I'm so depressed

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Due to Gary's health, we made the decision to move back into our RV full time. Five of our six were rescued here, and even Ming Loy has been on several trips in the RV. We know how to maximize all the space (including vertical space) for them, so we're all quite comfortable. In fact, we're convinced that the space of the houses we've lived in the past four years made them more territorial, because there's been no hissing, batting or fighting.

...but we're back in the RV park that launched us into the world of cat rescue. And while it's very rewarding to know our TNR efforts were successful, the current situation is such a bummer!

People in the park are only aware of five feral cats.
Three of them already made their way to us. We got them all in to the vet yesterday. They looked to us to be 5 - 6 months old, and that's what they are. Two are male. They've been neutered and ear-tipped and are recuperating well.

The third was a little black female, who looked pregnant. She was - and went into labor this morning. She's had three kittens so far.

While I'm really pleased they were born inside and have a shot at socialization and adoption - we can't foster her and the kittens. We the vet staff is full up or already fostering - and we don't know anyone who's in a position to foster. It's the wrong season.

I've e-mailed all the local orgs. But I doubt we'll find any takers. Thankfully, the Doc that owns the hospital says she and the kittens can stay there for free unless/until they need the space. It's a nice boarding facility, and she's not near sick cats. The vet staff are very caring, and they'll handle the kitties and do the best they can to socialize the kitties, so hopefully we'll be able to find them homes.

But she and the two boys were SO cuddly together! I've never seen feral kitties so loving and snuggly with each other. ...and we're so worried about what's going to happen to her. If we have to release her 8 - 12 weeks from now, I totally doubt the three of them will become so snuggly and cuddly again.

This is just the worst. I really hate the emotional aspects of rescue!

Laurie

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sent out 22 e-mails to rescues from eastern PA to Central NJ. 3 of them were foster-only orgs. We could use some vibes that we're able to find a foster family for this baby and her babies. There's four of them now.

Laurie

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know. It can break your heart because you want to scoop them up and love them all.

Just keep pressing.
I know you are full as am I. I can't take anymore on than the 6 I have. I hate not being able to take on a few extras but I can't save the world.
This is the hardest time of the year. The shelters are full and kittens are everywhere.
You are doing all you can at the moment. More vibes can never hurt.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending lots of vibes for mama and babies and hugs for you, Laurie.

wendyr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh Laurie! Lots of vibes!

All this stuff can be so sad, but I am so happy that we live in a world where there are people like you and Gary who care so much about the well-being of these cats.

More vibes!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
THANK YOU for all your vibes! I think they're working! We might have found a foster family! We're e-mailing back and forth right now.

Laurie

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

THANK YOU for all your vibes! I think they're working! We might have found a foster family! We're e-mailing back and forth right now.

Laurie
That's awesome, Laurie! Sending lots of vibes that it all works out.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck Laurie, I hope it all works out!!!! I wish I was close enough to help out!

ipw533

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about adopting them out just yet--you have bigger worries that need to be addressed first. If the kittens are still with their mother she will nurse them; otherwise it's up to you to bottle feed them. And they must be kept warm. It seems ridiculous to say that in August, but newborn kittens are unable to generate their own body heat and are vulnerable to hypothermia at all times.

If the kittens were born to a stray or feral mother it is vital to have the mother tested for FIV/FELV--if she's negative the kittens get a clean pass, but otherwise they will need to be tested individually. Be advised that false positive results are common among kittens.

Diarrhea and worms are also common among stray/feral kittens, and they can rapidly dehydrate the kitten. Keep the kittens hydrated with a shot of Pedialite and watch out for worms.

Worms (usually roundworms) manifest themselves in a kitten's distended belly and runny feces. Revolution is an effective wormer as well as a flea killer. Otherwise give the kitten a quarter tablet of Drontal; if no result follow up with .01cc of Strongit. Diarrhea, dehydration and related stress is a major killer of kittens under a month old; they can also kill adults....

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We're not worried about adopting them out. We're trying to locate a foster, because we can't anymore. We have six cats, two of which do NOT like newbies, and we live in 300 square feet.

Thanks for the advice - but we're already familiar with the problems, having rescued and fostered many over the past years.

We took three feral kittens to the vet to be spayed and neutered (two males, one female) - she went into labor. So she's at the vet, being well cared for until we can find a foster home for her - which it looks like we might have done. Hopefully she'll go to her foster mom & dad on Monday.

Laurie

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Good luck Laurie, I hope it all works out!!!! I wish I was close enough to help out!
I think it is. Unfortunately, California is just a touch too far!
I couldn't ask for a better foster mommy though! ....And you've had your hands full - and need to get back to studying!

Laurie

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ahhh I only have 2 little ones left and they're easy to take care of - they just play with each other and come to us for cuddles. It's actually feeling a little quiet in my house now

As well as that DH is nagging me to go out and do more trapping, and just got me to search YouTube for kitten birth videos and said he'd love to see a cat have kittens and watch the kittens grow from birth.

Keep us updated on the foster home!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The kittens have gone to a GREAT foster home! We met the foster mom and her BF at the vet hospital last evening. What incredible people. The "small" foster network she runs has homed 1,400 kitties since they began in 2002.

She was SO surprised at how sweet and friendly LBK is. We told her LBK is semi-feral because it's what she is - but since having had her babies she is just not skittish at all.

....and we went over to the vet at lunch time yesterday to pick up the boys to release them. We were so worried they were going to bolt. Silly (the grey one) did - but Bubbles just ran a bit into the woods, sit up on a big rock, and cried and cried for his sister and brother. We'd put food out before we released them.

1/2 hour later, Silly was back, eating.
As I watched out the window, Bubbles came back too. And they've been around since, and SO loving! They're so happy to be back home.

They're still really skittish - but with food around, they want pets - and Silly, with a little help, laid down in my lap for pets! He was purring and kneading! So no matter what happens it's going to be heartbreaking - if we still lived in a house, these cats would be ours.
But we're going to try to find them homes. In fact, we're probably going to wait about a week and then call the woman who took LBK and her kittens to see if she's got someone willing to foster these two. They will make absolutely the sweetest pets once they get over their fear.

Laurie

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are an angel on earth I have to tell you. Those cats were blessed the moment you saw them. You have found a wonderful resource in this foster network.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
sorry I haven't been keeping up with this Laurie! What a fabulous happy ending to this!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They named the momma cat Gwenivere.

As to the boys, we renamed them Billy and Bing. It would have made sense to rename Silly Billy, but as he's more like Ricochet Rabbit, he's Bing.

They continue to be total cuddle/love bugs. Poor Gary was freaking out yesterday worrying about the cats because it was absolutely pouring. Can you imagine what he'll be like this winter if the kitties are still here?
I've sent Chris two updates on the boys - kind of prepping her, though I don't know if she knows that yet.

Laurie