OMG We just had a huge Earthquake.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm still shaking. It was a HUGE jolt. WOW I don't know what it was on the scale, but I'll bet it was at LEAST a 5.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just heard on the news that it was a 5.8, which is pretty big. They said it was felt as far south as San Diego and as far east as Las Vegas.

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It felt almost violent the way it jerked so hard. It center was 29 miles from downtown LA. I live in the Hollywood area, so I'm a little bit farther from where the center of the quake was set. But there hasn't been anything like this since the Big Northridge quake years ago. I am calming down a bit, but I'm still shakey.

The kitty's and I are fine. It sure mellowed out Simba.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just saw a report on the news. Scary, hope you are all ok Hope!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow! How scary! I'm so glad you and the cats are okay!

siggav

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The biggest earthquake I've been in was a 6.4 one, although the centre of it was around 50 miles away from where I was. I'd been in multiple smaller earthquakes before then though so it wasn't too scary although it was plenty unsettling, especially qhen the smaller aftershock earthquakes just kept coming.

I'm glad to have been through it though, it's an interesting experience.

Good to hear though that you're ok. It really depends on where you are in the world how dangerous earthquakes are.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Woo Hoo! Well that was fun!

I am about 30-40 miles SW of Chino Hills where it was centered.

I was sitting at my computer and felt the swaying for about 10 seconds and then BOOM the heavy shaking started and all the cats went running in every direction. The shaking lasted about 10 seconds and was pretty strong and then the swaying began again and lasted anther 10-15 seconds.
Damage reports are starting to come in now - water main breaks, roadway damage, runway damage at airports - hope everyone is ok. No damage here but it sure got my heart going!

It wasn't THAT bad but it was certainly the biggest since Northridge I think. The thing with Northridge tho is that it kept going and going. At least this one was shorter.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so glad that you and the kitties are ok! I hope no one else was hurt.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am home sick today and was laying in bed half asleep. I felt a gentle swaying like I was in a boat. DH got up a half hour later and turned on the TV. They were talking about the quake. Hope everything is ok down there!

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So far there are no reports of injuries. So, I don't think anyone was hurt. It will take a while before they get all of the damage reports.

No it wasn't anywhere near as bad as Northridge, but it was the worst one I've felt since that one. Also with Northridge, there was non stop aftershocks, that were almost as bad as the original quake. My kitty's took off running to their little cubbyholes, and Simba who is usually so active has been quiet since the quake.

There as a lot of aftershocks after this quake as well, but we aren't feeling them, here in Los Angeles. I would imagine the people in Chino Hills are feeling the aftershocks. Anyway that big jolt was really scarey. When you don't have quakes for several years, you get sort of unused to them, if you know what I mean.

I just heard on the news they lowered the magnitude of the quake from 5.8 to 5.4.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd pass out from fear! Hope this finds all you California folks healthy and happy, if a little "shook up".

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember the Northridge quake. We had a kingsize waterbed and the waves woke us up. We didn't know how bad it was until we woke up.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
To me, the scarey thing about earthquakes is when it happens you don't know where the epicenter is so you are not sure "how bad" it really is. For example, if the earthquake today had been centered where I live, it would not have been that big. But say it had been centered in San Francisco (400 miles away), then it would have been reallly bad. So that is what always goes through my mind during a quake, until I can get online or turn the TV on to see where the epicenter was.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I'm glad to hear there are no reports of injuries. They're scary. We get them in the area where I live, but usually nothing higher than around 5.0.

Did any of your cats seem to sense it coming, Hope?