Sick 4 week old!

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One my my rescue/foster kittens just got diagnosed with Giardia!!

She had been having bad diarrhea for a while. She also just started losing her energy and was eating less. I took her to the vet 2 times (I work with a rescue, this is the clinic the rescue just left due to conflict with the vet, but the rescue was still sending fosters there) and both times she was sent home that day...once with Panacur and once with nothing. They didn't tell me what was going on with her and I was shocked they never gave her any SC fluids or kept her overnight (she is under 1 pound and very dehydrated due to the diarrhea). So today the rescue took her to their current clinic and diagnosed her with Giardia, and have her on fluids and will prob keep her the whole weekend! I am so relieved she is at a hospital getting treatment but am worried about her! (I just lost a kitten on Sunday and am so scared to lose another
!). Please pray for her!!

Here are a couple of pics of Fiona

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Giardia is very hard on young kittens. I lost one or two around that age. The rest pulled thru. The problem is they don't have a lot to fight with. I will send vibes that the kitten pulls thru.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melissa4321

What is Giardia?
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?articleid=738

basically, it causes diarrhea (which in turn causes dehydration and other symptoms) and affects younger cats more. A lot of cats will be exposed to it but never develop symptoms as their body fights it off.

Fiona was getting so weak
My other kitty that just died (Shiloh) had similar symptoms and now I am wondering if that's what he had and if so if that's how Fiona got it.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! Sending lots of get well vibes her way.

I would lodge a complaint about the other vet.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks.

I will update on her status when I find out this afternoon. Last I heard is she was perking up a bit with the fluids.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You know, oddly enough, I wondered about giardia or a similar infection from the way you described Shiloh. But it just would have been a wild guess, anyway.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

You know, oddly enough, I wondered about giardia or a similar infection from the way you described Shiloh. But it just would have been a wild guess, anyway.
ya, it definitely seems to fit him

The tech thinks it could have been that on top of congenital problems, but we'll never know. At least he is healthy now and had lots of love while he was here.

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fiona is still in the hospital but her stools are almost formed! That is a good sign

Now, I just got 2 more kittens that someone found and I believe one has rectal prolapse!! Poor guy, he looks like he's in so much pain. I'm taking him in this morning...I hope it's not too bad and can be fixed without surgery!

Thanks for the vibes and prayers!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor babies, your a good person for helping these little ones out. Good luck with Fiona and the other little ones.

Prayers and

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fiona is still getting better and I should be able to pick her up on Monday!

The other kitten (unnamed right now, the one with rectal prolapse) was seen by a vet today and they are keeping him for the weekend. Poor guy...he went to the vet that did a horrible job with Shiloh and Fiona, he was dropped off there at 9 this morning and they didn't look at him until 1. He was in so much pain, couldn't sit properly b/c of the pain, and couldn't go to the bathroom that well and was covered in poo. And they just let him sit there for hours

Hopefully he is better on Monday!

Thanks to all.