voice. It was absoutely no help whatsoever. I curesed out the recording for about 30 seconds before hanging up on it and going online to find the number to my local store. Well i called the store nearest me and they said my package would be all the way across town at the other store. So i called the other store and spoke with one girl who answered the phone by saying "What do you want?" (talk about rude!!!) / I asked to speak with the manager and they put me on the phone with some guy who wasn't much better than the girl who claimed to be the manager. I told him what happened and he said to call back around 4pm and he would see if the driver would be able to stop by our house again and drop off the package since he was supposed to leave it the first time. Well i called back then and the driver was across town and couldn't do it.

So the manager told me to call back around 5 and see if i could go to the store to pick it up there. So i did and the guy still wasn't back by then so once again i couldn't get it. I was then told to go to the store at 7:30 to pick it up and it would be there. I got to the store and the line was outside of the building because there was 1 person in there and they were rude and slow
By the time we got to her she was very rude to me and answered the phone right in front of me after asking if she could help me! I was mid sentence. At first she told us that the package was there and she would go get it- well we waited about 10 minutes for her and then she came back and said it wasn't there and she didn't know where it was (I did will- call earlier that afternoon to let them know to have the package ready for us to pick up). That was frusterating to say the least- how do you not know where it is?
So anyways she spent another 45 minutes trying to track down the driver only to find out the idiot driver who was supposed to stop by the ups store and unload the packages didn't do so before his shift ended- and the next person to pick up the truck didn't check to see if the truck was unloaded- so the idiot drove off with all of the packages that should have been unloaded! Booo!

So at that point i was getting really mad, but still nicely asked the manager (who came out at that point) what they intended to do about refunding the money we had paid to have it shipped overnight. The stupid woman told me "well you'll have to take that up with the management" - i told her " i thought you were the manager?" ......so yea, forget that woman i'll call the main office tomorrow!!!
I'm ticked!!!

The stupid woman told me - well if you want to leave and call back in 30 minutes i can see if the driver can meet you somewhere to pick up the package. At that point i said "ok." Well 30 minutes went by and after trying to get through the line for 5 minute i finally got ahold of her and she told me "Oh i texted the driver but he hasn't texted me back" - my response was well why can't you just call him? / She told me to call back in 15 minutes and see if she had got ahold of him yet. Once again i did - and at that point the stupid lady said the driver was all the way downtown at the airport and that he didn't know where my package was in the truck (and was apparently too lazy to look!). She said she would call me back in a moment when she heard back from him to tell us what time he could deliver the package.....it's been over an hour now and i still haven't heard back.

I am FURIOUS!
So now i have to waste more gas money tomorrow to go all the way across town to pick it up- i'm calling before i go to make sure it's there this time (i was assured it was there last time but obviously that was wrong
) I am writing a letter to their company and i am going to ask for a refund- i should be refunded the fee they charged me for overnight deliver and for the inconvience they put me through!

This is exactly why i always use FedEx!!!!!!!
Unfortunately, since the company was shipping to me, i didn't have a choice in the delivery company. I will never recommend UPS to anyone after this. This is not the first time i've had problems with their company eithor!

Sorry for the rant i had to get that off my chest! I was nice to the people in the store but i am sooo ticked right now i'm ready to scream!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's outrageous, hon -- you have every right to be furious with them. I've never had any luck with UPS either, so you're not alone!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to say, I think you worked yourself up over tiddlywinks........As far as notary confirmation of delivery, my experience has always been signature necessary for delivery. This isn't UPS, it's the phone company, regardless of what the customer service operator told you. If you choose UPS, automatic insurance is placed on the delivery of that item.
Once again sorry, but if the delivery was that important, you would have been home to insure its arrival. Regardless, you should get refund of overnight charge if customer service agent confirms no signature was necessary for delivery.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

I didn't think UPS was open on Saturdays...
Our local store is open on Saturdays from 9-4 for pick up, but they do not deliver on Saturdays....that's why i have to go all the way back over there tomorrow to pick it up. http://www.ups.com/dropoff/director/486932 (the one we use is at the top)

