Wellness Dry Food

drfundy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought I would post this question here on the off chance that someone knows the answer. Where is Wellness cat food manufactured? The company refused to tell me explaining that their “manufacturing partner information is proprietaryâ€. I have been feeding my cat a combination of Avoderm canned and wellness core dry food but now I am thinking I may have to switch due to the lack of information about Wellness dry food. (I know, i should have done my homework)

If anyone knows where it is manufactured, or if you can suggest a good alternative to wellness, I would greatly appreciate it.

TIA !

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
MANY food companies are this way ... thou I do remember wellness giving the state of the manufactur facility

are you looking grain free ??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

drfundy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! I was just asking for the country ! You would think that would be an easy one. Yes I am thinking grain free since this seems to be the latest thing.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
wellness is USA MADE ....

Taste of the wild is what I use

drfundy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Odd that they wouldn't just say that. If it is USA made then i will probably just stick with it, for now. I got a little paranoid by the lack of a response from them. If it is the norm for them to be secretive then i guess I am just going to have to get accustomed to it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope all of US ASK more ?? s

I asked a rep that used to be on this site from wellness and she gave me the state ...

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wellness Core is grain free.....regular Wellness dry has grains. I had that misconception as well until I looked at it closely.

Orijen is a grain free that is made in Canada.

maxiecat03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
One aspect I learned from the pet food scandal of a few years ago...the food may be produced in the USA, but sometimes they import some/all of the ingredients from outside the USA. That was the basis of the problem in the pet food recall. The manufacturer in the USA ordered some ingredients from China..and it happened that it wasn't inspected thoroughly enough and the melamine got into the product...

Even here in Canada...the phrase Made in Canada..has many connotations...the lawmakers are starting to review the phrase and start putting rules to regulate how much of the product actually originates in Canada in order to say that the product was actually Made in Canada.

The real question is...from where do the ingredients come? Do chickens raised in China (for example) have the same feed/drugs/controls that chickens raised in the USA have.....I don't know if everyone wants to know the answer to all the questions...it's the same for our food...

I'm trying to find an answer for ...why I cannot bring cat food into Canada from the USA even when the can says Made in the USA?? The food I buy at the pet store here in Canada says Made in the USA on the label..they bring it in...but the Canadian Food Inspection Agency will not allow pet food into Canada. Not only can it not be allowed in, it can't stay. You must return to the US and leave it on US soil. So far, I don't have an answer. One time I was told it was because of the beef problem...well, if the ingredients don't contain beef....then.....what's the beef
about bringing it in?

zoeysmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Actually, a food can be completely made in another country and still say "Manufactured in Canada." Apparently if the cost of packaging costs a certain percentage of the product and it is packaged in Canada, it is completely legal. Don't quote me on that, but I watched an episode of W-5 not too long ago about it, and I'm pretty sure that was how it worked!

Unfortunately, in today's world, it is difficult to find something that does not contain ingredients from overseas. I guess the safest thing (next to making your own, which may still be difficult) is to pick a company you trust and that uses as many home-grown ingredients as possible.

drfundy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any ideas on a company to trust? I don't think I can trust wellness after their reply to my email.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by drfundy

Any ideas on a company to trust? I don't think I can trust wellness after their reply to my email.
Certainly Orijen and Taste of the Wild are premium dry foods.

I'm disappointed in Wellness for their lack of response. Their food is good and their website seems so concerned about the health of animals.
Perhaps you just got someone having a bad day.

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

Actually, a food can be completely made in another country and still say "Manufactured in Canada." Apparently if the cost of packaging costs a certain percentage of the product and it is packaged in Canada, it is completely legal. Don't quote me on that, but I watched an episode of W-5 not too long ago about it, and I'm pretty sure that was how it worked!

Unfortunately, in today's world, it is difficult to find something that does not contain ingredients from overseas. I guess the safest thing (next to making your own, which may still be difficult) is to pick a company you trust and that uses as many home-grown ingredients as possible.
That's why the lawmakers/politicians are looking into making more strict regulations regarding the validity of the Made in Canada label. Right now, there is too much leeway and vague implications......I don't know how long it will take...perhaps we won't see it in our lifetime....

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by zoeysmom

Wellness Core is grain free.....regular Wellness dry has grains. I had that misconception as well until I looked at it closely.

Orijen is a grain free that is made in Canada.
thanks for the tip, I shall look for it next time at the pet food store!

drfundy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I highly doubt i will find it locally, but im going to order a bag and give it a try. It looks like they are pretty transparent about their manufacturing process.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use EVO, it is made right here in Califorina, I have called the # on the can of food because I wanted to know how long I could store it in the refridgrator The lady on the phone was really helpful, and made me feel like she was happy I called. She made me feel I had made a good move using the product. PLUS my cat's are doing so well on the grain free foods, I am giving them only EVO dry, and I have found 1 other caned foods besides EVO caned so now we have a bit of a choise.
K.

wingss2fly

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by wingss2fly

i use evo, it is made right here in califorina, i have called the # on the can of food because i wanted to know how long i could store it in the refridgrator the lady on the phone was really helpful, and made me feel like she was happy i called. She made me feel i had made a good move using the product. Plus my cat's are doing so well on the grain free foods, i am giving them only evo dry, and i have found 1 other caned foods besides evo caned so now we have a bit of a choise.
K.
and i still miss spelled it ...............lol

drfundy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am definitely considering EVO but i have an email to them to and am waiting for a reply

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Careful with EVO, if there's a history of high pH/UTI issues.....EVO is a horrible choice for cats who've had issues with those.

drfundy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the warning. I guess I am leaning towards Orijen then.