My cat was just diagnosed with Liver Failure

bran01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Took my 8 yr old cat to the vet today and he's said that she has liver failure. Punky, my cat, has had a clean bill of health her whole life and has responded well to change as far as cats go. The first of June we moved into a new house and got a new dog. Punky wasn't pleased but I made sure that she got extra attention and toys. When I took her and her sister (Roxie) for their yearly check ups Punky weighed in at 19 pounds and I was advised to put her on a diet. So, I switched to the weight control Iams (i've always fed them Iams).

Last week we went on vacation from Wed thru Sunday. We had someone keep the dog but left Punky and Roxie with plenty of food, water, and several litter boxes. I thought this would be less stressful than boarding them considering all the changes in their lives recently. Sunday when we returned I noticed that Punky wasn't acting herself. I found her hiding in my closet and I picked her up and she was light as a feather! I started looking back and realized (hindsight being 20/20) that she hadn't been as friendly and had been keeping to herself for probably 2-3 weeks. Before this there wasn't any indication of a problem. This morning she was drinking water and even came out to roam around the house when our dog went outside for the day (the dog stays inside at night and when weather is bad).
But I made her a vet appointment anyway and while putting her in her carrier noticed her mouth was a pale yellowish color.

The vet says he has no way of telling how long its been going on or what might have caused it. Could she really have starved herself, causing liver damage, because we left her for 5 days? She's getting IV fluids and food and staying with the Vet until at least Friday. He suggested I not see her again today and come back tomorrow.

How can this happen so suddenly? I really can't look back and notice anything different until about 2 weeks ago, 3 at the absolute most. If she turns around, what do I do when she comes home to keep it from happening again?

I would do anything for my animals to keep them happy and healthy. I just don't know what to think....

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat has fatty liver syndrome and it might not be an easy road. This is more common then you would imagine and I've been through it. My cat kismet stopped eating and we never have figured out why, but often it is emotional, so it it likely from all the change and you being away. In overweight cat's it is worse (kismet wasn't overweight). How ever Fatty liver syndrome (or hepadic lipidosis) is cureable, however as I said if your cat is jaundice it won't be easy.

It is good you have your vet looking after her. Food and fluids is the only cure. If your cat doesn't start eating talk to your vet about getting a feeding tube, it isn't that big a deal, but it will save your cats life, I can't stress enough that food is the ONLY cure.

I know this is all overwhelming and here are some resources

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/F...isted-Feeding/

Once you hear from the vet please update, and please PM me if you have any specific questions

Good luck to you and your kitty

Depending on how bad it is, it can take weeks - months for them to start eating unfortunately, as for it not happening again? getting him to lose weight and carefully monitoring eating is all you can do, the blood panel will likely indicate that there is nothing wrong but liver enzymes which means it probably won't happen again........

I know how hard this is........

maxcat08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that this is happening. There are so many variables and it's hard to believe that an otherwise happy, healthy cat would stop eating on purpose...it's hard to say what came first...a failing liver...or the not eating that might have caused liver problems. When one is not specifically looking for changes..sometimes it's hard to see them. She is so young.

My Max..did almost the same thing, but it wasn't his liver. The Vet thinks it was his heart....he went downhill very quickly...and I was on vacation when this all happened.

I hope that Punky can be given a new lease on life. Hang in there

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't blame yourself! nobody can predict this!!! You are doing everything you can, visiting your kitty at the vet will make him happy. Ask your vet about the disease but be aware many vets are not overly aggressive with feeding, check out the message board I sent you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bran01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

You can't blame yourself! nobody can predict this!!! You are doing everything you can, visiting your kitty at the vet will make him happy. Ask your vet about the disease but be aware many vets are not overly aggressive with feeding, check out the message board I sent you.
Ok- I've been to the message board and I've been reading. It doesn't sound good that she was already showing signs of Jaundice. But as I was thinking back over everything the last 2 weeks- the Friday before last (July 18th) I made a tuna salad ( I remember because I made it from a different low-fat recipe) and I always drain the juice from the tuna can into 2 small bowls and give it to my cats as a treat. Punky couldn't get enough and I have to keep her away from Roxie's bowl. So, it's been at least that long since she had a healthy appetite that I could tell. This just happened so fast. I had no idea that it was even a risk.