Originally Posted by cheylink

Sorry to say, I think you worked yourself up over tiddlywinks........As far as notary confirmation of delivery, my experience has always been signature necessary for delivery. This isn't UPS, it's the phone company, regardless of what the customer service operator told you. If you choose UPS, automatic insurance is placed on the delivery of that item.
Once again sorry, but if the delivery was that important, you would have been home to insure its arrival. Regardless, you should get refund of overnight charge if customer service agent confirms no signature was necessary for delivery.
I'm sorry, but i disagree. If you were treated the way my husband and i were you would likely be upset as well. I got mad because of the way i was so rudly treated by them and also because we were told we did not have to be here for them to deliver it- and left specific directions as to where to put it. It was an important package and it was expected to be here. We only left the house for about an hour to take care of my sister's animals (only 3 streets up from our home) our number we could be reached at was also with the info we left so they could have called. Aside from that we were home most of the day -so it's not like we were running all over the city- we would be close by to get it when it came in.

The fact of the matter is we were treated rudly, and also UPS was very unprofessional and unorganized. So now i'm stuck having to go there again tomorrow and i now have to waste more gas money because they did not have it ready tonight even once it was called in. It's rude, and it's unsatisfactory and i don't appreciate the way i was treated. If i'm paying good money for a package to be delivered to my home, it should be done so appropriately.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPS is the worse shipping service that you could ever use!

A few years ago I ordered a video course for a computer program. It was $70.00 USD. Back then the exchange was high so the Canadian value was $125.00. plus $10.00 S&H via UPS.

When the parcel arrived 3 months later!!!!!!! I got a call from UPS saying that they would be delivering the package the next day and to have $58.00 ready. I said the item was paid for. They told me that the $58.00 was for "Customs and Brokerage" fees. That $58.00 was almost the same price that I paid for the product I ordered.

I'd never heard of anything like that before. I've had parcels delivered by Fed Ex and have never had to pay "Brokerage Fees" when the parcel was delivered. Upon more investigation I found out that the "Brokerage" fee was for UPS to process the paper work at the border, even if it only took a minute to do.

Of course they didn't tell me that I could go down and pick up the item at their depot here in the city and fill out my own paper and owe NOTHING!

Another example is that I ordered a stethoscope from the US for $125. When UPS delivered it almost 4 months later, they wanted $90.00 at the door for brokerage fees. I refused shipment and sent it back.

I found so many complaints online about people in Canada being ripped off by UPS and that brokerage fee. Some people getting gifts for Christmas, or warranty returns and being charged hundreds of dollars at the door in order to get the parcel. If you don't pay, they won't give you the parcel.

Apparently there is a class action law suit against UPS now for deceptive practices.

The lawsuit accuses UPS of misleading and deceptive practices by failing to get the consumer's consent, not telling the consumer about the fee and not allowing the consumer to arrange their own customs clearance.
The court action claims the UPS brokerage fee is "so harsh and adverse as to constitute an unconscionable practice."
If you have to ship anything to Canada, use Fed Ex. It might sound more costly, but believe me, as a Canadian it's much much cheaper to pay $21.00 shipping for Fed Ex and next day delivery than to wait 3 months for something by USP and be hit at the door with a bill for $60.00 or even $200.00 depending on the item and it's value.

I remember when it happened to me I found a bunch of comments at epinions.com. Some people sent stuff away for warranty repair, only to have UPS demand hundreds of dollars at their door upon return of the fixed product. Unfortunately that link now seems to be offline.

Here is the outcome of the judgement of the court on the lawsuit:

http://www.poynerbaxter.com/UPS.htm

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Linda! I knew it couldn't have been the only one upset with the way they conduct business.

This isn't the first time we've had problems with UPS eithor- when we lived at our old house we had several incedents where they messed up our orders or were rude.

