TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Bush wants to allow birth control to be unavailable
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bush wants to allow birth control to be unavailable - Page 2

post #31 of 39
This scares me a lot. I come from a strict religious background that doesn't agree with premarital sex. But there are other reasons people take BC Pills..

Me, for example. Kinda personal, but I only have one ovary left, due to the other one being wrapped 2 times in a grapefruit-sized cyst. I have to take BC Pills to keep everything regular and to prevent these cysts from happening again. They're extremely important to my life. I can't imagine what would happen if someone told me, "I won't approve you having these."

Bush has gone too far this time. I'm pissed to hear about this, honestly.
post #32 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
I'm also of the opinion that no one in any section of the medical field should be required to participate in any way with abortive measures if they have any reservations, both religious and personal.
I agree. That in no way interferes with other methods.
post #33 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
This would appear to be more "Christians imposing their religion on others" that many of them claim isn't happening.

The answer to the issue is simplicity itself. Anyone working in the public services sector, that is uncomfortable serving the public; needs a new job!
Not all Christians agree with this. I am a Christian and i don't agree with it at all.

I need my birth control pills. I have PCOS and that makes me have horribly painful periods and cramping- it is a nightmare and there are days when i will stay curled up in a ball on the couch in agony because it gets that bad. I take a BC pill and a pain pill every month specifically because of it. I am not taking the pill to prevent pregnancy so much as i am to keep me pain free. (I will be going off the pill in the next few months to start to try for a family.)

Now i do disagree with abortion and do not support it. But i do not have a problem with birth control pills used to prevent a pregnancy from ever occuring in the first place.

Bush needs to stay out of this one!
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR View Post
Not all Christians agree with this. I am a Christian and i don't agree with it at all.

I need my birth control pills. I have PCOS and that makes me have horribly painful periods and cramping- it is a nightmare and there are days when i will stay curled up in a ball on the couch in agony because it gets that bad. I take a BC pill and a pain pill every month specifically because of it. I am not taking the pill to prevent pregnancy so much as i am to keep me pain free. (I will be going off the pill in the next few months to start to try for a family.)

Now i do disagree with abortion and do not support it. But i do not have a problem with birth control pills used to prevent a pregnancy from ever occuring in the first place.

Bush needs to stay out of this one!
I agree. BCP is used for so many different things. It is not always about preventing pregnancy. Even if it were I don't see BCP as abortive so I can't see the issue with it.
post #35 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
Very well said. I'm also of the opinion that no one in any section of the medical field should be required to participate in any way with abortive measures if they have any reservations, both religious and personal.
The argument against the pill and IUD is that they are an abortive measure because they prevent a fertilized egg from embedding in the uterus. That is why this administration could effectively bar some women from getting these types of birth control. If every provider (some places only have one) in the community takes this stance, then they have for all intents and purposes denied these women access.
post #36 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
The argument against the pill and IUD is that they are an abortive measure because they prevent a fertilized egg from embedding in the uterus. That is why this administration could effectively bar some women from getting these types of birth control. If every provider (some places only have one) in the community takes this stance, then they have for all intents and purposes denied these women access.
Actually, the birth control pill itself prevents ovulation, so no eggs are ever fertilized. That should be considered separate from the "emergency contraceptive" pill, which *might* (http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/ecwork.html) prevent a fertilized egg from embedding in the uterus like the IUD does (both Plan B and an IUD can prevent eggs from being fertilized as well).

I also want to thank kittymonsters for pointing out the other possible health issues that can come about from this legislation. I agree that it's more than about pregnancy...it's about our lives and health options as a whole.
post #37 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky View Post
Actually, the birth control pill itself prevents ovulation, so no eggs are ever fertilized. That should be considered separate from the "emergency contraceptive" pill, which *might* (http://ec.princeton.edu/questions/ecwork.html) prevent a fertilized egg from embedding in the uterus like the IUD does (both Plan B and an IUD can prevent eggs from being fertilized as well).
Yet, even with medical training, some of these pharmacists use the argument that regular use of BC pills is abortive and that is why they object to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrldsky View Post
I also want to thank kittymonsters for pointing out the other possible health issues that can come about from this legislation. I agree that it's more than about pregnancy...it's about our lives and health options as a whole.
Agreed. This is an extremely important health issue to women.
post #38 of 39
I kind of hate to say this, but there is a way to take the pill as if it were Plan B. I won't post directions on how to do it, but it's widely known. So, in and of itself the pill is not abortive, yet it has the potential of being that way.
post #39 of 39
Except Plan B is not an abortion pill either.

Plan B is the same hormones as regular BC, in higher doses, and acts in exactly the same way. It lowers the chance of you releasing an egg (which can be fertilized days after the 'incident'), and lowers the chances of it implanting in your uterus. If you are already pregnant (unlikely after a couple hours) it doesn't do anything. In other words, it doesn't cause an abortion any more than regular bc.

Regular birth control pills act in three ways-- preventing ovulation, thickening the cervical mucus, and preventing implantation of the egg. Usually it prevents ovulation. But women using no method or something similar often have the same effects and never know it.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Bush wants to allow birth control to be unavailable