*****KatKwery! - July 28 - It's over!*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Marianjela's long run that is. Well, there are 65 days left.

BelongsToEvie used better which was very interesting considering how she used it! And Glitch used pixel first. Only two winners today. Words not used were advance, anybody, and alive. If you go back and read the questions I think you can see how these words could have been used in the answer although they were just a shade harder. BTW, the playoffs payout has increased!

OK, here we go. Today's KatKwiz was about being able to afford vets.

How often do you take your cat(s) to see a vet? One of mine threw up yesterday which has never happened before; would you have taken them both to the vet? Have you ever looked into the pet medical insurance that you now see advertised? We have talked about cats knowing when we are sick; do you also know when your cats are sick (without the obvious throwing up, etc.) Finally, do you feel that vets make too much money given their training and education?

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

BelongsToEvie used better which was very interesting considering how she used it! And Glitch used pixel first. Only two winners today. Words not used were advance, anybody, and alive. If you go back and read the questions I think you can see how these words could have been used in the answer although they were just a shade harder. BTW, the playoffs payout has increased!

How often do you take your cat(s) to see a vet? One of mine threw up yesterday which has never happened before; would you have taken them both to the vet? Have you ever looked into the pet medical insurance that you now see advertised? We have talked about cats knowing when we are sick; do you also know when your cats are sick (without the obvious throwing up, etc.) Finally, do you feel that vets make too much money given their training and education?
They get their yearly check ups, their shots and such and whenever they aren't feeling well they go in also, and I probably take them in the most when there is nothing actually wrong but they are acting weird and I get over paranoid! I spend alot of quality time at the vets! I probably would have taken them both to the vet, just to make sure there wasn't anything seriously wrong that would cause the vomit! I have looked into pet insurance before and noticed that it costs quite a bit of money, I find it easier for me if I just pay for the vet when the care is needed, for some reason I always manage to come up with the money when its needed! Even when glitch was sick and costing a ton of money I always got him to the vet, almost 3000 dollars later and there was no cure! I normally know when the cats are sick, with the one exception of when Tissy died, I was at the hospital with Jacob while he was having surgery, I didn't know she was sick till I got back from the hospital with him, and then when I took her to the vet he accidently exploded her bladder... A lesson was learned and now BooBoo is watched all the time for Urinary tract infections... I dont know if they make to much money really... They dont bring home an incredible amount or anything, and the fact of the matter is the more you pay the more training they probably have and the more knowledge included! I think some may overcharge but around here its not too bad I guess. There isn't a whole bunch of schools around here for vetrinary science, so the few that do go off on their own and away to college to help the animals I think deserve a decent salary!
I have seen many vets in Sioux Falls who charge way more than they are worth, their services weren't that great and they weren't that helpfull! So I dont know, maybe some vets make too much money, and others not enough! We lost our best vet to texas where she was offered more money, it was unfortunate, we all loved her!

weldrwomn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How often do you take your cat(s) to see a vet?

I take the girls to the vet whenever they are sick or injured or if they need vaccinations. The girls do occasionally get boarded so they need to be kept current on vaccinations.

One of mine threw up yesterday which has never happened before; would you have taken them both to the vet?

It honestly depends on the situation and what the vomit looked like. If it was bloody or abnormal in any way, then I would immediately take the cat into the vet. If it wasn't looking particularly abnormal then I would consider if there were other symptoms. If there were no other symptoms, then I would just observe the cat for a couple of days then decide.

Have you ever looked into the pet medical insurance that you now see advertised?

I have read about it, but am really not interested.

We have talked about cats knowing when we are sick; do you also know when your cats are sick (without the obvious throwing up, etc.)

I am always looking for symptoms for my cats to see if they are ill. I look at their litterbox habits, how much water and food they consume, and their activity levels. Having indoor cats makes it really easy to notice a change that would indicate illness.

Finally, do you feel that vets make too much money given their training and education?

No, I think vets are highly educated individuals who put really long hours and lots of love into their profession. In some respects, their job is more difficult that a human doctor. A cat cannot tell the vet where it hurts or what the symptoms are. A human doctor sees only humans. A vet might see horses, cows, dogs, cats, birds, rodents, and reptiles and the vet has to have a general knowledge of all of these different species. I think that vets (at least most of them) earn their money.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What a way to win points!
And congrats to Glitch!
Oh, and of course you will be still be ALIVE in 10 years!
Marianjela probably purposefully didn't use the secret word to give us all a chance. Right, Marianjela?

I don't take Evie to the vet very often. Last time I took a cat to the vet was little Jack for his eye. $130 for a foster! Basically, I take her for her shots, and would take her if anything seemed to be wrong. So far, she has been a healthy kitty!
<-- Closest I could find to "knock on wood"!

