UPDATE Sneezing, Coughing cat [pics]

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So for you people who read my other thread about Cleo, we took her to the vet which costs us a lot since we had to get xrays and a lot of other things.

Results were good she had a swollen traik, so the vet gave her a shot of steroids that will last for 3 weeks and an eyedropper of antibiotics/potassium and some other things that I can't pronounce. It's only been a couple of days but I haven't herd her cough yet (crossing fingers).

Her eyes are blue because of the stupid flash on my camera, don't though I was zoomed, I wasn't that close to her.

Here is a picture of her tail because it is very long and the colors on it are magnificent, they might be hard to sleep because of the blanket colors too, but notice the little white tip, she is so finiky about that she is always cleaning it.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm glad shes doing better, she is beautiful, what a little doll she is.

Continued

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Cloe is a beautiful darling. I'm so happy to hear that she's recovering....let's hope it continues its positive journey

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MAXCAT08

Cloe is a beautiful darling. I'm so happy to hear that she's recovering....let's hope it continues its positive journey
ahm, it's Cleo =D

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey what is the best way to administer these eye droppers of antibiotics to the cat, cleo does not like it one bit.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I haven't met a cat yet that likes that sort of thing.

If Cleo is laying on her side...try to keep her head still, put the syringe in the corner of her mouth, near the jaw....her mouth doesn't have to open as there are no teeth there. Then squirt in the medecine and try to keep her mouth closed if she tries to open it.
So you don't waste medecine...try doing it with a bit of water till you have the technique mastered, and not too much water is spilling out of her mouth.

I have to give Phoebe 1 ml of medicine twice a day....and it's getting easier...and I also show her a few Greenies to get her interested...

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MAXCAT08

I haven't met a cat yet that likes that sort of thing.

If Cleo is laying on her side...try to keep her head still, put the syringe in the corner of her mouth, near the jaw....her mouth doesn't have to open as there are no teeth there. Then squirt in the medecine and try to keep her mouth closed if she tries to open it.
So you don't waste medecine...try doing it with a bit of water till you have the technique mastered, and not too much water is spilling out of her mouth.

I have to give Phoebe 1 ml of medicine twice a day....and it's getting easier...and I also show her a few Greenies to get her interested...
Oh man, bribing your cat with drugs XD thanks ffor the tipe though.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by breakyourface

Oh man, bribing your cat with drugs XD thanks ffor the tipe though.
don't know if these will work w/liquids, but if Cleo likes soft treats, you might want to try them: pill pockets.
otherwise, you just force it into her. i always get pills when i can - i find them much easier to administer than liquids, myself.
Cleo is lovely - resembles my Java a bit!

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I learned to give meds with a syringe by sticking the tip into the kittens little cheek pocket on either side of their mouth. The skin there is rather loose, so you can just slide the syringe in and squirt in the meds. If you have to give more than .5 cc at a time, I'd let her start to swallow part before trying to give all of it.

I'm having to administer 2 liquid antibiotics 3 times a day to my kittens right now, and they must taste simply horrible because the kittens hate this stuff more than any meds I've given before. They struggle so much that hubby and I have to team up to get it done. If Cleo struggles alot, too, you may want to try gently, but firmly, wrapping her in a towel so that only her head is exposed so it is harder for her to squirm around and get away. Then you can just tip her head back a bit and administer the meds. Oh, and I've also heard that blowing on a kitty's nose a bit right after putting meds in her mouth encourages swallowing. Don't know if that actually works, though.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How well I remember the days of administering oral antibiotics to Hannah! I would kneel on the ground and cross my ankles under me, then put the kitty on the floor between my knees, tail towards my feet. Open mouth a bit, squirt the liquid into the side of the mouth. Squatting/Kneeling on the floor keeps them from backing up under you and escaping the hold.

You can also wrap 'em up in an old towel like a burrito and have someone else hold the kitty while you squirt the med in.

I usually have more success with sticking 'em between my legs though.