seizure

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I witnessed a friend have a seizure. She was fine one second and collapsed the next. I am still kind of freaked out about it. I can't concentrate because I keep thinking about her. I have never seen a person have one before, but i think it was really a bad one. Of course I called 911. Others were there to roll her to the side and try to keep her from hurting herself. She was confused when the paramedics got here, but shortly came out of it. They took her to the ER. She was released with instructions to see a neurologist.

She had another one last night at home with her husband. This time the hospital admitted her.

I know there are a lot of nurses on this site and other really smart people, so I figured I'd ask. Is it unusual for seizures to happen back to back like that? Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with it? She had never had one before and it does not run in her family. Other than not being able to drive, swim, or get on a ladder (doctor's orders) - I mean, you still need to do day to day things. Making dinner can be dangerous. How do other people cope?

She has a baby who is almost 3. Please keep her in your prayers. Thank you.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh gosh... I don't know much about these things, but I will send up a good thought for your friend. I hope they'll find it's something simple and easy to remedy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Oh gosh... I don't know much about these things, but I will send up a good thought for your friend. I hope they'll find it's something simple and easy to remedy.
Oh, me too. Thank you!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is not unusual to have seizures back to back. I am surprised they didn't admit her the first time since she never had them before.

She needs to see a good neurologist who will get her on one or two medications to control the seizures. It may be trial and error at first but there are good medications out there now.

This isn't the end of the world! 25 or so years ago, I had 2 seizures back to back. I never had anymore but was on medication for 10 years before being weened off. I lost my driver's license for 6 months but I refused to drive for over 1 yr. I was still able to do my daily activities. She just needs to be careful. If she starts to feel strange, she needs to sit down and take deep breaths. Even though I never had another seizure, I did have "auras" or warning signals of one. It is similar to the aura people get before a migraine. That is the only thing remaining from my seizures, is the migraines. Thankfully, they are few and far between. I have them only a couple of times a year.

The most important thing is to remain her friend. I know it was a freaky thing to witness, but she needs you! I was lucky that my 2 seizures happened at home, while I was asleep. I have no memory of the incidents as that day is completely blocked. I just remember waking up in the hospital the next day. DH and my Mom told me I sat in bed that night and called my boss and all my friends, but I don't remember a thing.

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that the best thing that you can do is be there for your friend and her family. Healing vibes for your friend

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

It is not unusual to have seizures back to back. I am surprised they didn't admit her the first time since she never had them before.

She needs to see a good neurologist who will get her on one or two medications to control the seizures. It may be trial and error at first but there are good medications out there now.

This isn't the end of the world! 25 or so years ago, I had 2 seizures back to back. I never had anymore but was on medication for 10 years before being weened off. I lost my driver's license for 6 months but I refused to drive for over 1 yr. I was still able to do my daily activities. She just needs to be careful. If she starts to feel strange, she needs to sit down and take deep breaths. Even though I never had another seizure, I did have "auras" or warning signals of one. It is similar to the aura people get before a migraine. That is the only thing remaining from my seizures, is the migraines. Thankfully, they are few and far between. I have them only a couple of times a year.

The most important thing is to remain her friend. I know it was a freaky thing to witness, but she needs you! I was lucky that my 2 seizures happened at home, while I was asleep. I have no memory of the incidents as that day is completely blocked. I just remember waking up in the hospital the next day. DH and my Mom told me I sat in bed that night and called my boss and all my friends, but I don't remember a thing.
Thank you. Your post made me feel so much better. The hospital is trying to get a neurologist to see her today.

Of course I will remain her friend! I didn't mean I was freaked out in the sense that I didn't ant to be around her. I want to protect her!
Originally Posted by WELDRWOMN

I think that the best thing that you can do is be there for your friend and her family. Healing vibes for your friend
Originally Posted by MonaxLisa

Oh how awful!! Lots of healing vibes
Thank you both!

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know how scary that can be! When I was younger, I first witnessed someone having a seizure while we were shopping at Kroger. I was terrified! Two of my good friends when I was growing up had epilepsy, but luckily they rarely had seizures.

Sending lots of healing vibes for your friend!

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few years back my co-worker had a seizure in front of me. Scariest thing I ever saw. I had a very hard time finishing the day. It happened around 11am and we were open until 7pm. I know how you feel in that respect.

