Help!!!!

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had to take my little girl Petunia to the Vet yesterday because she has been displaying some unusual behavior, well unusual for her anyway. Since Monday evening she has been going to the litterbox every 15-20 minutes but not having any bowel movements. On occasion she has diarrhea but nothing too serious I dont think. She is urinating though. I'm wondering if maybe she is constipated or if a urinary tract infection is forming. To me what makes her behavior unusual is that she seems rather agitated and uneasy. She has been caught a few times urinating in other parts of the house which she never does. She hasnt been sleeping much and walks around in a daze like state, it's almost like she doesnt know where she is or where she wants to be. So now I'm very concerned. Yesterday at the Dr some blood tests were done and a check of her organs was also done. She did not have a fever thankfully. I should hear more today as to the results of the tests. The staff tried to get a urine sample from her to no avail. She is eating but not like she usually does, and once she finishes eating or going to the bathroom she goes under the bed for hours, this is also not usual for my little one. Does anyone have similar experiences with this type of behavior and if so what was the diagnosis if you took your cat to the vet to be checked out?

PS. Please say a prayer for my girl, she can use all the prayers and thoughts right now

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have any answers to your questions, but wanted to send good vibes for Petunia. Sounds like something is off with her so hopefully the vet can get to the source of the problem.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It does sound like a UTI to me, thats how one of my male cats act. You may have to bring her back in for a urine sample, or maybe you could get one yourself from her. What I did was I got a clean litter pan and just put a little pile of litter in the box and left some empty spaces without litter, when he went into it to go some of it was coming out on the clean pan, I used an eye dropper and suctioned up the urine that didn't hit the litter. Then I brought it to the Vet for analysis.

Prayers and for Petunia.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the thoughts and concern. I should hear back from the vet either today or tomorrow and will update ASAP.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers for her. It sounds like a Uti. My Coco just had another one that is Neg after 2 months. We had to take her to Er in May because the screaming and squating even on the rug. They can give Sub Q's and then take a urine sample. If it is a bladder problem I can help you. Coco gets alot of those even though she is a girl. Bladder Stones can cause them also.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Does anyone happen to know what causes a UTI? Is it something that she eats or might get into in the house that could cause it? The vet asked me yesterday is she might have gotten into any potentially bad stuff around my house like plants. There are thankfully no plants in the house.

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well my two boys are just pre-disposed to it. They also are not big water drinkers, now I use distilled bottled water and put extra water bowls around, so if they see it they usually take a couple of licks. I also mix their wet food with some water. I know a lot of dry food can cause it with some, but not mine, they are not big dry food eaters.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

Well my two boys are just pre-disposed to it. They also are not big water drinkers, now I use distilled bottled water and put extra water bowls around, so if they see it they usually take a couple of licks. I also mix their wet food with some water. I know a lot of dry food can cause it with some, but not mine, they are not big dry food eaters.
She's good with her water consumption and really only eats dry food, Purina Indoor Cat Formula. How often should I give her wet food? The vet assistant suggested that I give her the medication she is taking with some wet food, this should be interesting because she is smart and her first dose yesterday at the vets didnt go over very well! She is gonna really dislike me for the next two weeks or so until it's all gone

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What Med are you giving her? I was doing liquid with Coco then switched to pills because she had bad reations to the Clavamox and the Cefa Drops. She ended up on Baytril. Two of Cocos problesm came from a Depo Shot. One infection came because she had bladder stones. The other two we have no idea why she got them. She has C/D and Royal Canin Urinary. Did your Vet sugest any foods?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I give mine wet food twice a day, morning and then evening. Fancy Feast Wet is the only thing they'll eat. I've tried the prescription foods from the Vet but they refuse to eat it. They say wet food is the best for cats if they are prone to UTI. Its also the only way I can get antibiotics into them I crush it up and mix it in their food.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

What Med are you giving her? I was doing liquid with Coco then switched to pills because she had bad reations to the Clavamox and the Cefa Drops. She ended up on Baytril. Two of Cocos problesm came from a Depo Shot. One infection came because she had bladder stones. The other two we have no idea why she got them. She has C/D and Royal Canin Urinary. Did your Vet sugest any foods?
It's a medicine for Diarrhea which the vet thought should be tried since she was having a little bit of this, i believe it starts with a D but dont remember off hand. The vet did mention getting this medicine compounded if she didnt take to the pill nicely but that in liquid form it's much more expensive which I figured it would be. The vet did not suggest any foods, I know she likes Meow Mix so I will try to give it to her that way and see how she does, tonight will be interesting indeed!

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by aswient

I give mine wet food twice a day, morning and then evening. Fancy Feast Wet is the only thing they'll eat. I've tried the prescription foods from the Vet but they refuse to eat it. They say wet food is the best for cats if they are prone to UTI. Its also the only way I can get antibiotics into them I crush it up and mix it in their food.
My two are very picky, although Petunia will atleast try something once before she completely turns her nose up at it. Barkley pretty much detests everything, especially tuna and I thought cats loved tuna
As far as I know she has never had a UTI before so I'm hoping this will be something that will go away and be short lived. She cant tell me what's bothering her but I know she is in some discomfort. She still talks your ear off though, classic Tortie-tude!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Some of mine don't like tuna either. I know its not easy when they're sick, you don't know how to make them comfortable. Keep us posted on the test results

Prayers and for Petunia.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It appears that my little bits is making some progress, although we (myself and the vet) still do not have a definitive answer as to what is ailing her. The vet called last evening and informed me that the blood work panel came back normal and that everything looked good. But my girl is still going to the bathroom every 15-20 minutes without expelling anything into the box. She will climb into the litterbox and then just stand there. If you watch her carefully while she's in there as I've been doing you can see that her muscles are moving like she's attempting to push something out but nothing comes out, and after a few minutes of trying she just gives up, only to turn around and be right back in there a short time later. She did sleep on the bed with me last night which is part of her normal behavior pattern. I was happy to see this, not only because I like seeing her face first thing in the morning but because I was beginning to wonder why she was going under the bed so much and seeming to shy away from Barkley and I. I tried mixing her medication in with some wet food last night and she ate it. That Meow Mix sure is a winner!!! I could tell a couple of times when she had eaten part of the pill because her face would scrunch up and she would turn and give me a mean, stern look as if to say "I know what's going on here"
But eventually she ate the whole bowl including her medicine.

This brings me to what is going down tomorrow. I will be dropping her off at the Vet's around 7:30am so they can keep her for a little while and get a urine and fecal sample. Hopefully then we will know something more concrete. Please continue with the prayers and good vibes, she really appreciates all the love and support as do I!

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Prayers for her. If its Constipation my Cat gets lax aire for it.
What if any are the signs that your cat is constipated? She doesnt seem as agitated as she did 2 days ago but I can tell that she's frustrated with not being able (if that is the problem) to go to the bathroom.

barkleysjester

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Petunia has finally passed a stool sample and I took it over to the vet this morning. When she was at the vet yesterday it took about 6 hrs for her to give a urine sample and that came back normal which I'm very happy about. And she seems to be back to her normal behavior, mainly knocking Barkley around when he gets on her nerves

I'm hoping that the stool sample will come back normal too. I'm hoping that the verdict will be negative on that too. Continue to wish her luck!

seaturtle

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,

One of my females was acting agitated, crying out a lot, and displaying odd eliminating behaviors - going from litter pan to litter pan, only urinating a little at a time.
It turned out to be bladder stones, which had to come out surgically. After that, she is fine. They had to do an X-ray to find this out.

It might be a possibility for your little one.