Black Snake Moan (2006)

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black Snake Moan

This movie has been recommended to me countless times by people who have the same movie tastes that I do. It's impossible to escape, so I decided to rent it.

Well... how do I put this. This movie is interesting, overly complex, and fun to watch. I've seen better, but I've also seen a lot worse.

The whole crux of this film is having people deal with their fears, face them, and learn to live with them. It's important that you remember that, because at certain moments of the film it gets a little lost. Like, for instance, when Christina Ricci is chained to a radiator. Oh, did I forget to mention she's a sex addict? Well, silly me. She is. And Samuel L. Jackson decides to chain her to a radiator to cure her. Don't worry, he eventually calls a therapist, but that's not until the end of the movie.

Now I realize after I typed that last sentence I've either intrigued you in to renting the film, or sent you into an angry fire storm. If you felt anger, then don't rent it. If you were intrigued, go for it.

Needless to say, a movie about a sex addict may not be a good choice for some out in TCS world, but don't you worry. I've been watching the new Dr. Who. It's really good. Go rent it.

baloneysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I saw this movie when it first came out. I had my doubts about watching it. Not really my type of flick. I rented it anyway , my boyfriend looked at me skeptically (until he saw Riccis boobs
) but we ended up really liking it.

It ones of those movies where it ends and you just think “well geez, that was a bit odd…. Odd…but good”

I too would recommend this movie. Its very different then most movies.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by silvionc

I saw this movie when it first came out. I had my doubts about watching it. My tastes run from mindless gore zombie flicks, to Disney films, to documentaryâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s. I rented it, my boyfriend looked at my skeptically (until he saw Riccis boobs
) but we ended up really liking it.

It ones of those movies where it ends and you just think “well geez, that was a bit odd…. Odd…but goodâ€

I too would recommend this movie. Its very different then most movies.
It's a movie where I didn't know if I should be horrified or laugh. It's all very over the top.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that a week or so ago on television. It was ok, but not great.

The ending was pretty hokey in my opinion. He pulls off the highway after having a panic attack and she suddenly gets hit with the urge to do drugs, but they hug and all is better
I suppose that was supposed to reinforce something said earlier that they're stronger together than they are apart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I saw that a week or so ago on television. It was ok, but not great.

The ending was pretty hokey in my opinion. He pulls off the highway after having a panic attack and she suddenly gets hit with the urge to do drugs, but they hug and all is better
I suppose that was supposed to reinforce something said earlier that they're stronger together than they are apart.
When you say, "On TV", does this mean like premium cable, or a channel like TNT? Because, I didn't get the impression she wanted to do drugs at the end of the movie, but that could have been the way the channel spun it to get past the censors.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lookingglass

When you say, "On TV", does this mean like premium cable, or a channel like TNT? Because, I didn't get the impression she wanted to do drugs at the end of the movie, but that could have been the way the channel spun it to get past the censors.
It was on one of the movie channels I think.

She was not only a sex addict but also a junky.

When they had pulled over, if I'm remembering correctly she was trembling and clenching her hand into a fist just before she looked over at him and saw him trembling and in a panic, then she moved over to hug him.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like Christina Ricci - thanks for the reminder to put it in my Netflix queue!