It's best she talk to her doctors on what is causing them. I have a friend who is suffering from multiple ones right now but she has a severe condition that I rather not go into. She is on anti seizure medicine. I hope they find the cause and they stop.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are 3,000 different types of seizures. They can last from a fraction of a second to several minutes. Some look like the person was day dreaming, some can "freeze" the body, some can appear as repetitive movements such as "tics," some can involve body parts shaking.
You want to put the person in a protected position, lying on the left side is preferred, watching the progression of the movements and location of the movements and how long it lasts. The order of progession and description of the movement can help identify the type of seizure. This is helpful in determining the treatment as some of the drugs work better on certain types of seiures.

Since she is now being diagnosed as having seizures, a 911 call will not always be the correct response. If she has difficult breathing, the lips/mouth area start turning blue or the seizure lasts for more than 5 minutes, then you will always call 911. For a seizure that doesn't met the above criteria, the doctor will usually recommend that the person take valium to prevent another seizure and rest for a few hours. A seizure has been described to me as having 3 days worth of brain activity in 3 minutes, which leave the person exhausted.

As her friend, you can be so helpful right now. Be her chauffeur. If she has a seizure while you are around, direct others what to do (protect her privacy by forming a screen, helping with her child if he is there, calling 911 if appropriate, calling her spouse - have his numbers on your cell phone) - others will help if you take the lead and show them what to do. Her child is old enough to learn to call 911 if she has a seizure. In our area, there is no charge if the paramedics don't transport, so having her son call just in case would be smart.

Now that you know it can happen, you won't freak out. Remain calm so you can help her. There are stupid people who will be afraid, but most of them don't have the knowledge that can take away the fear.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

A few years back my co-worker had a seizure in front of me. Scariest thing I ever saw. I had a very hard time finishing the day. It happened around 11am and we were open until 7pm. I know how you feel in that respect.

It's best she talk to her doctors on what is causing them. I have a friend who is suffering from multiple ones right now but she has a severe condition that I rather not go into. She is on anti seizure medicine. I hope they find the cause and they stop.
She has been admitted to the hospital. We were told that the doctor would be by today, but it may be as late as 10PM and he may or may not order more tests. She had a cat scan yesterday and it was clear. I absolutely agree that if a cause isn't determined while in the hospital, she should persue it later. Thanks for your well wishes.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

There are 3,000 different types of seizures. They can last from a fraction of a second to several minutes. Some look like the person was day dreaming, some can "freeze" the body, some can appear as repetitive movements such as "tics," some can involve body parts shaking.
You want to put the person in a protected position, lying on the left side is preferred, watching the progression of the movements and location of the movements and how long it lasts. The order of progession and description of the movement can help identify the type of seizure. This is helpful in determining the treatment as some of the drugs work better on certain types of seiures.

Since she is now being diagnosed as having seizures, a 911 call will not always be the correct response. If she has difficult breathing, the lips/mouth area start turning blue or the seizure lasts for more than 5 minutes, then you will always call 911.
I work with her. She was sitting at her desk. She was her normal bubbly self. Then she passed out and fell out of her chair. She started violently shaking and her saliva was foaming. Her lips did turn blue. That was the scariest part. I didn't know if she was going to live through it. I was on the phone with 911 and couldn't tell if she was breathing, but it didn't look like it. She was a few feet away with 2 other people holding her on her side. They couldn't find her breath for a little while. Then she became stiff as a board and relaxed about a minute later. I think the whole thing lasted about 5 minutes.

Originally Posted by Mom of 4

For a seizure that doesn't met the above criteria, the doctor will usually recommend that the person take valium to prevent another seizure and rest for a few hours. A seizure has been described to me as having 3 days worth of brain activity in 3 minutes, which leave the person exhausted.

As her friend, you can be so helpful right now. Be her chauffeur. If she has a seizure while you are around, direct others what to do (protect her privacy by forming a screen, helping with her child if he is there, calling 911 if appropriate, calling her spouse - have his numbers on your cell phone) - others will help if you take the lead and show them what to do. Her child is old enough to learn to call 911 if she has a seizure. In our area, there is no charge if the paramedics don't transport, so having her son call just in case would be smart.

Now that you know it can happen, you won't freak out. Remain calm so you can help her. There are stupid people who will be afraid, but most of them don't have the knowledge that can take away the fear.
Yes, knowing about it helps a lot. I didn't even know what was happening at first. Her daughter will be 3 in September and agree that she should learn 911.
Thank you for your post. It was very helpful.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I totally know how you feel when I was in grade school my best friend was sitting beside me at the computer one minute then on the floor having a seizure the next and it was my first time seeing one so I was sooo freaked out.

She was diagnosed with epilepsy and has been on meds for a long time now. Her seizures seem to be getting better since flashing lights don't bother her and trigger a seizure anymore which is a good thing but she can't go on roller coasters and she can't eat chocolate.

