For those of us with office jobs...

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you think your disciplined enough to work an 8 hour day from home if your boss said you could work from your house?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been doing it for about 2 yrs before they ran out of work I could take home (since the majority of the cases now are electronic and not paper). Its not that hard - but would be harder if you have kids.

However, the rules for those with kids is that the kids had to either be in school or day care - you could not watch them and do your work; thinking was that if you were in the office, you'd be using day care.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know that I could do it, probably turn into a 16 hour day with all the breaks I'd take

roxsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

No! I'm not even disciplined at work!
LOL, me either!

Although, I could be disciplined enough to get all my work done everyday...it just wouldn't take 8 hours to do it and it wouldn't be all at one sitting!!

I learned discipline well when I was homeschoooled in 7,8,9th grades...my mom (single parent) had to work so she just left me the assignments and I was home alone teaching myself school!! That will def teach you discipline,lol.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Working in a call center really isn't that demanding so I could probably do it. But, I'd be off the phone a lot more because of the dogs wanting in and out, in and out!
But, I wish that was an option! It would save so much in gas. I can't imagine doing it with kids at home though.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have on occasion worked from home for 1 or 2 days at a time - I find it suits my working style - I'm most productive working alone in bursts of furious activity and intense concentration, with relaxation in between (and possibly a mid afternoon nap), which does not go down well in an office environment where a 'must be seen to be working at all times' approach is favoured!

I've always found that the appearance of working in the 'accepted' manner is actually more relevant to performance reviews and appraisals than the volume of output or accuracy of your work. Bit sad really.

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not in an office job anymore, but when I was, I did medical billing. I'd LOVE to do it at home after work to make some extra cash (obviously part time, since I work 8+ hours a day already at my current job). I'm a quick typist and would be able to knock out a lot of work quickly anyway.

Being said, I doubt I'd be able to do a full time job working at home
I'd be getting sidetracked left and right! Rob wanted me to take courses to do at-home medical billing, and start small doing it part time, then in the future do it full time at home and then he would think about just doing transmission work out of his garage when its built. Neither of us would be disciplined enough!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Assuming it's the kind of work I used to do (writing and graphics), I would definitely get 8 hours' worth of work done -- but I'd probably do it in 5 or 6 hours.

Without the distractions and pressures of an office setting, and without the depressing knowledge that no matter how early I finish, I still have to sit there chained to the desk for the full day, I can more easily relax and get into "flow"... and when I'm in flow, I can do far better work, and do it very fast.

c_lou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nope. I do it sometimes now as I have the ability to work from home. It's just to easy to get up and wander through the house.

zorana_dragonky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

Assuming it's the kind of work I used to do (writing and graphics), I would definitely get 8 hours' worth of work done -- but I'd probably do it in 5 or 6 hours.

Without the distractions and pressures of an office setting, and without the depressing knowledge that no matter how early I finish, I still have to sit there chained to the desk for the full day, I can more easily relax and get into "flow"... and when I'm in flow, I can do far better work, and do it very fast.
I know exactly how this is!!!! On the days when my boss is not in the office, I work much more quickly and smoothly and feel so much less pressured. It is amazing what I can do when everyone just leaves me a lone for a while! It's hard to do creative work sometimes when you are always pressured, pressured, pressured!

It's nice to know that someone else feels the same way.

So yes, I think I could work at home and I would LOVE it!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's funny you ask that question. My boss just talked to me this week about the possibility of doing some of my work from home. I'm currently working full time here & doing 10 + hours at my internship. My boss knows that my schedual is crazy & I'm struggling. Not to mention they want me to stay around here. I don't know that I have enough work to work from home for 8 hours, but I can do some from home. I will definatly struggle to be disiplined, but if I am given the opportunity I sure don't want to screw it up.

greenvillegal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh goodness no. I am at work right now, and look what I'm doing!!! I know I have work I can be doing but I am being slack. I was just told yesterday that I need to be proactive so that my boss can just focus on his creativity. Well... I am not as invested in the company so I'm not motivated.

But, I would like to work from home if I had another job where I could do that. I teach music lessons on the side and am trying to get enough students to where I can just do that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittylover4ever

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweets

I don't even work a full 8 hours here in the office!! I admit to it!
I try not too....

I don't think I'm disciplined enough.......

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think I could one or two days a week, but not on a regular basis. Since I'm such a night owl, if I don't have some pressing reason to get up, I have this bad habit of sleeping in later and later every day...
So eventually I'd sleep all day and only be awake at night!

With my current job I couldn't work from home much anyway, because it's too office-related. Maybe with my next job...

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by zorana_dragonky

I know exactly how this is!!!! On the days when my boss is not in the office, I work much more quickly and smoothly and feel so much less pressured. It is amazing what I can do when everyone just leaves me a lone for a while! It's hard to do creative work sometimes when you are always pressured, pressured, pressured!
I don't work in a 'creative' environment (medical office), but man I can bust out some work when it's nice and quiet.

I'm facing a possible layoff of sorts (would be the second one in a 13 months
) but my boss has talked about finding something for me to do from home one day a week. I might be distracted off and on, but mostly I think I'd be fine. Actually that would be pretty much ideal for me. Half the time at work now there is only one other girl there and most of this week I was completely alone in the office and I can say I certainly didn't hate it!