HELP!! He is ALWAYS crying!!......long

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I have posted about my kitten's behavior before, but I feel the need to do it again because it's getting worse. I have a 4month old orange tabby male. A stray had a litter in my shed and I kept Marley. He is not nuetered, my vet won't do it until he is 6mo. He is very sweet, playful, and eats like a pig so I don't think he is sick at all.
As soon as I get home, he runs up to me and meows. Ok, fine...I pick him up, pet him for a while then put him down. But the moewing doesn't stop, it NEVER stops!! No matter what I am doing, he is right under my feet moewing...long, loud meows. If I walk into another room, he meows even louder, and comes to find me. He always follows me wherever I go.
I do have a dog, and they get along pretty well considering the size difference. My dog is 115, and little Marley is just 5 lbs. They play together and if they are tired enough, sleep together

If I am sitting on the couch, this is the only time he isn't meowing.
He comes up and lays on my lap, and purrs his heart out.

But the moment I get up, it starts over again!
We are at work all day and the cat and dog are seperated. Also, he isn't allowed in our bedroom at night because all he does is play.
I don't know what is going on.....Does he not feel safe?? Is he spoiled? Is he lonely?? Will it go away as he gets older???
Please help me help my kitty!!!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know its hard to listen to him cry like that, I have a young one like that too. He cries like that over everything, he's very babyish. I don't think its as bad as your case because I have other cats around him, that he wrestles and plays with. Also, he will settle down when he gets neutered.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats like to talk! If he's always done it he is probably one of them, and he probably always will be. There is the added factor that he is getting to an age now where as he is not yet neutered he will be thinking about finding mates, some unneutered males will yowl making their presence known from afar, and pace up and down, but usually at night.

It sounds as if he has a high need for attention from you and misses that while you are out. I would suggest as well as the cuddles and fuss he enjoys, add some high energy play sessions to use up his youthful energy, centred around you playing with him rather than him playing alone or with the dog - use wand toys, toys on string, balls of paper, things you can throw for him, anything that gets his attention and gets him running around. You could also try one of those 'catsitter' DVDs with film of mice and birds etc to leave playing for him during the day, give him something to stop him being bored.

Of my 3 cats, 2 of them are talkers, and 1 of those never ever shuts up, he even mutters to himself in his sleep.

Personally, it's something I love!

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like he is lonely during the day and wants extra loving and attention from you.
Just curious, if he and the dog are getting along, why keep them separated during the day?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

marleyandme

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My dog is very big, and young. He is only 15months. I don't completly trust him to be left out during the day so he stays in the laundry room. Plus he is still learning not to chase the cat!! And he gets too rough sometimes.....basically, I don't trust them together just yet!!!

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MarleyAndMe

My dog is very big, and young. He is only 15months. I don't completly trust him to be left out during the day so he stays in the laundry room. Plus he is still learning not to chase the cat!! And he gets too rough sometimes.....basically, I don't trust them together just yet!!!
Given the size difference I wouldn't do it either. Accidents can happen and it's better to be safe than sorry. Have you tried leaving a radio on for him during the day? Sometimes just a little background noise helps them feel less alone. Or maybe a stuffed toy that is similar to a real cat. Then he can cuddle with it durring the day. I suspect my Jordan would be like your kitten if I didn't have other cats for him to be with during the day, so maybe trying to find a fake "buddy" would help. I know they sell something at my pet store that looks like a sleeping cat & kittens are supposed to really like to curl up with it.

lee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree about keeping kitty and dog separated when you're not around. A dog can do a lot of damage even if he thinks he's playing. Our cats and dogs are all the same size but the dogs get excited and go into chase mode if the cats run by. Yes we stop them, but we don't take chances when we're not around...it's easy for them to get excited "playing" and do some harm.

We have a chatterbox too. It's funny how some cats are chatty and others barely say anything! The chatty ones are a lot more sociable too, and love the petting and attention. I like the advice about tiring out your kitten with some energetic play, it should relax him a bit.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MarleyAndMe

He is not nuetered, my vet won't do it until he is 6mo.
Then I would find a vet who is willing to neuter sooner. At 4 months he is certainly old enough by modern standards. Not to mention the fact that you obviously don't want him possibly developing behavioral issues, like spraying, between now and when he's 6 months old.

I'm not sure how much the neuter will help with the persistent crying though. He might be lonely. Any possibility of getting him a playmate? It's great that he gets along with the dog but he might really prefer another member of his own species. Plus, assuming that they are compatible, the presence of another cat would hopefully take a good deal of the pressure off of you to always be around him, which is what he seems to want.

If that doesn't work, or a second cat simply isn't feasible, then honestly I wouldn't really know what advice to give to you. You would hope that it's something that he would eventually grow out of, but there are cases of cats developing separation anxiety that's serious enough to warrant medication. Hopefully that won't be the case here.