If I had two or more kitties and one had to go to the vet, I would probably take them all. Mainly because I've read on here that when they come back smelling different there can be some rough times to get through! But I wouldn't take my cat to the vet just because she threw up. If it's a hairball or grass or something else "normal", I wouldn't. But, if it was bloody or something I would in a heartbeat!

No, I've never really looked in to pet health insurance. Not sure why... Maybe I should! Especially with my two old dogs, pet insurance would be useful. So if I bought some for Evie BEFORE she got old... Hmm...
It'd be a good idea!

I think I would know when Evie is sick. Thankfully, she hasn't been. Yay for indoor kitties! I watch her very closely, and notice changes in behavior pretty quickly (I think!). So if it was a warning sign, like eating more or less, I would bring her in.

No, in fact, I think vets probably make too little! As WELDRWOMN said, they need to be highly educated- human doctors only need to know people, but vets need to know dogs, cats, birds, horses, you name it! And, they can't talk to their patients to find out symptoms or history. It's a tough job!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shew! I am almost relieved it is over. The pressure was just too much!
And, BelongstoEvie, you're really climbing up that ladder - you go girl!

My pets go to the doctor, er um, veterinarian's at least once a year a piece, for their shots and yearly check-up. My kids have their well-visits around their birthdays - that's how I remember to keep track, and that's the rule I use for the pets as well. But of course more if they have any issues that come up. For example, my newfoundland dog had arthritis in his front legs and we've had to take him on for that. Before he was first diagnosed we thought he had broken his leg, when we took this 100 + pound dog to the vet, we had to carry him, that is how bad it was. When we walked through the door he was fine and walked on it with hardly any trouble -
The vet said it was common and it was actually the adrenaline that made him feel better. Made sense.

I wouldnt have taken, nor have I ever, taken a pet (cat or dog) to the vet for just throwing up before. I would have assumed it was something he ate or maybe a hairball and waited to see if there were any other symptoms or if anything else progressed. Years ago we had an English Springer Spaniel and had to take him to the vet after days of nausea and lethargy. Several hundred dollars later, a substantial scare, IV meds and days later he recovered. He is a miracle puppy. The vet originally thought he had something different that would've have cost us not only double the money, but also double the recovery time and half the survival rate. So even though the final cost was high, it was still less than predicted, so it made the fall a little softer
Does that make sense? Although, I gotta say, at the time, the cost wasnt really an issue. Of course it crosses your mind, but it wasnt a factor. We have a reputation with our vet and they are very accommodating. We are able to make monthly payments on our bill over the course of several months to bring our account current. I think vets know things happen and, not to mention I imagine it is in their nature to be compassionate. Especially when you are already adamant about your pet's care.

For the most part, I do not feel vets make too much money, especially given their time/hours and education (not only the cost of their education but the time they put into their training). But there are some vets that take advantage and jack up the prices of things. Sometimes there is a "you get what you pay for" but mostly... When we adopted Willow from the pound over 3 years ago, she was already 5 weeks pregnant. 4 weeks to the day from her adoption date, she had a litter of kittens. Two days after that she developed a horrible fever and didnt want to nurse her kittens. I took her to our local emergency vet and they ran x-rays and did their thing; the next day I had to take her to our regular vet and they repeated the x-rays. The x-rays at my regular vet cost me more than the same x-rays taken at the emergency vet. That surprised me! I imagine my regular vet charges more for x-rays to make up for the lack of funds in other places... who knows how they decide.

Anyway!

I have looked into pet insurance for my animals, in fact it was an advertisement that took me to it at the time. But I didnt think it was worth it in the end. It doesnt cover routine visits. Only emergency situations. So it's like a carp shoot. In a case like that, Care Credit works just as well if you need it - then use it. Not the other way around.

Lastly, this sixth sense that animals have... I really believe in that. If you've ever witnessed a pet around someone that passed on later, or the depression an animal goes through after that person is gone! I think they do know when someone is sick. Of the seven of us in my house, my animals tend to gravitate toward Joshua. I have hundreds of pictures of them curled up to him when he sleeps at night. Even more so than my "animal-lover" daughter. My youngest daughter is a self-proclaimed dog whisperer - LOL - and Chewbacca follows her around that house where ever she goes. She cant even go to the bathroom without Chewy laying at the bathroom door waiting for her to come out. I'm not kidding. At night when Kennidy goes to bed, Chewbacca will look room to room until he finds where she's bunking (which never seems to be in her own bed
). Heaven forbid Kenni sleepover at a friend's house, Chewy goes crazy going from window to door to another window to back door, looking for his girl to come home. Having said all that, Chewy still sleeps at Joshua's feet. We've babysat our sister-in-laws and our parents dogs and they too sleep with Joshua. I took a picture the other night of our foster cat curled up with Josh. Could be that Josh is a very laid back 5 year old. But who knows... could be that they have an intuition about things; maybe they can sense that he is going through chemo treatments or whatever.

