*****KatKwery! - July 30 - where did she go?*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cocoa Cream was the first to use really while glitch used profile first and luvmycat1 used check(ed) first. Before and list did not win any points.

Today's KatKwiz was about posting photos on TCS.

Where do you keep the majority of your photos that you post on TCS? Did you pick up today on why TCS prefers to use a link to your photos? Do you know the size limitations for the link method AND the managed attachments? It is quite evident that a lot of newbies place giant photos on their posts and that the moderators resize them; do you think that should be a moderator's job? Do you have any IDEA of what the total photo storage on TCS might be?l

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Cocoa Cream was the first to use really while glitch used profile first and luvmycat1 used check(ed) first. Before and list did not win any points.

Where do you keep the majority of your photos that you post on TCS? Did you pick up today on why TCS prefers to use a link to your photos? Do you know the size limitations for the link method AND the managed attachments? It is quite evident that a lot of newbies place giant photos on their posts and that the moderators resize them; do you think that should be a moderator's job? Do you have any IDEA of what the total photo storage on TCS might be?l
I have mine on photobucket! Omg... You're going to make me think and search again today! I dont happen to know the size limits on the link method! I know how big a picture can be on thecatsite before its too big though! Ive had to resize a bunch of mine to make them appropriate because they show up huge and you can't even see my username! Well I think part of being a mod is taking care of what is wrong and helping the other person figure out how to do it correctly... Thats just my opinion though, and I know the moderators on here have a lot to do already! I think the size resctriction was 400x400 pixels or 33kb but I went back to the newby thread and it says to link to them now... So I guess maybe I should go back and read the newby threads huh? LOL Hmmm, paying members can have 800kb of managed attachments is what I thought I read, and the top cats have 120kb, so thats a whole lot of space right there!
Ohhh I see something... I wonder if thats how todays katkwery came about!

Okay, Im very confused, Im getting conflicting answers and it stinks!
I was going to post the different threads, but Ill let it go for now since Im thinking Im misreading something and will have to look again later! I can't imagine how big the entire storage must be for TCS. Something around enormous maybe...

yam102284

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I don't really post pictures on TCS. I have a bunch of pictures of my kitties on my myspace page, and also I just keep them on the desktop of my computer. If I am going to upload pictures I usually use photobucket and take the URL and use the method you were describing today. I did know the size limitations on photos, but lately when uploading off photobucket, it hasn't been resizing them. I've done it multiple times, but when I post them on TCS they are still huge. I just leave a note asking for the mods to resize them please. I don't think that should be their job, per say, but if someone had my situation the mods should be able to do it. A newbie should know what the rules are before posting pictures. I know I feel bad sometimes when asking them to do it, because they have so much to look after already, but if photobucket is being stupid and not resizing, there's not much I can do. Also, if they resize them, it makes it a lot easier for people to look at.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I keep most of mine on Photobucket. I think TCS wants you to use a certain link for your photo posting because that way any pictures would definately be the right size. Am I right? OK, looking at your next question I don't think I was right. I don't know the size limitations on hand. I don't really pay attention when I'm posting a photo because I just resize them to message board size in Photobucket. I think Mods should resize photos but they should maybe PM new people and let them know to do it before posting. I'm guessing the total photo storage on TCS is huge.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

i use photobucket. i find it very easy to use... i knew why TCS wanted us to use a remote hosting service - otherwise, we're so limited as to amount of pix the site will tolerate. i also know the limits for the link method - not the attachment, as i never use it so have no need to know
i think the mods have enough to do w/o having to resize pix [Rosiemac is the one doing it, i think]. i have NO IDEA what the total photo storage on TCS might be. i have found, on really old threads, that many pix are no longer visible - sometimes the pic is just gone, other times i'll see the 'this photo has been moved' message from photobucket.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Persi & Alley! You've got me addicted! I have a throbbing head ache and it's 10:30 at night and I'm exhausted but I had to sign on to get my KatKwery done!

I'm not sure what you mean exactly by your first question. You mean, where do I link them from? Or where do I have all my originals? So I'll answer both! My originals are stored in various places- I like to have many copies in case I lose one! So I have most of them on those tiny little memory cards- my camera and cell phone use the same type (not a coincidence
)- and also I have copies on my work and my home laptops. When I am going to post one or some to TCS, I upload them to photobucket. So, ALL pictures I have on here are linked from photobucket.

I would say TCS prefers the link method to save, um... What's it called? Storage space? Bandwith? Whatever it would take on their server to store all those pictures itself! I'm sure that would cost a TON of money and slow us down tremendously. So that is my guess!

Size limitations? One of these days I'll figure out if, on the internet, "size" refers to physical size or memory size. I know when I upload them to photobucket, I use the "shrink to "large" size", which I think is, uh... 620 x 480? And the mods let that pass!

It's not just newbies that do that.
It took me forever to figure out how to get the right size! I knew the limits and had read them, I just didn't know what it meant or how to apply them. But one message from a mod and I got it ok and haven't been scolded since!
No, I don't think a moderator should resize the pics. In fact, I think what was done with me is perfect. Give a warning- say, 24 hours- and if they're not down to size, delete!
Because deleting the post won't delete the linked photos.

Of course I have no idea what the total photo storage on TCS is! Ugh, I can't even figure out what you mean by that! Do you mean the total number of linked pictures? The ones people store on here? The ones that Anne uses as the little faces and symbols and stuff? All of the above? By total, do you mean memory size or number of pics?? Man, I'm such a doofus.

All right!! My new nightly ritual is complete! I can sleep in peace now.
Time to take some Tylenol and call it a night!!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi KristyKitty, welcome to TCS!

I really don't know, but they look ok to me. If you haven't heard from a mod, you should be fine!

As long as you're here, you should take a minute to answer the questions in bold from Persi and Alley and play along with us, this is a fun and educational game, and we always like new people joining us!

(Hope you all don't mind I took it upon myself to make the offer!
)

So much for me going to bed!

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Hi KristyKitty, welcome to TCS!

I really don't know, but they look ok to me. If you haven't heard from a mod, you should be fine!

As long as you're here, you should take a minute to answer the questions in bold from Persi and Alley and play along with us, this is a fun and educational game, and we always like new people joining us!

(Hope you all don't mind I took it upon myself to make the offer!
)

So much for me going to bed!
Thanks!
And I haven't heard from anyone, so maybe I am okay. I wouldn't want to get in trouble on like the first day. That's like getting detention on the first day of school

I will try to play along with you guys, though I really have no idea the answer to these questions or where to look for them, and I don't think you're allowed to tell me (lol) so I will just have to find them myself

And LOL the internet ALWAYS keeps me from going to bed! It's evil like that

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KristyKitty

Thanks!
And I haven't heard from anyone, so maybe I am okay. I wouldn't want to get in trouble on like the first day. That's like getting detention on the first day of school

I will try to play along with you guys, though I really have no idea the answer to these questions or where to look for them, and I don't think you're allowed to tell me (lol) so I will just have to find them myself

And LOL the internet ALWAYS keeps me from going to bed! It's evil like that
This one kept me looking for hours! I finally gave up!

Ya know, thats a good question, where did Marienjela go??
Hmmm.... She would have normally tuned into the katkwery already!