I personally prefer Fedex or USPS. I've got tons of friends who work at FexEx because their main hub is here in Memphis- the people are always so friendly there and i've had nothing but good experiences with them. For the most part USPS is also very nice too and very reliable when it comes to shipping things. I like both. But UPS- well, they're horrible!!! If i could have chosen the company shipping my package it would have been just about anything but UPS, unfortuantely, that's who T Moblie uses though so i have no say in the matter.

Hopefully tomorrow they will have my package ready for me this time. I still plan to write a letter to their head office to let them know what happened. I figured i'd write it tomorrow though after i see what happens when i go to pick up my package. I plan to be nice, but let them know that i find their company quite rude and irresponsible.

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, they sound really unorganized.
And they shouldn't have treated you so rudely. Maybe they pay their workers low wages, so the employees aren't happy and aren't interested in keeping up a good image for their company.

But you know, in situations like this (and maybe you don't want to hear this
), I try to think positive thoughts. Like, I know the whole situation sucks, but you are in control of how it affects you. Try not to let it ruin your day. Just think of the bigger picture, like you have your family, your kitties, your home, your health, etc. A package not being delivered correctly is just a very small thing that happened. It's an inconvenience, but it's really just a drop in the ocean.
Sorry if this sounds like a bunch of cheesy optimistic-craziness
, I just think it helps when you're upset to put things in perspective. It could make you feel a lot better and be in a better mood.

I hope you get your package tomorrow with no trouble though!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

UPS is the worse shipping service that you could ever use!
Have you ever had any experience with DHL? I would say it's just my area, but friends in Europe have issues with them too.
I order live insects to feed my reptiles, in order to get these insects alive I pay a hefty price on shipping - usually $10-$17 depending on the supplier, season, what I order, and if I want 2nd or next day delivery. On the package, no matter what supplier I use, it always says "Deliver By_____". One time a box of crickets was sent through DHL, it arrived a week later then the deliver by date so that box had been sitting around somewhere for nearly ten days as all the crickets died.
I was quite angry, my pets were hungry, and though the supplier did send a replacement the same happened again - the box was delivered several days past the deliver by date.

UPS on the other hand, are on time, but it always looks like they kicked our packages up to the front door. We haven't received one yet that they've delivered that didn't have scuff marks or even a whole corner dented in - not even the box that had "handle with care. fragile" on it (order of expensive light bulbs and tubes).

FedEx will drive around for days, repeatedly turning around in our driveway but the drivers always seem confused as to where we live...

USPS doesn't like shipping larger boxes from the OKC depot, so on a previous occasion our packages sat there for over two weeks.

Almost no one makes us sign for anything though, even when they're supposed to. The exception being USPS when I get registered packages from Japan - and then I think it's only because the mail lady is curious. Being as rural as it is here, the worst thing that may happen to a package outside (aside from getting hot) is that one of the cats around here will spray it.

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Have you ever had any experience with DHL? I would say it's just my area, but friends in Europe have issues with them too.
I order live insects to feed my reptiles, in order to get these insects alive I pay a hefty price on shipping - usually $10-$17 depending on the supplier, season, what I order, and if I want 2nd or next day delivery. On the package, no matter what supplier I use, it always says "Deliver By_____". One time a box of crickets was sent through DHL, it arrived a week later then the deliver by date so that box had been sitting around somewhere for nearly ten days as all the crickets died.
I was quite angry, my pets were hungry, and though the supplier did send a replacement the same happened again - the box was delivered several days past the deliver by date.

UPS on the other hand, are on time, but it always looks like they kicked our packages up to the front door. We haven't received one yet that they've delivered that didn't have scuff marks or even a whole corner dented in - not even the box that had "handle with care. fragile" on it (order of expensive light bulbs and tubes).

FedEx will drive around for days, repeatedly turning around in our driveway but the drivers always seem confused as to where we live...

USPS doesn't like shipping larger boxes from the OKC depot, so on a previous occasion our packages sat there for over two weeks.