As for people having insight of their pets... I dont think it's as profound as a pets. Our pet's lives revolve around us. Our lives revolve around paying bills and putting food on the table. It takes a little harder smack in the forehead to give us a clue. When Josh first started showing symptoms that something was wrong with him, I had a gut feeling something horrible was wrong. The butterflies were swarming around in my belly. It wasnt until he stopped walking that I knew with more certainty, but I still was leery, I was sure there was no way a child of mine could be diagnosed with something so heavy, it wasnt until the doctor told me that I actually believed it. even still, in hindsight, Josh was sick for a good month or so before more relentless syptoms presented. My sixth sense wasnt as astute. Hmmm... I dont know how I got so far off track from our cat topic. Well, I know... I tend to get wordy. Oh well.

My submission of the day.

ETA: Of course I had to go back and read the words revealed to yesterday's questions. And DARN! I used "anyone" TWICE! Shoud've thought to change the other around - LOL Use the thesaurus more Marian!

...and "alive" shamefully I admit I thought it, but there was no way I was going to type it. DW got me on that one!

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Previously they only went when they were sick (Chester had a UTI) and to get neutered. Now that I've moved to a place that requires rabies, they'll be going for their shots, but otherwise they only go when something is wrong.

One of mine threw up yesterday which has never happened before; would you have taken them both to the vet?
No, I usually find a little vomit in the litter box room once or twice a month. I figure its just an upset tummy, unless something else happens to worry me I dont worry about it.

Have you ever looked into the pet medical insurance that you now see advertised?
No, Ive never looked into it.

We have talked about cats knowing when we are sick; do you also know when your cats are sick (without the obvious throwing up, etc.)
Yes I can usually tell. Kinky has an infection and I noticed his eyes were a little off.

Finally, do you feel that vets make too much money given their training and education?
Not exactly. I think that charging $30+ dollars for an office visit, which includes the checkup is fine, but I've found that the vets I go to dont really do much of a checkup. They ask you what is wrong, listen to the heart and maybe take a temperature. For $30 they should be checking eyes, ears, and mouth and commenting on weight and things like that. One time I brought my dog to the vet, we walked in, she told me there was nothing they could do (he broke a claw) and charged me $25. Just for that. And I do think markup is too much, $20 for a rabies shot that probably cost $3 is just too much. But I guess they do have 8 years of schooling to pay for...

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I never used to have to take Popsie to the vet when he was young and healthy. Now that he's old I've taken him in several times since last September. Most visits were for constipation. Now his visists will be for checkups because he has CRF. I've checked out pet insurance before but I don't know that I'd ever buy it. I can usually always tell when Popsie is sick. He just acts off. I don't think vets make too much money at all.

cocoa cream

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Oh today's KatKwiz and KatKwery hit very close to home today! I just returned from the vet's office with my 3 kittens, and it was expensive! I have had to take the kittens to the vet way too many times since I got them 2 months ago. Let me think...we have had exactly 7 visits with a vet so far, and we are scheduled for their third round of boosters next Monday! I'm hoping that we only have to go in for their spay and neuter appointments after that, until next year. These frequent trips to the clinic really must stop!

I probably would not have taken my cat to the vet just for throwing up once, at least if it was just his/her food. If there was a foreign substance or worms in the vomit, then I would at least call the vet to ask for advice and assitance. Since my kittens are littermates, when one has a medical issue I assume they are all going to need treatment because of sharing litter boxes, bowls and mutual grooming. I have almost always taken all three in at once.

As much as our medical insurance costs, I've never even considered buying pet medical insurance. Although now that we've spent so much on these kittens, I am curious if it would help cut some costs or not.

Every time my cats have been sick, it's been obvious because everything comes out!
I think I would be able to tell if they weren't feeling well, though, because their routine and behavior is pretty predictable.

I suppose some vets are out to make money, but others charge legitimate amounts based on their costs to operate their clinics. I think it's just like anybody in the medical field. You just have to find the right ones!

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found out my vet is on salery! That would just stink... The only extra he gets is for after hours care/ emergency care! So I doubt strongly that he has a very large bank account! They have fixed rates right now too, which is nice for me even though they are far from cheap! 30 dollars for an office visit and thats if no bloodwork has to be done or any shots! I should start giving him tips!
Except for after hours stuff, 200 dollars just for them to drive two miles in the middle of the night and lose a little bit of sleep... what a rip off! But the last time one of my cats had to stay in there overnight they didn't charge me at all for the hospital care, they just charged for the fluids they recieved and whatever medications were given!

