My cat Injured a Prairie Dog,

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ive still got it, need to know how to figure out if its okay or not! Someone want to help a girl out and tell me how I know if its going to die or not? And maybe what to do with it?? It has a bite through its cheek and another through its foot! Its very sweet! I know this isn't where this thread is suppose to go but Im freaking out!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my it is cute. I have no idea what to do. I think I would clean it's wounds, If it looks like it is not doing well , I probably needs a vet

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
awww Bless the little prairie dog. I would becareful as they do carry the flea that causes boubonic(sp) plague. I don't know what the statistics are. I'm not sure what the wildlife people would do if you called them. I know in my area they would probably do the unmentionable cause they are not welcome by the farmers. I'm not much help, sorry

Clean up it's wounds and take it to a vet

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mbjerkness

Oh my it is cute. I have no idea what to do. I think I would clean it's wounds, If it looks like it is not doing well , I probably needs a vet
Its adorable! Im so worried about the little guy... he's just the cutest thing Ive ever seen! I think Im going to have to take him to the vet because the one claw is definatly on its way off and they could probably make him more comfortable, he has a puncture wound straight through the cheek and he just looks at you with those big eyes! I feel so bad... BooBoo is in deep trouble! I dont know how in the world BooBoo found him but thats so not nice... I bet the mother is so upset!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs vet care - cat bites, as we all know, can be full of infection. You can call your local dept of natural resources .... try a vet first - if nothing else to start anti-bios.

kristykitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
aww, he is so cute! Poor little guy. I agree with everyone, saying you should call a vet and go from there. Would Animal Control really want to put him down? I figured they would treat him and then release him into the wild.

Don't blame BooBoo though, I bet he thought he was bringing you a gift

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
poor....
I hope don´t be serious....
did you can take it with a vet?....

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
for him...
a soon recovery....

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's with the Zoo's vet now... They will take care of him.... My came over and picked him up and the zoo said they would take him on since he is friendly so they thought he might be able to be part of the petting zoo if they can save him... the one claw will be coming off and the cheek needs to be cared for and they have to check to see if anything else is wrong with him... I didn't know what else to do! He's too sweet not to find someone to take care of them, and Zoo School that they have keeps little critters for pets for the kids to play with... I just hope he is going to be okay, I would have never thought that a cat with no claws who is 8 years old could hunt like that, but I was wrong, and I know its a cats natural instinct to hunt so Im not really mad at BooBoo, he did give him to me when I asked him to!

Little Azzy's legs and tail still work so I hope thats a plus!

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a great solution! Congratulations on figuring that out. Impressive problem solving!

I hope that the Prairie Dog recovers well, and that BooBoo has reduced hunting success in the future!

mbjerkness

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

He's with the Zoo's vet now... They will take care of him.... My came over and picked him up and the zoo said they would take him on since he is friendly so they thought he might be able to be part of the petting zoo if they can save him... the one claw will be coming off and the cheek needs to be cared for and they have to check to see if anything else is wrong with him... I didn't know what else to do! He's too sweet not to find someone to take care of them, and Zoo School that they have keeps little critters for pets for the kids to play with... I just hope he is going to be okay, I would have never thought that a cat with no claws who is 8 years old could hunt like that, but I was wrong, and I know its a cats natural instinct to hunt so Im not really mad at BooBoo, he did give him to me when I asked him to!

Little Azzy's legs and tail still work so I hope thats a plus!
That is good news. I think that was the best thing to do. I am sure he will receive the best care. he is such a cutie BooBoo was just doing what kitties do

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well my little Prairie dog Azzy is now on antibiotics for the cat bites and is healing nicely! He's in a small area right now where they can take care of him until he gets better and then he will be moved to a bigger area! He's doing good! I was certain he wasn't going to make it but he did!! YAY!!

I really hope BooBoo's hunting skills start to decrease because he is on a roll, we've had 3 birds and now a prairie dog! I keep telling him he can't eat whatever he wants because he'll get another UTI but he doesn't listen to me the little stinker!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww BooBoo's just being a good kitty, exhibiting typical good kitty behaviour. Perhaps you could get him a collar with a bell that makes a lot of noise to scare his would-be prey away from him.

I'm glad the prairie dog made it, but SOOO not glad he's gonna be in a petting zoo for the rest of his life. I wish they would just release him back into the wild where he should be... His destiny is not to be petted by kids
He's a wild animal and he probably has family that misses him.

Prairie dogs are highly social animals that need to be with his own kind... Since you've already gone out of your way to save him, would you extend your kindness and try convincing the zoo to release him near to where you live so he can be reunited with his folks? A life in captivity has really little quality for a wild animal...

Here's a link to Wikipedia, you can read more about their natural behaviour here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prairie_dog