Almost no one makes us sign for anything though, even when they're supposed to. The exception being USPS when I get registered packages from Japan - and then I think it's only because the mail lady is curious. Being as rural as it is here, the worst thing that may happen to a package outside (aside from getting hot) is that one of the cats around here will spray it.
This story kinda reminds me of the beginning of "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" where he's carrying the package and totally destroying it on the way.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

If you have to ship anything to Canada, use Fed Ex. It might sound more costly, but believe me, as a Canadian it's much much cheaper to pay $21.00 shipping for Fed Ex and next day delivery than to wait 3 months for something by USP and be hit at the door with a bill for $60.00 or even $200.00 depending on the item and it's value.
hey, Linda - did you have to pay anything extra for that package i sent you? i used the US Postal Service...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KristyKitty

This story kinda reminds me of the beginning of "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" where he's carrying the package and totally destroying it on the way.
You know that scene had to have been written by someone who repeated received very damaged packages!

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

You know that scene had to have been written by someone who repeated received very damaged packages!
yes, I bet that's true!

Not to go totally OT, but this whole discussion also reminds me of a scene from Legally Blonde, where the UPS guy comes in with a package, and the manicurist lady ends up breaking his nose
But they end up getting married

If you haven't seen the movie, it's really funny!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

hey, Linda - did you have to pay anything extra for that package i sent you? i used the US Postal Service...
No, USPS is ok. It's UPS (a courier company) that gouges us in Canada.

Speaking of... I'm going to the gym in the morning and going to take in an aquasize class in that hot little purple and black number

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Wow, they sound really unorganized.
And they shouldn't have treated you so rudely. Maybe they pay their workers low wages, so the employees aren't happy and aren't interested in keeping up a good image for their company.

But you know, in situations like this (and maybe you don't want to hear this
), I try to think positive thoughts. Like, I know the whole situation sucks, but you are in control of how it affects you. Try not to let it ruin your day. Just think of the bigger picture, like you have your family, your kitties, your home, your health, etc. A package not being delivered correctly is just a very small thing that happened. It's an inconvenience, but it's really just a drop in the ocean.
Sorry if this sounds like a bunch of cheesy optimistic-craziness
, I just think it helps when you're upset to put things in perspective. It could make you feel a lot better and be in a better mood.

I hope you get your package tomorrow with no trouble though!!
Thanks Kristy! You're totally right- i do have a lot to be thankful for.
I am normally very easy going and polite ....but these folks just pushed my last button today- and you know- i STILL never had my call returned by that manager tonight! Uh! So tomorrow hopefully i will be able to pick up my package- but i will definitely be notifying customer service about the incident and how i do not think i was treated properly. I am soo going to ask for a refund too! It's just frusterating that i paid for something and just so happened to expect this company to follow through properly and promptly and none of that happened.

I think DH could tell i was pretty ticked off too - by the 3rd time i had talked to that manager on the phone tonight i was running around the kitchen cleaning like a mad woman (i clean when i get really mad).
Still though- they have to be one of the worst companies ever!!!! I was really wanting to introduce those mornons to my louisville slugger tonight!

yes, I bet that's true!

Not to go totally OT, but this whole discussion also reminds me of a scene from Legally Blonde, where the UPS guy comes in with a package, and the manicurist lady ends up breaking his nose
But they end up getting married

If you haven't seen the movie, it's really funny!
Ohhh i love that part of the movie

flisssweetpea

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry you had such a rotten delivery experience. We had a similar one (not with UPS) a few years ago.

My husband was sick of being messed around by the delivery company not following instructions and their inability to resolve a problem. When we couldn't get an assurance that they would deliver as promised (despite all the inconvenience that we had been put to) we told them that we wanted the package that day, even if the manager had to drive over and deliver it themselves. We called head office and explained our position - I think it's really important to remain calm and matter of fact in these cases. After the local office had closed the manager had been instructed to drive the thing over to our house himself.....and he did so.

