Purrrrsuasion

melissa4321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Adagio is expecting Kittens in a few short weeks, and I noticed that she has become dangerously fond of my mother's closet.

The problem is that my mother is not very fond of Daggi and will have a FIT if she nests in the closet.

I have a box for her in the laundry room where her food is, but I have never actually seen her go in it herself. I think the laundry room is too loud for her.

Time is running out and I would like to deter her from giving birth in my mom's closet. Any tips for persuading her to nest somewhere more convenient?

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is there another closet or bathroom that she could go in, if so set up a box in there. Otherwise try setting up a couple different boxes and see if she will use them. Others should be able to give you more advice!

Manda

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I decided where Lucia was going to have her kittens by confining her in my bathroom. It is a large bathroom that is warm and quiet so it was ok. Clear out a space in your closet and keep her in your room.
Since your mother is not crazy about the cat then it is best for both of them to make sure the cat stays in your room. Then the cat and her babies can stay there for awhile without having the stress of a move.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

melissa4321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My room is in the basement, and at first I was worried about her having to go up and down stairs, but I guess that getting a little muscle won't hurt

I'll move her stuff in my room today. I'm shocked that I didn't think of this actually, because my mom's closet and mine are almost exactly the same size.

Should I move her litter box downstairs too? I read somewhere that they don't like to give birth very near the litter box.

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put my cat in my room with the door closed. she had a nesting box and food close by then further away was the litter box. she was in there until the kitten (she only had one) was 8 1/2 weeks old and then I let her out with the baby. before that she would have small excursions out of the room when the baby was sleeping if I let her out. but she was locked in my room from about 2-3 weeks before she was due until 8 1/2 weeks after for the most part.

melissa4321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Did you keep her in there even when people were home, or did you still let her roam around?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not let her roam. Cats can be so stubborn if they decide on a place that is inconvenient. Let her get used to being in there. I put a scratching pad in there and I put her litterbox around a corner away from her birthing area.
She will be fine. I put a Feliway plug in the room to help her relax. Lucia has been confined for awhile and she seems to really like it. It is quiet and it is hers. She can feel ownership of her space.
Then she won't have to move the babies either. They can stay in your room as they grow.

melissa4321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
uh oh.

my mom is VERY VERY upset about me putting the litter box in my room. I put cardboard under the box so that it won't get messy and I bought Febreeze to minimize the stink (though I don't ever really notice it).

She told me to move everything back into the laundry room, because she is afraid of Adagio making a mess on the carpet. I told her that I would find something bigger to place under the box (or maybe I can get one of those those kitty litter pads).

She is now being very very stubborn.

So am I.

mountaindew

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
it is hard since I am guessing that you are a teen so you do have to follow your moms rules. But try to explain that if she is allowed to roam the house that when she has the babies she will NOT just go where you want her to. she will pick the spot she wants and have them there either in her closet, or on a carpet etc.....

And yes even when we were home she was locked in my room. she loves it in there as it is usually off limits to the cats (we have a waterbed. LOL) so it is a special treat for her so that was pretty easy.

robertm

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melissa4321

She told me to move everything back into the laundry room, because she is afraid of Adagio making a mess on the carpet. I told her that I would find something bigger to place under the box (or maybe I can get one of those those kitty litter pads).
A number of people have recommended a desk chair mat. You know, those plasticky things that protect the carpet underneath the chair from getting worn from the wheels, and also allow the chair to move more easily.

The mat tends to be so large relative to the size of the litter box that it makes accidents on the carpet unlikely. And for what it's worth, it's possible that the change in surface from carpet to plastic mat as the cat approaches the litter box makes it less likely that the cat will ever normally associate "carpet" with "toilet".

And of course it's not my carpet, but....Even if Adagio were to make a mess on the carpet, enzymatic cleaners are usually very effective at removing the smell and physical evidence of the mess. But chances are, as long as something large enough is under the box, there should be no problems.

melissa4321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RobertM

A number of people have recommended a desk chair mat. You know, those plasticky things that protect the carpet underneath the chair from getting worn from the wheels, and also allow the chair to move more easily.

The mat tends to be so large relative to the size of the litter box that it makes accidents on the carpet unlikely. And for what it's worth, it's possible that the change in surface from carpet to plastic mat as the cat approaches the litter box makes it less likely that the cat will ever normally associate "carpet" with "toilet".

And of course it's not my carpet, but....Even if Adagio were to make a mess on the carpet, enzymatic cleaners are usually very effective at removing the smell and physical evidence of the mess. But chances are, as long as something large enough is under the box, there should be no problems.
oooh, thats a good idea! and yes, my mom is weird about carpets. I have loads of carpet cleaner and I have lots faith in them.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When Lucia had her babies it was somewhat messy but not all that bad.
Let your mother know that if you make a spot she is likely to have them there but if she is somewhere else then the mess could be worse. Which is true.

melissa4321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
GOOD NEWS!
I got my mom to start trusting me finally and letting Adagio stay in my room!
All I said was, "Trust me, I looked it up."
and she backed off. I don't know much about cats, but I have done my fair share of research and she doesn't know squat.

So there.
Me and Daggi are happy again and expecting kittens in 2-4 weeks

melissa4321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have Adagio's nest all set up nicely for her, and I sneak treats in there from time to time.
I never see her spend any time in there unless it's for retrieving the yummies. She does spend an awful lot of time chillin out on my bed with me though.
Should I anticipate having to buy new bed sheets, or is it normal for Cats to not start nesting until way later on?

She has 2-4 weeks left of pregnancy according to the vet.

Sorry, this is probably a dumb question.