Migraine Update

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw my family doctor this morning, and she agrees (ya figure?) that $150/month on Imitrex, and 10+ migraines/month is excessive. She wrote me a script for Inderal, and I have a re-check scheduled for September 3rd. I'm supposed to keep a migraine diary for the next 6 weeks, while on the medication, to see if there's any improvement. A couple of people at work told me to be careful about blood pressure drops, and/or dizziness and fainting. Great. I hope and pray that this does what it's supposed to do, without any of the negative side effect!

I'll let you all know how it goes!

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kelli, I hope you get some relief soon. Migraines can be so debilitating. I used to get them all the time when I was young. Not sure if you remember that. I still get them but not very often at all. Anyway... hope the new treatment works and you get relief!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pookie-poo

A couple of people at work told me to be careful about blood pressure drops, and/or dizziness and fainting. Great. I hope and pray that this does what it's supposed to do, without any of the negative side effect!
Can you get a blood pressure cuff to use and keep an eye on things? Watch your heart rate too, in case it drops too low.

A couple of warning signs for me that my BP is lower then usual is that my left ear will ring (right has damage, so it rings anyways) and I'll see more floaters/silver tracers. Sounds odd but when this happens my BP is around 85/50 or lower. Watch the heat, too. Combined with the medicine it could cause more of a drop in BP.

Good luck, and I hope it helps.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope that change in medications help.

Have you seen your dentist? It's possible that you grind your teeth while sleeping or have TMJ, both of which can cause horrid headaches. I went through a battery of brain and body scans and tons of blood work when I was getting frequent headaches. The doctors were perplexed. One day while at the dentist office my dentist asked me if I got headaches. I told him yes. He told me that I grind my teeth and showed me the signs right inside my mouth. He had a dental device made for me that I wear on my upper teeth at night. Since I got that I don't get many headaches at all anymore.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Can you get a blood pressure cuff to use and keep an eye on things? Watch your heart rate too, in case it drops too low.
And while you're getting used to this medication, take it slow and easy when you stand up, especially when you first get up in the morning. I hope this new medicine works for you!

proudmomof3cats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I take propanolol which is the generic of inderal and I LOVE it. I used to have migraines everyday, I have less than one a week now. Imitrex never worked for me so this is great. I hope it works well for you too. Also, it took about a week before it really started to work, so give it time to work. What dose are you on?

Manda