Two questions

x0fantasy_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
1) When does a kitten officially become a CAT??

2) How many times a day should I really feed them?
I feed them 3 times a day!
AM-around 6pm-Midnight when I'm off work!

Thaaaank you

meowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A kitten is supposed to eat adult food around 1 year old, so that would be when they are considerd adult. Also, many breeds differ on when they are fully mature. I've read that Manx cats are not fully mature til 5 years old!

An unspayed/neutered (under 4 months old) kitten can eat as much as they want and be fine (free feeding) and after being fixed I'd say it's still a good idea to free feed kittens because they grow so much. Some, but not many, kittens may get a little belly but just keep an eye on them to see if they are getting too fat. 5 months old should equal a 5 pound kitten for instance.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For show purposes (US - 8 months; overseas 9 months) but most kittens would be officially a cat at one year old. Many will still grow/fill out up to 3- 4 yrs depending on breed.

After my kittens are 5-6 months old, they get 2 meals a day - breakfast and supper.

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The vets in my area use the 1 year mark also. They also encourage feeding several times a day. Young cats have so much energy and need to refuel more often.

I have 3 kittens that were bottle fed. One is 3 months old and he eats more often than the other two who are 8 months old. All of the kittens eat more than my older cats. I have the youngest on a kitten food and the older ones on an "all life stages" food. They get canned food 3 to 4 times a day and dry food for treats and left out when I'm out.

I would think if they are hungry and eating well, just keep feeding them like you are now. When they slow down and start eating less then you can lengthen the time before feeding. If you want to change dry food at some point, just do so slowly. Sounds like you are doing what's right for them if they are growing and healthy. They are lucky to have you.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've always fed puppies & kittens 3 times a day until 6 mths old & twice a day until 1 yr old. I was told to put Blossom onto adult food at 8 mths old but kept her on kitten food until about 10-11 months old.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

x0fantasy_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Skimble

The vets in my area use the 1 year mark also. They also encourage feeding several times a day. Young cats have so much energy and need to refuel more often.

I have 3 kittens that were bottle fed. One is 3 months old and he eats more often than the other two who are 8 months old. All of the kittens eat more than my older cats. I have the youngest on a kitten food and the older ones on an "all life stages" food. They get canned food 3 to 4 times a day and dry food for treats and left out when I'm out.

I would think if they are hungry and eating well, just keep feeding them like you are now. When they slow down and start eating less then you can lengthen the time before feeding. If you want to change dry food at some point, just do so slowly. Sounds like you are doing what's right for them if they are growing and healthy. They are lucky to have you.
Thank you
. I'm more lucky to have them then they will ever know

I feed them dry food mixed with the canned goods. They won't eat it any other way, and they love it this way. But Khi has been having diarrhea and I'm assuming its the canned 'wet' food and I'm gonna try and feed her less and less of that. I've already begun to do so.