EFA Dosage for cat with miliary dermatitis

teach333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there! My cat has miliary dermatitis. She was on prednisone but would not take the pills. She had her first shot of depomedrol (steroid) today. I have been researching her condition and am hoping that by supplementing essential fatty acis, her condition will improve and she won't need the shots. I was wondering if you can just purchase efa's from the drug store, or do they need to be from cat supplements?? I see information about vcaps, derm caps... but they are not available where I live.
Does anyone know the correct dosage to give a cat?
Thanks so much!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
a good salmon oil or fish oil at about 1/2 tea to 1 tsp a day depending on wt

optionken

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Instead of treatiing the symptoms the best way may be to treat the problems. usuallly the allergents are grains in the foods starting with maize (corn) and gluten or it could be all the grains. A grain free canned food may eliminate the problem totally
Steroids are the 2nd biggest cause of diabetes in cats!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by optionken

Instead of treatiing the symptoms the best way may be to treat the problems. usuallly the allergents are grains in the foods starting with maize (corn) and gluten or it could be all the grains. A grain free canned food may eliminate the problem totally
Steroids are the 2nd biggest cause of diabetes in cats!
I do agree with looking into the why... BUT.. corn is actually NOT in the top of cat allergies that is Dogs