If you need to, elevate this to the next level; be calm but assertive and don't let them think that you're doing them a favour by being their customer. They are meant to provide you with (good) customer service.

Good luck.

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Thanks Kristy! You're totally right- i do have a lot to be thankful for.
I am normally very easy going and polite ....but these folks just pushed my last button today- and you know- i STILL never had my call returned by that manager tonight! Uh! So tomorrow hopefully i will be able to pick up my package- but i will definitely be notifying customer service about the incident and how i do not think i was treated properly. I am soo going to ask for a refund too! It's just frusterating that i paid for something and just so happened to expect this company to follow through properly and promptly and none of that happened.

I think DH could tell i was pretty ticked off too - by the 3rd time i had talked to that manager on the phone tonight i was running around the kitchen cleaning like a mad woman (i clean when i get really mad).
Still though- they have to be one of the worst companies ever!!!! I was really wanting to introduce those mornons to my louisville slugger tonight!
I understand. Sometimes I get really frustrated or sad about things too.
And I think when you're mad or upset, then you think of EVERYTHING that's wrong and everything looks like it's never going to work.
Well, at least for me. It's hard to stay positive sometimes. I try to put things in perspective and I think about my kitties.
Animals help sooo much, idk what I would do without my Rahja!
He's sitting on me purring right now even lol.

But yeah, you should definitely complain. Clearly they are not organized and have problems, and you're not the first one to have encountered this. Maybe writing a letter of complaint or calling customer service will help other people later on, because if they get enough complaints, they might actually do something about it!

and hehe you are just like my mom with the cleaning! She cleans whenever she is mad/upset/frustrated. Whenever I hear dishes clanging and cabinets slamming, etc. I'm like uh oh...mom's mad.
But it's a great outlet though! Then stuff gets done and she feels better.

aww, my kitty just gave me a kiss! sometimes he gives me just a teeny little love-bite on my face and then he licks it. lol awww

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
DHL is having financial problems. If they didn't get subsidies from the German government, I suspect they would have folded by now.

But let me explain something about UPS. That company is union, and while it has very strict rules (they don't allow a driver to run, for example, and any accident, no matter who is at fault, that costs more than a certain limit will result in being fired), within those rules, a delivery person has no incentive to go beyond the basic requirements. Any complaints, say, by you when you didn't get your package delivered as you expected, is very complicated to file against the driver, and if it's not totally justified, will result in a grievance being filed against the manager. Do you see, here, that there was no incentive for anyone to do anything to help you?

FedEx, on the other hand, is not only non-union, but most delivery drivers are independent contractors. They own the truck, pay for their own uniforms, and actively scout for new customers. I had a FedEx guy come by after work and deliver a package to me on his own time, on his way home, when an item didn't get delivered as it was supposed to.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think, honestly, it's the people. Granted, the Canadian issues are obviously higher up problems, but the customer service is all local. I've had good and bad UPS people. In Chicago, our neighborhood UPS driver was one of THE nicest guys, always on time and polite. The people in the UPS store in my neighborhood were also polite and helpful. Busy, but helpful.

Now, here in Portland, it's another matter. I had some beads delivered recently. I didn't have to sign for them, but I have a magnet on my door that clearly asks that all packages be left at the management office. I checked to make sure it had been delivered, so I walked back up there, asked about my box, and she had no clue (management office). So, as I headed back down the steps, there it was, sitting on my patio. Hello? Can the drivers not read?

I've had issues with other companies as well, namely a few boxes my dad sent via FedEx, but those were partially my dad's fault (not filling the box properly enough for a monitor) and partially FedEx's... for banging the box around. It wasn't pretty. The monitor was a loss.

I'm sorry all this happened over the cell phone. The only time I've had one shipped is when I had just moved here and I spilled juice on mine and didn't know the area well enough to find a Verizon store... and didn't have internet yet to look them up.

Be calm, don't let them give you any excuses. Their customer service in your area obviously stinks, so tell the higher-ups what happened.

A.