If Punky is not eating tomorrow when I get there I should advise a feeding tube? He only mentioned IV fluids today but do you think he's using the fluids to get her to feeling better so she will eat? Has anyone out there had this get to the point of obvious jaundice and still have the cat come through it?

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kismet was jaundice, I'll try to find her thread......
She was 12 pounds and was down to5 pounds at her worse and she came through, is 100% now and has never turned back

cyndr03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Positive thoughts for you and Punky. Hope she feels better soon.

bran01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Kismet looks just like Punky! even the little black spot on her nose!
You went through so much. I know I'm cut out for all the hard work. I had a diabetic cat for about 6 years and she had to have a restricted diet and insulin shots twice a day. As soon as we got into a routine it was easy.

I'm just worried. You had a friend take Kismet home and fed her every 30 minutes. I don't know how I can do that. I just started a new job literally on Monday. Are you still feeding Kismet through a tube or syringe? Should I suggest that my vet go ahead with a feeding tube tomorrow?

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please follow lmunsie's advice. I lost a 2 year old kitty to Hepatic Lipidosis. That was almost 8 years ago and I still start crying when I think about it. It is so hard for me to even read the HL posts.
My vet was not aggressive with treatment and I didn't have any knowledge.

Aggressive treatment with a feeding tube is the only cure. Get that feeding tube ASAP and make sure there are many small meals through out the day.
Feeding tubes are far less stressful on the cat than trying to syringe or force feed.

Sadly Hepatic Lipidosis is a huge killer of cats and most cat owners have no idea it even exists until their cat is stricken. What is even worse is that overweight kitties can get HL with as little as 24-48 hours without eating or even just reduced eating. I wish vets would educate all cat owners about HL before a cat is sick. This is the only way to catch a problem and try to prevent HL. It should be standard dialog, just like heartworm prevention education is with dog owners.

I can't tell you how sorry I am that you and Punky are going through this. I am sending lots and lots of healing vibes for your sweet girl. lmunsie's beautiful Kismet is living proof that HL doesn't have to be a death sentence so don't give up hope.

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No no! Kismet recovered in about 2 or 3 months! She eats like a champ now and has never been a problem since. She is back up to 12 pounds.

She only had a tube down her nose, which isn't nice, but she was already too weak at the point she got the tube that she wouldn't have survived a surgery to implant one, and only had to have the feedings every 30 minutes for a couple days, after which she had a couple feedings a day and was left overnight with food, which she slowly started getting interested in, at which point we injected her with appetite stimulants which helped, but will do you no good until your kitty is eating.

I had the same problem as you, as at my work it was very difficult to leave and come home and feed her, but while she was at home before my friends dad took her I did it everyday at lunch, and would give her most of the day to sleep, then I would get up at night and feed her every two hours. if I had been able to get an E-tube it would have been much easier, you can get them down to less feedings a day and bigger feedings, force feeding by hand is VERY difficult, also they can live with the E-tube for months with no problems......

Speak to your vet tomorrow and see what they say, try not to worry too much, but don't despair either. Again that yahoo forum will be a great resource if your baby doesn't start eating soon, it has descriptions of all the different tubes etc.

You will be in my thoughts and I'll check back tomorrow. Try to get a good rest....

bran01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by lmunsie

No no! Kismet recovered in about 2 or 3 months! She eats like a champ now and has never been a problem since. She is back up to 12 pounds.

She only had a tube down her nose, which isn't nice, but she was already too weak at the point she got the tube that she wouldn't have survived a surgery to implant one, and only had to have the feedings every 30 minutes for a couple days, after which she had a couple feedings a day and was left overnight with food, which she slowly started getting interested in, at which point we injected her with appetite stimulants which helped, but will do you no good until your kitty is eating.

