TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › Kitten has Jesus' likeness in her fur :)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Kitten has Jesus' likeness in her fur :)

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
http://www.wndu.com/home/headlines/26070944.html

She's being called a "Holy Kitten" and yup! the image of Jesus' face is in her fur
post #2 of 28
Ok, it took me a few minutes to see it, but I finally did see. Photo shop is a wonderful thing.

But, at least the kitty got a good home, and if they believe it that is all that matters. She will be well taken care of and loved and that's what we want regardless of the reasons.
post #3 of 28
Question I always have in these is how do we know it is Jesus? It could be Bart the camel keeper who stands in for Jesus for miracle shots.
post #4 of 28
I didn't see anything, so I put the pic in GIMP and reversed the colors. What I saw actually looked like Rob Zombie.
post #5 of 28
I don't think that there were cameras during the time of Jesus. How can we say what He looks like for sure? Isn't the image of "Jesus" that we are familiar with orginally from medieval Europe?

The image in the cat's fur looks like Calvin from the cartoon "Calvin & Hobbes"
post #6 of 28
Theory is this: Jesus was Jewish (hard to believe for some), so he PROBABLY looked like a typical Jewish man of the time...not a European with blue eyes.
post #7 of 28
I saw a very interesting thing about Jesus on the Discovery Channel. They took the features of what Jewish men probably looked like then, and made a composite of 12 different men. It was amazing, but looked absolutely nothing like what we commonly see as Jesus. I will stop hijacking this thread now.
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
Question I always have in these is how do we know it is Jesus? It could be Bart the camel keeper who stands in for Jesus for miracle shots.


I have to admit, I don't see an image of Jesus either. In fact, I'm not sure what I see.
post #9 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
I didn't see anything, so I put the pic in GIMP and reversed the colors. What I saw actually looked like Rob Zombie.


So its a zombie cat!
post #10 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy kat2 View Post
I saw a very interesting thing about Jesus on the Discovery Channel. They took the features of what Jewish men probably looked like then, and made a composite of 12 different men. It was amazing, but looked absolutely nothing like what we commonly see as Jesus. I will stop hijacking this thread now.
One theory that seems to have some credence with scholars is that the image used to illustrate Jesus actually came from the temple of Apollo.
post #11 of 28
I don't see an image at all, but hey, at least they're not trying to sell the sweet kitty on Ebay.
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcat View Post
I don't see an image at all, but hey, at least they're not trying to sell the sweet kitty on Ebay.
Good on them for taking the kitty in
post #13 of 28
While there are not many "descriptions" in the Bible as to what Jesus looked like (I did a little research), it would make sense that he looked pretty much like any other Jewish man at the time - nothing really different or outstanding.

When they came to arrest him in the garden, Judus had to pick him out for the guards. So he couldn't have been really different looking.
post #14 of 28
ok....if I squint a bit when I look at the picture I can vaguely make out a mans face with a beard. If I looked at the whole cat I would never have noticed it at all.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by katachtig View Post
Question I always have in these is how do we know it is Jesus? It could be Bart the camel keeper who stands in for Jesus for miracle shots.


Kitty will be treated with special care now. It is bizarre that people presume to know what Jesus actually looked like.
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
One theory that seems to have some credence with scholars is that the image used to illustrate Jesus actually came from the temple of Apollo.
i've also heard that many of the 'portraits' we're familiar w/are based, somewhat, on the image in the Shroud of Turin.
i can see an image - don't know that it's all that similar to the widely accepted image of Jesus - but def i see a man w/a beard!
post #17 of 28
I can't see anything other than a random pattern. I guess you see what you want to see, just like when you watch clouds in the sky.
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
One theory that seems to have some credence with scholars is that the image used to illustrate Jesus actually came from the temple of Apollo.
Which image? The one on the cat?
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Which image? The one on the cat?
No, I still think the one on the kitten is Rob Zombie.

About 1/3 down the page of this article is a photograph of a floor tile mosaic of Apollo, complete with the sunburst (now called a halo) that he inherited from Helios. The mosaic is from the mid to late 2nd century. The same image would not be used to depict Jesus until sometime in the 4th century, and a "standard" image not really becoming established until the mid 6th century.
post #20 of 28
Or it could be that was modelled after Jesus. Though I doubt it. Frankly, it doesn't look much like Apollo, either. Probably was modelled after some local Roman official who paid to have it done.

There were Christians in North Africa by then. Augustine was from there -- Carthage, I believe.

The "standard" image only came about because those artists all copied each other. No imagination, or common sense, either.
post #21 of 28
Couldn't have been Carthage, that city was destroyed by the Romans in 146 B.C., Augustine was born in 354 AD in what used to be Tagaste (modern day Souk Ahras in Algeria).
post #22 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Or it could be that was modelled after Jesus. Though I doubt it. Frankly, it doesn't look much like Apollo, either. Probably was modelled after some local Roman official who paid to have it done.
You've seen Apollo? Oh, cool, did he say anything. Ask him if he works out...and who does his hair.

Actually, any thing modeled after Jesus prior to the 2nd century would probably have just looked like a fish; if there was anything prior to the 2nd century.
post #23 of 28
Thread Starter 
[quote=Skippymjp;2370318]You've seen Apollo? Oh, cool, did he say anything. Ask him if he works out...and who does his hair.

QUOTE]
That was a creative comeback
post #24 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essayons89 View Post
Couldn't have been Carthage, that city was destroyed by the Romans in 146 B.C., Augustine was born in 354 AD in what used to be Tagaste (modern day Souk Ahras in Algeria).
Sorry, minor correction needed on my part, then, he lived in Carthage for a period of time (actually two periods of time) to study. He mentions Carthage in his series of books The Confessions -- "While still at Carthage I had been influenced in certain ways by the lectures of ....." (Book V) and a couple other places. That's why it stuck in my memory, but I should have looked it up before I said it. Carthage was rebuilt by Rome and by Augustine's time there was again a major city. (That I did look up to make sure.)
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by coaster View Post
Sorry, minor correction needed on my part, then, he lived in Carthage for a period of time (actually two periods of time) to study. He mentions Carthage in his series of books The Confessions -- "While still at Carthage I had been influenced in certain ways by the lectures of ....." (Book V) and a couple other places. That's why it stuck in my memory, but I should have looked it up before I said it. Carthage was rebuilt by Rome and by Augustine's time there was again a major city. (That I did look up to make sure.)
I did a little further reading and you're right. Rome had to rebuild Carthage due to farming putting large amounts of silt in the river making the port at nearby Utica useless. For some reason I thought that the rebuilt Carthage was renamed but I was getting that confused with Cartagena (renamed Carthago Nova, New Carthage, after it was taken by the Romans) in Spain. Carthage was extremely important to the Roman Empire in that the region provided a lot of the grain to feed Rome (which the Vandals took advantage of when they captured the City in 439AD). What I didn't realize was that Carthage would become a center for early Christianity and the biblical cannon for the western Church was confirmed there. Learn something new every day.
post #26 of 28
Maybe since you've read up on it already, and I'm in too much a hurry tonight, wasn't the Roman-built Carthage actually rebuilt on a slightly different location? (not that it has anything remotely to do with this thread )

Hey Bryan, since you're interested in Rome, have you read the Marcus Didius Falco mystery series?
post #27 of 28
I'll send you a PM.
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippymjp View Post
One theory that seems to have some credence with scholars is that the image used to illustrate Jesus actually came from the temple of Apollo.
First a Jesus cat

now a Pagan Jesus tisk tisk.....
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Breaking Mews
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › Breaking Mews › Kitten has Jesus' likeness in her fur :)