Newly recognized cat breeds

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Seems like new breeds are added every year. I wonder which are the more popular/"important" ones? which make you curious?

Was thinking about doing a review on one of the new breeds, maybe highlander cats? Also, if you care to take a look at our current list of breed reviews, and let me know which ones do you think are really missing. I know it doesn't cover all breeds, but I wonder which ones to add first -
http://www.thecatsite.com/Cats/Cat_Breeds.html

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No offense intended but you are missing a heck of a lot of "old" breeds in the first instance!

American Shorthairs
British Shorthairs
Turkish Vans and T. Angoras
Burmese (European and standard)
Tonkinese
The whole load of Rexes (Cornish, Selkirk, Devons)
Somali
E Maus
Ocicats
Chartreux
Exotics
American Curls
Bengals

I'm sure I've missed more than a few! As for the newer breeds (at least those recognised by CFA) you could look into La Perms and Ragamuffins...

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure I've ever heard of the highlander cat. Are they at all related to the Manx or Scottish Fold?

I work with both Turkish Vans and Egyptian Maus, so if you are in need of pictures/information for future articles, please let me know. I'd be happy to supply what you need

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see Bengal and BSH on the list, am I looking at the wrong one? In addition to Abymummy's suggestions I couldn't find mention of:

Korat
Manx
Balinese & Javanese (we don't distinguish between them in the UK they are all Balinese but Javanese is relevant for US members)
Russian Blue
Snowshoe
Singapura
Birman
Havana Brown (again we don't have them here but relevant for US members)

In terms of less well known breeds how about the Australian Mist or the Sokoke?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would like to see articles on Cornish/Devon Rexes and Ocicats. If you need help in writing some of them, let me know. I bred Cornish and own Ocicats and am familiar with the background/standards, etc. of the above breeds.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Anne

Seems like new breeds are added every year. I wonder which are the more popular/"important" ones? which make you curious?

Was thinking about doing a review on one of the new breeds, maybe highlander cats? Also, if you care to take a look at our current list of breed reviews, and let me know which ones do you think are really missing. I know it doesn't cover all breeds, but I wonder which ones to add first -
http://www.thecatsite.com/Cats/Cat_Breeds.html
Please do NOT choose the Highlander. It is not a breed accepted by the American Curl breeders, and we do not accept the "history" of how this breed was founded. I would challenge them to prove with dna testing that the curl-earred component of the breed is not just an American Curl.

Trust me on this if nothing else...all the American Curl breeders I know, which is most of the reputable, active ones in the world, do NOT approve of ANY of the several hybrids being created using American Curls as a component.

artgecko

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd be interested in reading about the Australian Mist. I haven't been able to find much info about them on the net.

As for the older breeds, I'd love to see an article on either the rexes, ocicats, or burmese...of course I'm partial to those

Art

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree on the Mist - those are native Australian cats cause I've never seen them outside of Australia
If I ever got one, I'd have to choose the apricot/peach color ones - very unusual color

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't consider the Highlander a recognized breed. What registry recognizes that breed? I think you should add the breeds of our members first since people on the forum will see posts about those breeds and might look for more info on the site about those breeds. So I must recommend the Somali : )

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I can see Bengal and BSH on the list, am I looking at the wrong one? In addition to Abymummy's suggestions I couldn't find mention of:

Balinese & Javanese (we don't distinguish between them in the UK they are all Balinese but Javanese is relevant for US members)
For the information of those not in the know...CFA this season (ie. effective May 2008) merged the Javanese to the Balinese. The Javanese is now a division of the Balinese.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I suppose the next step is to merge Siamese and Colorpoints cause the Balineses/Javaness is the same exact thing as the S/C only in longhair. IMO that's the way it really should be. All the other associations have them together - you have Siamese (any color point) and Balinese (any color point).

abymummy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually as far as I know, merging the Siamese with the CPS is not in the works. The numbers registered still merits the two being separate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Great replies - thank you all!

Originally Posted by Abymummy

No offense intended but you are missing a heck of a lot of "old" breeds in the first instance!
None taken! I am fully aware of missing a lot of the "old" breeds

The reason I mentioned the new breeds, and specifically the highlanders is that they come up in keywords analysis reports. That's when I check to see what surfers are looking for online, which search terms connected with cats, I see quite a lot of people looking for highlanders. I confess, still didn't have the time to research that breed, so only mentioned that one because it seems to be popular in the searches.

Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Please do NOT choose the Highlander. It is not a breed accepted by the American Curl breeders, and we do not accept the "history" of how this breed was founded. I would challenge them to prove with dna testing that the curl-earred component of the breed is not just an American Curl.

Trust me on this if nothing else...all the American Curl breeders I know, which is most of the reputable, active ones in the world, do NOT approve of ANY of the several hybrids being created using American Curls as a component.
Point taken and thank you. I guess we won't have a Highlanders review anytime soon

To those of you who kindly offered to provide a breed review - I am always happy to consider contributions of articles! They come with credit to the author and a link back to your website (if you have one). Breed descriptions need to be accompanies with good quality pictures (just 1-3) that come with full written permission from the copyright owners. It's why I prefer to actually handle those myself.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok - then if you want I'll pm you with links for the Cornish Rex and Ocicat so you can decide on what to use.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oooh I say go for the Australian Spotted Mist! Here's a pic of a friends that I took when we saw them last year:

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love those.(Australian Spotted Mist)..gorgeous colors. I first heard of these back in the early to mid 1990s!

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Oooh I say go for the Australian Spotted Mist
They no longer use Spotted in the name and just go by Australian Mist as they come in spotted and marbled patterns.

possomscreek

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Dossow cat is a very new breed, created 2008 of mainly a cross between the Donskoy and Savannah cat. Bred to be a Hypoallergenic cat for people who have allergies to cat dander.
Sherri

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by missymotus

They no longer use Spotted in the name and just go by Australian Mist as they come in spotted and marbled patterns.
Heavens, I'm a sucker for any cat that's marbled - I love the look.

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by possomscreek

The Dossow cat is a very new breed, created 2008 of mainly a cross between the Donskoy and Savannah cat. Bred to be a Hypoallergenic cat for people who have allergies to cat dander.
Sherri
Under which registry are they recognized? As the Savannah and Donskoy are still both developing breeds (and one a hybrid at that!!) I find it a little questionable that they would already be used to create new breeds. . .