I just lint rolled my living room carpet...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just couldn't stand it anymore!
For the past few months our vacuum just doesn't get much up. DH thought he got it working good again yesterday, but I guess not. The past few days it's looked like I had tufts of fur just all over the place. So I vacuumed, and it barely looked better! I wanted to chuck the thing out the window like that commercial where the lady throws her washer (or is it dryer?) out the window and screams "I hate set in stains!"
It took me 4 sheets to get the area rug done; while picking up pieces of cat food by hand! How they manage to get so far from the food bowls I will never understand!

I'm not quite sure what else to do to get it working right again. It's only 4 years old and part of me wants to just beg DH to splurge on a Dyson! But that seems so wasteful too.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dysons are worth every single penny!!! My husband got me a Dyson Animal (DC-17) when our old vaccume died a few months ago, and I love ours!!!
It does cost a pretty penny- but it has a lifetime warrenty and should last you for ages -it's a long term investment!!! It gets EVERYTHING up our old crappy vaccume missed. It's definitely worth the investment - it also helps if you've got allergies/asthma!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Dysons are worth every single penny!!! My husband got me a Dyson Animal (DC-17) when our old vaccume died a few months ago, and I love ours!!!
It does cost a pretty penny- but it has a lifetime warrenty and should last you for ages -it's a long term investment!!! It gets EVERYTHING up our old crappy vaccume missed. It's definitely worth the investment - it also helps if you've got allergies/asthma!!!
I just went to the Dyson website and found that one (DH does have allergies, esp to the cats) so that one looks fantastic! Maybe I can hold off a few months and see if my parent's will chip in on one for our birthdays (which are just a few days apart) or for Christmas even.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You definitely will not be disappointed- i love mine!!! It's really helped my allergies as well (i have pretty bad allergies- dust, fur, things of that nature aggervate it much worse). It does a good job of helping ease that a bit for me.

I think depending on where you get it from you might be able to get a rebate too. Also if you get it from Bed Bath & Beyond- they are constantly sending out 20% off coupons to us- you could use one of those coupons and save a little that way too (they will also take linens n' things coupons too and honor them! check out the adds!!!!)

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, a Dyson Animal is great!

But so far as your vacuum is concerned, the problem could be a worn down brush in the power bar. The bristles tend to wear down and when that happens the carpet doesn't get "swept" hence the left over hair. Suction alone won't get the hair, you need a brushing action.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You lint rolled your carpet?! My god that must've taken hours!
I can't even imagine attempting that. I get frustrated having to roll my clothes when we go out.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As to your current vacuum, here are some things to check:

1. Brush condition. If it's worn down, as the previous person said, it won't clean properly.

2. Brush belt. It might have broken without you knowing it.

3. Filters. Some vacuums have several filters, in addition to the dirt collection bag or bin. Mine has 2 extra ones. If either is clogged, it won't suck up much.

4. Hose and connections. Check to be sure the hose is clear, no obstructions.

5. Other obstructions. My vac, if you don't clean it soon enough, tends to pack twisted cat hair in the outlet from the canister to the hepa filter.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

lol, Ive never lint rolled my carpet, bur I did try to lint roll the cat tree.
I bought this at Linens and Things
http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=search
Its fantastic. And you dont have to deal with sticky tape strips. I defurred my cat tree and table chairs and it worked soooo well!
i have something similar i got at a petstore: pet hair magnet. works great on the upholstered furniture & cat trees... i don't have carpet, by choice.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom has several pairs of shoes she refers to as "carpet slippers" -- rubber-soled, so she can just scuff them along the carpet to create little rolls of felted kitty fur that she can just pick up by hand. I've tried to get her to let me handle these things for her, but she actually likes doing it!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

I can't even imagine attempting that. I get frustrated having to roll my clothes when we go out.

I think that if I ask the young lady who comes to clean every other week to do that she would resign and I love her!

I have an Electrolux and it works fine, but...

I only have Butzie and I rarely have fur around the house. Yes, she goes outside but has been spending more time inside (trying to train her) in fact, mostly all afternoon and evening. I brush her but still, I haven't had a big fur problem.

I have never seen a furball, either I think. Butzie throws up sometimes but mostly when she eats too many Greenies
and of course after she recently got her shots. A hairball should look like a furry ball, right? BTW, our vet had already determined Butzie probably has a delicate stomach (just like me and my son
).

We just went to the vet and she said that Butzie looks great, her fur is fine and her teeth are great (thank goodness!) She said that Butzie is in purrfect health except for her heart murmur but we all know that.

So, am I just lucky with Butzie?

Do I have i

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

I think that if I ask the young lady who comes to clean every other week to do that she would resign and I love her!

I have an Electrolux and it works fine, but...

I only have Butzie and I rarely have fur around the house. Yes, she goes outside but has been spending more time inside (trying to train her) in fact, mostly all afternoon and evening. I brush her but still, I haven't had a big fur problem.

I have never seen a furball, either I think. Butzie throws up sometimes but mostly when she eats too many Greenies
and of course after she recently got her shots. A hairball should look like a furry ball, right? BTW, our vet had already determined Butzie probably has a delicate stomach (just like me and my son
).

We just went to the vet and she said that Butzie looks great, her fur is fine and her teeth are great (thank goodness!) She said that Butzie is in purrfect health except for her heart murmur but we all know that.

So, am I just lucky with Butzie?

Do I have i
I don't know exactly why the last line is there...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pushylady

It really didn't take long. I mostly stuck to the area rug and my living room really isn't that big. The icky blue wall to wall carpet under the area rug looks bad no matter what. It really need replacing.

After doing all that though, I got out the Furminator and my girls both received good brushings!

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Rob's mom has a Kirby ... and it's horrible! Especially for such a pricey vacuum. When I vacuum our room, it barely picks up any of the hair caught in the rug, and you have to go over the same spot 3 or 4 times to pick up a piece of litter

I need to "rake" the carpet in there, maybe that'll be more effective with picking up the hair (mostly mine
I shed more than Katina!) than the vacuum. Both of us agree on getting a Dyson when we've got our house

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

My mom has several pairs of shoes she refers to as "carpet slippers" -- rubber-soled, so she can just scuff them along the carpet to create little rolls of felted kitty fur that she can just pick up by hand. I've tried to get her to let me handle these things for her, but she actually likes doing it!
My husband does that too, with his tennis shoes on.
I have a hand rake tool that is used for grooming long haired dogs - it also workes on carpet. I have the rubber tipped brush, the rubber edged scrapper, lint roller that require more rolls of paper and ones that you just wash off the outside and dry for reuse, and a yellow sponge that that is made for taking pet hair off of the clothing. I'm geting a Dyson, but we had a builtin vac system and two regular vacs.
I grew up with wood flooring - cold feet and daily cleaning. I have tile and carpet - daily cleaning.
But my dogs and cats are worth it.