*****KatKwery! - August 1 - 109,808 free points!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, the KatKwery playoffs payout has advanced again! What will it be by October 1? Even if you have zero points now, you can easily still be in the playoffs and win 109,808 (or more) points. And the kats promise the most exciting game ever on TCS, and certainly the biggest payout.

Yam102284 used the word points unwittingly, I must say. In theory you would have used the secret word points in answering the first question, but once again according to the rules she must be the winner! Luvmycat1 won with the word expensive and even though Glitch wrote about a million words, did not use any of the remaining words: amount, history*, forget.

*as in History File

Today's KatKwiz was about using Forum tools.

Have you ever even noticed Forum Tools before? Did you see it and just ignore it perhaps? For opening a new thread, going to forum tools would take one more step than that described in today's KatKwiz; what benefit could that have? Can you think of any benefit to any of the other things in Forum Tools? Have you noticed before that there are sometimes more than one way to accomplish various actions?

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you ever even noticed Forum Tools before?

I had not really noticed it before

Did you see it and just ignore it perhaps?

I guess not seeing it could be construed as ignoring it,

For opening a new thread, going to forum tools would take one more step than that described in today's KatKwiz; what benefit could that have?

Not really sure, but I will look at it in the future.

Can you think of any benefit to any of the other things in Forum Tools?

Personally, I don't think that there is anything in there that I will use.

Have you noticed before that there are sometimes more than one way to accomplish various actions?

That is true with a lot of things in life.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Yep, the KatKwery playoffs payout has advanced again! What will it be by October 1? Even if you have zero points now, you can easily still be in the playoffs and win 109,808 (or more) points. And the kats promise the most exciting game ever on TCS, and certainly the biggest payout.

Yam102284 used the word points unwittingly, I must say. In theory you would have used the secret word points in answering the first question, but once again according to the rules she must be the winner! Luvmycat1 won with the word expensive and even though Glitch wrote about a million words, did not use any of the remaining words: amount, history*, forget.

*as in History File

Have you ever even noticed Forum Tools before? Did you see it and just ignore it perhaps? For opening a new thread, going to forum tools would take one more step than that described in today's KatKwiz; what benefit could that have? Can you think of any benefit to any of the other things in Forum Tools? Have you noticed before that there are sometimes more than one way to accomplish various actions?
I've always knew forum tools is there but I never use it. I can't see how clicking that would be better than using the blue new thread button. The subcribe button in forum tools can be useful. I have noticed there are more ways than one to get somewhere on TCS

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Again, thank you for my points

I have never noticed the Forum Tools before. I was trying to look for the answer today, but I'm at work, so I did not have a lot of time to look. I guess I just skipped right over that and didn't realize that it was there. I don't know if it would use that button before I would use the New Thread button. I guess to use the Forum Tools would take one more step and I'm too lazy to do that.
I guess a benefit to another item in the Forum Tools is that you could subscribe to it or make it as read. I have noticed that there are more than one way to do certain things on the site, but I usually take the easy way out and stick to things I know.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I apparently have not paid much attention to the Forum Tools because I spent about 10 minutes just now trying to figure out where they were located! I think I've clicked on them before, but I could not for the life of me remember where on earth they were! Boy, do I feel silly! I suppose that I would fall into the category of people who saw it and just ignored completely!

I don't know what the purpose of using an extra step to post a new thread would be, but the other options in the Forum tools could be helpful. I can see people using the option to Mark Forum Read, to Subscribe to This Forum, and even to View Parent Forum in several different circumstances. I personally like to subscribe to certain threads to keep updated on what's going on, but I've never tried subscribing to an entire section of The Cat Site. I may have to try that and see if I like it.

I am glad that there are sometimes several options to perform a specific action on the forum pages. That way, I can just do whatever is most convenient for me at that moment. Plus, if I forget one route to accomplish a certain task, I may be able to find a different one!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

actually, i always use the Forum Tools to start a new thread. i also use the Thread Tools to subscribe to a thread i want to read, but have nothing to post... & i use the Search bar for searching for specific posts w/in a thread.
i'm unsure of any benefits to adding the extra step, but that's the way i've always done it. i've seen threads rated using the Thread Tools, but since i don't wish to subscribe to any forum, i've never used the other forum tools. don't want to mark anything 'read' either - i might want to read it at another time! i can see a use for the 'printable version' of a page [found in Thread Tools] & the email choice, too. & yes, i've noticed that there are often multiple ways to accomplish the same task!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

*as in History File

Oh thats me all over! I figured if I kept writing I would have gotten one right!

okay Ive seen the forum tools thingy but never once have I clicked on it!! Never felt the need I guess! I always click on that weird yellow red thingy to start a new thread! I guess sometimes maybe I should look around a little more! Im sure there has to be a benefit to using it otherwise it wouldn't be there but since I have never myself used it I dont know! The parent thread thing is just weird... so no I guess I dont have much use for it! I never mark my threads read because I sometimes go back and read them again! There is always more than one way to do anything! You just have to be patient and figure it out and patient I am not. I dont have any patience... Im sure theres many purposes for the forum tools thing-a-ma-bob but Im not seeing any so far so maybe someone else will explain it to me! Or maybe I should take the five minutes to figure it out myself... nope talk to you later!

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh wow. Forum tools! I had NO idea, LOL! Obviously I didn't know about them, but I think the reason is that I rarely just "begin" in a forum. When I log onto TCS, I hit User CP so I can see all the threads I've subscribed to that have new posts. Then, if I ever get through all those, I click on New Posts so I can see what's up around the site. Then I use the Search tool and search katkwery and katkqwiz. (really! I do!)

In the unlikely event that I read a thread and don't respond (but do want to see others' responses,) I click on Thread Tools to subscribe to the thread. So I learned something new today!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Oh wow. Forum tools! I had NO idea, LOL! Obviously I didn't know about them, but I think the reason is that I rarely just "begin" in a forum. When I log onto TCS, I hit User CP so I can see all the threads I've subscribed to that have new posts. Then, if I ever get through all those, I click on New Posts so I can see what's up around the site. Then I use the Search tool and search katkwery and katkqwiz. (really! I do!)

In the unlikely event that I read a thread and don't respond (but do want to see others' responses,) I click on Thread Tools to subscribe to the thread. So I learned something new today!
the bookmark i have for TCS is the one for my subscribed threads, since i've chosen the 'no email option'. i have mine set up to subscribe to every thread i post in, so i can keep track of posts... & like you, i occasionally subscribe w/o posting initially - especially in the pregnancy threads... i want to know when the kittens come, but since i've never had a pregnant cat, i have no advice/info to share.