21% of kids 8-10 have cellphones

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
11 years ago I had a phone when I was ten. I don't see what's wrong with them. It's a great way to ease parents minds knowing that if their kid doesn't show up on time they can ring and see why instead of calling the police and realising that the kid was perfectly safe in dentention...yeah my phone went dead and my mum did call the police because I had a dention and she couldn't get a hold of me. Phones give children independance whilst allowing parents ease of mind which is not a bad thing.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I dont see the need for a NON driving kid to have one other than the firefly type

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
For a younger kid (when I eventually have them) I would only get the ones meant for kids - you know like 4 programmable buttons plus 911... in junior high/hs (I graduated HS in 2002) I started sharing my dad's phone... it was his work phone, but had free nights and weekends, so that's when I had it (and my friends knew to call only at those times)... then one Valentine's Day after a couple years, Daddy came home with my own phone and my own contract - that probably wasn't until junior or senior year of high school

Who knows how the world will operate a few years from now... I mean as it is, I'm totally lost if I don't have my blackberry with me and don't really know any numbers off the top of my head - kinda sad, but it's how things are going I guess

j_f_a

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I see nothing wrong with highschool kids having their own phone that they can dial their friends from if it's on pay as you go and they pay for it because as well as being available to parents they also learn how much phones cost and have to earn it. .

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cell phones are great for kids!
They're great for emergencies and I think they're a modern tool to teach them to be more responsible and independent. If they understand that a cell phone is more of a priviledge than a toy, I think there would be no problem about abusing or wasting its use.

snosrap5

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My sons were about 14 or 15 when we bought cell phones for them. I wanted to know where they were, who they were with at all times. I didn't want the excuse of I wasn't near a phone to call.

I'm not sure if they need phones any earlier than 14 or 15 but as long as it doesn't interfere with school and it's not glued to their ear 24/7. I don't have a problem with it.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think young teenagers yes, but kids younger than that no. Most of the children where i live are not allowed to leave the estate, so there no reason why they need to have a mobile.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO unless the child has a job to be paying for their phone, they won't get one from me - that was our rule for the boys - no job, no phone
I'm not taking the responsibility for a phone bill.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think that kids of any age should have one unless they can pay for it themselves.
Many kids this is is a right rather than a privledge to have one.
With families struggling to make ends meet that is an item that can be eliminated from their budget.
There are way to many "helicopter" parents today-don't they trust their own children?

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was 14 when my parents finally gave me a Tracfone (pay as you go) for Christmas. I had begged and begged for a phone for awhile. When I was 14-15, I started hanging out in town with my friends a lot and walking home from school, so having a phone made sense. I think it's ridiculous when these 10 year olds have phones. A friend of mine gave her 9 year old daughter her old Blackberry, and a co-worker gave her grandson a phone just before he turned 10.

sneakymom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My kids are 14 and 11. No, neither of them have cellphones. Though I get the daily "Can I have a phone? Everyone else has one".

I don't really see the need for it at the moment. True- I let the girls go on bike rides around the neighborhood, and to the middle school (we live right behind it). And there have been a couple of times when they've done youth group "stuff" where it would have been nice for them to have a phone so that I wouldn't be waiting, and waiting, and WAITING in the church parking lot for the bus to come back

But for those times- I can just let them borrow mine. My husband has one. And if I'm not with him- I'm at home.

Beyond those times- I don't see the need for one. My oldest will be of driving age this time next year. And then she WILL have a cell phone. There is no way she's getting into a car and not having one. Esp since she's going to have a used car.

But I honestly can't see the need for it until then. You can't have it on in school. You can get suspended for it. That's what I've read. Though one of dd's middle school teachers last year said that they know the kids have phones, and as long as they don't go off during class they're ok with it.

h~chan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry, but I think kids 8-10 are a bit young to be having their own cell phones..
Just my opinion.

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
e-gads! I never had a cell phone when I was a teen-ager! Whatever did me and my parents do!?!?

Seriously though, I think that once a teen-ager has a job and is driving than it would be a good idea to have a cell phone...as long as the kid understands that driving and using the cell are not simultaneous activities

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Got my first cell phone when I was in college, because it was cheaper for my parents than paying for long distance (I lived in the dorms, 1.5 hours away from home *bliss*).

When I had to go out with friends (in high school), my mom let me use her phone to get in touch with her if I had to. I had a pager, but no phone of my own.

And I turned out ok, didn't I?

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little sister had one at 10 years old (she's 13 now). It made sense though. I moved out of the house and she's the only child left at home. My parents both work, and they wanted her to have a phone so she wouldn't answer the home phone. My parents are super worried about everything. "If she answered the home phone and said we weren't there, people would know she was alone and might come to hurt her!" It makes sense and I suppose if it makes them feel better
She's still not alowed to answer the home phone at 13 if she's the only one home
It's funny, but safety first.

I got mine at 16 when I started driving, I'm 21 now, so it wasn't that long ago.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I got a cell phone when I started driving. I paid for it myself. I think that's the way I would do it with my own kids.... when you can pay for it, you can have it.

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by yayi

Cell phones are great for kids!
They're great for emergencies and I think they're a modern tool to teach them to be more responsible and independent. If they understand that a cell phone is more of a priviledge than a toy, I think there would be no problem about abusing or wasting its use.

I'll probably get flamed
for this but both my kids have cell phones. They're 6 and 10.
My oldest has had one since he was 8 and Deacon who is 6 just got one a little while back.
Justice's dad got him a real phone through Sprint and gave Deacon Justice's Firefly

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
How in the world did I manage without a cellphone until I was 31 years old in 2003?? I had a pager in my early 20's, the phones were about 5-6 lbs. and about a foot long.

I think in this day and age, kids have the capability and the need to have cellphones. Granted, they don't need to be on them 24/7 unless mom and dad aren't paying for them. I think a 9-10 year old can be responsible enough to have a cellphone.