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise

they get their shots once a year... they go to the vet whenever they seem sick [i'm a bit of a worrywart - so sometimes they go unnecessarily]. i don't go when one throws up, unless that goes on - mainly because Chip [in particular] is a bit prone to hairballs [doesn't like me to brush him
]. i have a great deal of trouble telling when they're sick vs. just a temporary upset... that's one of the reasons i tend to wait a day to see if it resolves itself. i don't think ALL vets make too much money - but even in my immediate area vet prices vary greatly, so some of them must be 'hosing' their customers... or they're overpaying for their location/whatever & need to charge higher prices to accomodate a larger overhead.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The girls have only gone to the vet for their spays and vaccinations. They never have thrown up as far as I know and the only time they were off their feed is when they first got home after the spay. Dusty took more time to recover than Rusty did.

I feel pet insurance is way too expensive for me. You may as well put the premiums in a special bank account to pay for the vet. The only vet the girls have gone to is the low cost spay and vaccination clinic. I am thinking about changing vets for when the girls get their checkups. A friend of mine has recommended a great vet that specializes in the care of cats. That is the only animal that she will treat. Even though she probably charges more for an office visit, but it would be worth it since she is very knowledgeable about cats.

I don't think vets make too much. They have to know so much about so many animals and their particular quirks and anatomy.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

Shew! I am almost relieved it is over. The pressure was just too much!
And, BelongstoEvie, you're really climbing up that ladder - you go girl!
Wow, thanks! Now that I look, I guess I really am!
And yeah, you must have been feeling like if you are bowling and have like 7 strikes- 5 more and you have a perfect 300! I still think you were just being nice to the rest of us.

Even though my last two wins were kind of silly...

So far, I just answer the questions, and I tend to ramble.
One of these days, I'll have to stop and think about what the words might be and actually try to guess them!

I'm really glad I popped on it and started playing. I was scared to start, but it's been a lot of fun!
I used to just come on TCS if I had a real question to ask or look up, or if I had some free time. Now I make an effort to come on! In fact, Persi and Alley, I think you owe my husband some of my free time!

*pepper*

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Well, so far I have only taken my kittens in for the kitten shots. Then they will go in when they get fixed.
If my cat only threw up once, I wouldn't take him/her in. If it was going on for more then a day then I probably would. I guess it would depend if they how they were acting.
I have looked up medical insurance, but I have a savings put away for emergencies and I think that would work better for us.
So far my kittens haven't acted sick, but with my dog I can tell when he isn't feeling well.
I do think some vets do overcharge for services. but, sometimes you do get what you pay for, as I found out when I took my dog to the "cheapest" vet for his neuter. Luckily I have a found a vet that is right in the middle on prices, and very thorough and caring.

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine go a minimum of once a year for vaccinations, a checkup, and bloodwork for the senior citizens. I usually end up taking them at least one other time throughout the year, though, because I get nervous about something. The diagnosis usually ends up being a paranoid meowmy, though.

No, not unless I saw blood or something scary. I'd just keep an eye on them.

Yes, but both of mine are rescues, and one is handicapped, so the cost is prohibitive. Instead I take $25 out of each paycheck and set it aside in a special savings account for the cats. That way if something catastrophic happens I have a little nest egg to help pay for it.

With Tailer I definitely do. I know when he's not feeling well, when he's scared, when he's sad, etc. With Forest I usually do, but he's more independent so it's harder to tell with him.

No. In fact, I just looked up the average salary for a vet and was shocked to find that it's about the same as mine. Given how much training they have to have and the amount of dedication it takes to do that job I'm surprised it's not more. Keep in mind that they have a lot of overhead...not everything you pay ends up in the vet's pocket.

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

Mine go a minimum of once a year for vaccinations, a checkup, and bloodwork for the senior citizens. I usually end up taking them at least one other time throughout the year, though, because I get nervous about something. The diagnosis usually ends up being a paranoid meowmy, though.

No, not unless I saw blood or something scary. I'd just keep an eye on them.

Yes, but both of mine are rescues, and one is handicapped, so the cost is prohibitive. Instead I take $25 out of each paycheck and set it aside in a special savings account for the cats. That way if something catastrophic happens I have a little nest egg to help pay for it.

With Tailer I definitely do. I know when he's not feeling well, when he's scared, when he's sad, etc. With Forest I usually do, but he's more independent so it's harder to tell with him.

No. In fact, I just looked up the average salary for a vet and was shocked to find that it's about the same as mine. Given how much training they have to have and the amount of dedication it takes to do that job I'm surprised it's not more. Keep in mind that they have a lot of overhead...not everything you pay ends up in the vet's pocket.
BooBoo also has to have a senior panel every year!! Its great of you to take on hadicapped rescues!
I agree with the vets not making that much too, they make the same amount as a teacher... and teachers are well under paid!