I had the same problem as you, as at my work it was very difficult to leave and come home and feed her, but while she was at home before my friends dad took her I did it everyday at lunch, and would give her most of the day to sleep, then I would get up at night and feed her every two hours. if I had been able to get an E-tube it would have been much easier, you can get them down to less feedings a day and bigger feedings, force feeding by hand is VERY difficult, also they can live with the E-tube for months with no problems......

Speak to your vet tomorrow and see what they say, try not to worry too much, but don't despair either. Again that yahoo forum will be a great resource if your baby doesn't start eating soon, it has descriptions of all the different tubes etc.
I've been reading that website all evening. Its got some great information. My vet never said Punky had Fatty Liver Syndrome. He said what we are looking at is liver failure and it's up to Punky if she gets better or not. Now, I've been seeing my vet for many years and I believe he's a caring and knowledgable vet. But I think he may roll his eyes when I go in tomorrow and say, I've been on the internet and.....
Punky is known as a "difficult" cat. The phrase "Angry Kitty" is used to describe her in her vet chart. The vet had to sedate her today to draw blood. So, I don't even want to attempt trying to force feed her. Depending on how she's doing I'm going to suggest a feeding tube. I'm going to start researching tubes and prices so I'll know what I'm up against.
Thank you so much! I think you may have saved Punky...

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately, for some reason, many vets don't take it seriously, But the only way to diagnose it is - No eating, Liver failure and extreme weight loss, sounds like your kitty has it. And it unfortunatly is not up to Punky, punky feels very nauseous and doesn't want to eat, which in turn makes her worse and it is a terrible cycle! We HAVE to intervene, it is up to us in reality. You may have to go to another vet to get the E-tube put in unfortunatly........

And you may have saved her life by coming and looking for advice

Many hugs to you
and vibes to punky

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other thing to remember is there is no law that says that all of the feedings have to be given during the day. Give a feeding in the morning before you go to work, when you get home, beofre you go to bed and a couple of times during the night. Perhaps there would be someone who could come in the middle of the day for a feeding - maybe the vet tech, for a small fee? A responsible high school neighbor coming by at lunch, a stay-at-home mom or someone who works out of their house. Punky just needs a jump-starting, so it won't be forever.

bran01

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was able to visit with Punky today around 10:30 this morning. She looked much better and had much more energy. They had stopped her fluid via IV because she had so much built up in her arm where the IV was. Said this was a good sign that she wasn't as dehydrated as we thought. She ate a little dry food this morning. She ate 2 servings of pureed baby food (chicken) while I was there. The vet called to tell me that she ate more all by herself after I left. And no vomiting. She's urinated and he hopes she'll have a bowel movement tomorrow. He wants to keep her until Friday or Saturday and said this was the best we could expect in less that 24 hours of her treatment. She's still yellow around the mouth and ears but the vet said that symptom is usually the last to go away so not to judge her condition based on that alone. Punky and I hung out for about 45 minutes and she was up, walking around, eating and be curious and checking things out. She was very loving and purring. I could tell that after about 30-40 minutes she was getting tired so I didn't want to stress her out. I'm going back to see her tomorrow.
I mentioned a feeding tube to the doc. He wasn't sure she needed it since she was eating and drinking on her own.
Thanks to everyone that responded yesterday. It helped to ease my mind and know what to expect and what to ask the vet. I know she's not out of the woods yet and I'm still keeping a feeding tube open for discussion if she's not further along tomorrow.
thanks from me and Punky!

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't offer any advice on this but just want to extend my best wishes for Punky and you.

Many Prayers and for Punky and you.

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I commend you on you bravery and love and caring and dedication to Punky. I would have been in pieces over this

lmunsie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
the fact that she ate is AMAZING!!!!! So good, the fluids are hopefully helping her feel better. Just an FYI Kismets yellow colour didn't go away for over 2 weeks even when she was eating!

Keep it up, try baby food as well, cats find meat flavoured ones very apetizing!

Keep us updated, you are being such an amazing kitty parents