1st anniversary of Minnesota bridge collapse

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is a sad day for Minnesota and the rest of the country. Exactly one year ago the 35W bridge collapsed and killed 13 people and injured about 145 others. There will be memorial services today in Minneapolis, and at the exact time of the collapse, 6:05 p.m. cdt, bells will be rung and the names of the 13 people killed will be read.

I have heard that the promises to repair dangerous bridges around the country haven't been kept, and so far, only 10% of these bridges have been fixed.
Scary!!!!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

I have heard that the promises to repair dangerous bridges around the country haven't been kept, and so far, only 10% of these bridges have been fixed.
Scary!!!!
Unfortunately, I've heard that statistic as well.

This memorial service sounds like a wonderful way to honor those who perished in this senseless tragedy. I can only hope those bridges deemed unsafe are published somewhere, so we all can avoid them.

Thank you for posting this!!

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Lorie D.

and so far, only 10% of these bridges have been fixed. ... Scary!!!!
RIP to those poor people who died that day...

for the security of the people I hope that goal can be reached soon....

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Unfortunately, I've heard that statistic as well.

This memorial service sounds like a wonderful way to honor those who perished in this senseless tragedy. I can only hope those bridges deemed unsafe are published somewhere, so we all can avoid them.

Thank you for posting this!!
I have heard those stats as well. Funny how we can spend all that money for "aid" (I have nothing but the utmost respect for those participating in delivering this aid) to foreign countries but we don't have any $ to repair our infrastructures. It seems it takes a disaster - like the bridge in MN and the collapse of the Cypress Structure during the Loma Prieta earthquake - to get repairs done. That is just my

The memorial is a great idea.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I can only hope those bridges deemed unsafe are published somewhere, so we all can avoid them.
Excellent idea!
Maybe there should be a national booklet with a complete listing of all these bridges.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They built a new bridge here a few years ago ... the Arthur Ravenel Jr bridge. It replaced two rickety old bridges from the 1920s/30s. Those bridges rated 4 out of 100 on safety ... 100 being best ... when they were blown up. They shook and swayed and were VERY unsafe. I'd never ridden over them because Rob hated them.

RIP to those who lost their lives in MN

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That was such a scary day. I remember trying to call my dad to make sure he got home from work okay, and no phone lines were available. My prayers are with the families of the people who were killed.