I hope your friend finds out what triggered her seizure and hopefully the doctors can help her control them.

And congrats to you for being a good friend and looking out for your friend in her time of need

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I know how scary that can be! When I was younger, I first witnessed someone having a seizure while we were shopping at Kroger. I was terrified! Two of my good friends when I was growing up had epilepsy, but luckily they rarely had seizures.

Sending lots of healing vibes for your friend!
Thank you! Sorry - somehow I missed your post earlier.

Thank you Mer636 and again, CarolPetunia.

I want to go see her when I get out of work, but I have to stop home first. It's Oliver's birthday and I always make a special kitty cake for him (canned food - 2 layers, decorated with kitty treats, catnip leaves, and shrimp - split between 4 cats). I want to give it to him at the regular feeding time. I'll go see her after that.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh that can be so frightening! I've been around situations like that somewhat regularly when I was growing up. Mostly from when my mother was working for a school for the deaf when I was younger. Now I work for a neurologist so I see lots of people who have them, but no one has had a seizure when I've been in the office. I can usually tell when someone is calling to let us know they had one, just by their voice. They usually sound soo drained and sometimes their speech is slurred a bit too.

When I was in college I had 2 courses with a professor who had epilepsy. He would let the whole class know at the beginning of the semester that he would signal us by holding one finger up if he had one. Just once during class did he have to do that and it only lasted about 20 seconds and then he was pretty much fine. I guess he'd had the disorder so long he was used to it all.

lore

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

Yesterday I witnessed a friend have a seizure. She was fine one second and collapsed the next. I am still kind of freaked out about it. I can't concentrate because I keep thinking about her. I have never seen a person have one before, but i think it was really a bad one. Of course I called 911. Others were there to roll her to the side and try to keep her from hurting herself. She was confused when the paramedics got here, but shortly came out of it. They took her to the ER. She was released with instructions to see a neurologist.

She had another one last night at home with her husband. This time the hospital admitted her.

I know there are a lot of nurses on this site and other really smart people, so I figured I'd ask. Is it unusual for seizures to happen back to back like that? Do you have any suggestions on how to deal with it? She had never had one before and it does not run in her family. Other than not being able to drive, swim, or get on a ladder (doctor's orders) - I mean, you still need to do day to day things. Making dinner can be dangerous. How do other people cope?

She has a baby who is almost 3. Please keep her in your prayers. Thank you.
A year and a half ago... maybe a little more... anyway... I had a Grand Maul Seizure in the middle of the night & was taken away by Ambulance, then was sent home, then had 2 more at home the next day back to back, NEVER had I had seizures before in my life, nor is there anything like that in my family, no reason for me to have something like that happen to me, after a stay in the hospital, scans, etc, just from those 3 seizures alone... I was diagnosed with Epelipsy.... apparently for YEARS I had been having small ones but didnt know it... I always would get that 'deja'vu' feeling like you know you've done something before and know whats happening next... yes we almost all have... its a 'partial seizure' if that comes along with 'butterflies/nausea' in the stomach. (who knew) - Thus I now take anti Seizure Medication 2x's a day for the rest of my life. I have Never had another seizure other than those 3 that I had... even tho they always ask when I visited my Neurologist every 3 months (now I dont have to go except every 6 months so long as I have no bad stuff going on) Makes me wonder... even tho I'm ON meds... could one happen? scary... I couldnt drive for the first 6 months tho of taking meds... so I guess they would have known by now if the meds were not working right...

I hope all is well with your friend, I couldnt Imagine seeing someone having a seizure either, that must be a horrifing sight to see a loved one go thorugh... I feel bad for my husband who had to see me... yikes.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had seizures before (Thank goodness) but i do have severe Vertigo that totally interfers with my day to day chores if i don't take my meds for it. My doctor put me on Valium to control it (i take a 1/2 pill every 8 hours- if i miss a dose i will have a spell in most cases). Valium is also used to control seizures as well. My sweet friend Ari sufferes from seizures as well and they give her valium and something else to help with it. She sees her doctor once a year for a sleep study too where they put little pad things on her head and monitor her in her sleep. Hers stays under control with good doctor supervision and meds.

Just in case though- it is ALWAYS good to know what to do in the event you see anyone else have one. Always put them on their side and call 911 and follow their instructions.

I personally have delt with seizures several times in animals as a vet tech - but never people. The main thing i do when i have an animal who is having one is to get them on their side and have their head facing down a bit so that if they vomit- they won't aspirate it into their lungs - the same can be done with people.