Feliway diffuser question

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat pees in front of the box in the bathroom. We're pretty sure it's because of the scent of a previous cat. Can we put a diffuser in the actual bathroom, or will that deter her from using the box more?

Thanks in advance!

We have other boxes...but for some reason she still loves to mark there.

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Have you tried cleaning the area with an enzyme-based cleaner? Most pet stores will have various types, and they break down the scent at the basic level, so it completely takes it away.

Just thought I'd put the idea out there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by maherwoman

Have you tried cleaning the area with an enzyme-based cleaner? Most pet stores will have various types, and they break down the scent at the basic level, so it completely takes it away.

Just thought I'd put the idea out there.
ohhhh yes! we've tried a ton. I'm guessin the scent is down in the grout and even maybe under the tile. We're renters so we won't bother doing anything about it. It doesn't bother our noses to much, but one of our cats is very territorial and pre-disposed to be a "pee'er"

maherwoman

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LOL...I know what you mean about being renters...same situation here.

I wish I had other advice for ya...but I'm sure someone'll be along here shortly to help.

Hugs to you and yours!

Rosie*

enuja

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How about using the feliway spray on the tile? I assume the smell of the spray is designed to stay more localized than the diffuser, so as long as you don't spray in the box, the box will still smell okay-to-urinate. Just a guess, though.

On the other hand, if it's just one spot, could you just move the box to cover the spot?

aswient

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a difuser in my bathroom. I have a male that is constantly spraying all over because of a couple of strays outside that I feed. Also, with taking the stains out I use white vinager. That also takes order out.

Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

venusgirltrap

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Enuja

How about using the feliway spray on the tile? I assume the smell of the spray is designed to stay more localized than the diffuser, so as long as you don't spray in the box, the box will still smell okay-to-urinate. Just a guess, though.

On the other hand, if it's just one spot, could you just move the box to cover the spot?
I do that...the problem is that I noticed the feliway needs to be constantly applied because the scent maybe goes away. I'm not sure...but it usually works at first and after a few days she goes again. I'm going to try the diffuser in the actual bathroom.

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat also has the same problem because of ferals outside.
I use both the diffuser & the spray. Ever since I started using them, she doesn't seem to spray much compared to before, at least stopped dong it in most of the spots. For this one spot(near by the door) she still pees once the scent goes away, I still have to use it about once a week...