Is it normal for a male cat...

demonikka88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a male cat who's almost two years old named Maura, and a four month old female kitten named Twilight. Ever since I've gotten Twi, Maura seems to act like an adoptive mother. He cleans her, follows her to make sure she doesn't do anything she isn't supposed to (and when she does do something bad, he meows very loudly!), and makes sure she eats before him. I was wondering if anyone has had this kind of experience with any of their cats, because Maura is not the most loving cat but he makes sure he knows where Twilight is at all times and will glare at anyone who holds his 'baby'.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How lovely! Yes I am sure there are plenty of neutered male cats like that out there, my Radar is not always a benevolent uncle figure, but he does make sure that the other cats have clean faces at all times, he's a very good groomer, and very gentle about it

skippymjp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Demonikka88

I have a male cat who's almost two years old named Maura, and a four month old female kitten named Twilight. Ever since I've gotten Twi, Maura seems to act like an adoptive mother. He cleans her, follows her to make sure she doesn't do anything she isn't supposed to (and when she does do something bad, he meows very loudly!), and makes sure she eats before him. I was wondering if anyone has had this kind of experience with any of their cats, because Maura is not the most loving cat but he makes sure he knows where Twilight is at all times and will glare at anyone who holds his 'baby'.
I don't know if it's normal for them all, but there are definitely a lot of them that do. 2 of the tribe arrived here as kittens, and Mischief played papabear to both of them, even letting them sleep clinging to his tail

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

demonikka88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's adorable. Twilight tried to sleep with Maura, but he wouldn't let her.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had a few males like that. Mitten was the best "mother". Always said that if he was a she and had kittens, the kittens would never learn to do things for themselves....he'd stop eating to wash them if they were under his chin and he would babysit newborn kittens while mom was taking a break. The kittens all adored big Mit cause he was 14 lbs of cat but so gentle with baby kittens.

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two years ago I had the honor of raising 3 3wkers that I had to bottle feed. My oldest and male named Boomer appointed himself in charge of these babies the rest of the time. I think he would have nursed them if he could lol. He cleaned them, sometimes stimulated them to go potty and when it was time taught them to use the litter box. He also taught them to hunt (toys) and played with them. He was always their protector and stayed near them 24/7. Unfortunately he died when they were about 3 months old from a stroke, but those three kittens all stayed with him till the end. I still have one of those kittens, I re-homed two, and she still has some of his gentleness and characteristics that are pure Boomer. It's amazing the animal world, they have such the ability to love without question.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demetri was 9 months old when I got Anastasia, he mothered her right from the day she came home. He'd even pick her up by her scruff and try to carry her around, especially if she went somewhere he didn't approve of

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
my male, Chip, is a 'mother' to my youngest, Firefox... grooms her [specially her tushie
] snuggles w/her, etc.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Swanie is not exactly that protective, but he seems to love grooming Cindy. She's the older of the two. She rarely grooms him, but she'll go up to him, put her head down, and he'll start licking.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Wellington adopted Biscotte when she arrived as a stray kitten. At the time he was still mourning his brother who had died. She absolutely adores him and they are still constant companions over a year later. In the pix thread you will find a number of shots of them grooming, licking and generally loving each other.

sport

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How cute,
Yes...it is very normal for a cat, either male or female, to adopt a kitten as their own child. It is very cute to watch.

Peace,
Rob & Sport

ilovestripey

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
neutered male cats are often extremely "motherly" often even more so than females who have had kittens before and also more than spayed females. he will continue to do this until it grows up and learns to do everything by herself and even then they will remain great friends. i was not so lucky with my cats...as my moms unspayed female took an absolute disgust to my spayed kitten and they fight everyday now...im trying to work on having my moms cat fixed...there is nothing abnormal about this...just enjoy how kind he is to the kitten and relish the cuteness of it