about to switch to good food....questions

owenj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I learned recently that the food I've been feeding my cats is crap (Purina indoor cat chow). I went to Petsmart and the only foods that looked decent were Blue Buffalo and something that I think was called By Nature. Any opinions on either of these?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
BOTH are VERY grainy....

some have had great results others have not...

I often recommend trying a mid level like Nutro , Royal canin less grain and the former a less$$

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

BOTH are VERY grainy....

some have had great results others have not...

I often recommend trying a mid level like Nutro , Royal canin less grain and the former a less$$
Petsmarts Authority kibble is really good for the price - has a similar level of grain to the RC Special 33 i feed [for a particular cat] but runs about $1 a pound at my Petsmart.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by SweetKara

Petco has the Wellness brand
Wellness is EXPENSIVE ... I would recommend the CORE

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The Orijen and Taste of the Wild brands are more expensive than Wellness....in this city, anyway.

Doesn't PetSmart have a points card or similar savings plan? Every bit helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

owenj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just found a store close by that carries Evo foods. I haven't seen the exact ingredients but I've read in several places that it's a very good food. Is the dry grain-free?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by owenj

I just found a store close by that carries Evo foods. I haven't seen the exact ingredients but I've read in several places that it's a very good food. Is the dry grain-free?
it is according to the ingredient list on petfooddirect.com...
Ingredients:
Turkey, Chicken Meal, Chicken, Herring Meal, Chicken Fat, Potatoes, Egg, Turkey Meal, Natural Flavors, Vitamins, Apples, Potassium Chloride, Carrots, Cranberries, Alfalfa Sprouts, Minerals, Tomatoes, Herring Oil, Cottage Cheese, Ascorbic Acid, Dried Chicory Root Extract, Direct-Fed Microbials, Vitamin E Supplement, Taurin, DL-Methionine, Lecithin, Rosemary Extract

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YES evo is grain free and is IMHO a good food

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by drfundy

I have never found Wellness at Petsmart but my local Petco has a ton of it.
Petco just started carrying the Wellness brand. They seem to have all flavors of the dry except for CORE

Originally Posted by sharky

YES evo is grain free and is IMHO a good food
Evo is a little pricey here, plus I wasn't sure how easily cats get constipated from it since it is high in protein

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
actually EVO is more likely to cause loose stools
.... In the wild cats eat 60-70% protein and 30ish fat

juliejerks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feed Gorilla Taste of The Wild. I went to a specialty food store, and the owner highly recommended it, there was a lady in the store that said she'd been feeding her cat that food forever, she showed me a picture of her kitty on her camera, and she looked GLORIOUS. Her coat was unreal! Since I've been feeding kitty that food, she's shed less, and her coat is looking better too. Her poops are always A+, and she's happy with it.
It is expensive, but I think it's worth the price.

fulpmes

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been extremely happy with Wellness -- much less vomiting by my baby and my neighbor's baby once they switched from Science Diet to Wellness. Neighbor cat apparently threw up soft food every time he had it until I convinced his mom to give Wellness a try. Now only very rare vomiting and he has soft food daily. Mine didn't vomit that often, but occasionally shifted to almost never. And her coat looked **fabulous** with the switch. We've also been happy with Innova, which may be made by the same company as Evo?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

owenj

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, I've been giving them a little Evo for the past couple of days and everybody seems to like it, and no upset bellies from what I've seen

I'll look into Wellness as well for some variety.

Thanks all!