TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › I'm concerned about vaccines for little Sunny
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I'm concerned about vaccines for little Sunny

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 
Sunny went to the vet for a re-check and a second worming and the vet gave him shot #2 of his "kitten shots". The vet just gave him the shot and did not tell me what it was. When I asked, I was told that it was shot #2 of 3 of his kitten shots. I don't know what a kitten shot is but I don't like the fact that he was given a shot without my permission and without me having the information to make an informed decision of what my kitten was receiving. We just brought him back from the brink of death (according to the vet) and he is now approx. 4 1/2 mos old and 4.6 lbs. I don't know what a kitten shot is and that concerns me. He got home and slept ALOT. He seems fine today, but still has not gotten his appetite back to normal.

He is supposed to go to the vet in another 3 weeks where she wants to give him a rabies vaccine, shot #3 and a FIV vaccine along with being neutered. I think this is way too trying on him. I have decided that he will NOT receive the rabies vaccine since he is an indoor cat only and I don't want to tax his little system with it. I will not give my kitten anything that is not absolutely necessary for him to live a healthy and happy life.

Other than shot #3 does he need the other vaccines? What are the "kitten shots" that he is receiving? I have decided that he will not see the same vet because of her giving him a shot without my consent on our last visit. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.
post #2 of 13
I'd suggest you find yourself a homeopathic Veterinarian.

In many areas, rabies vaccination is a legislated requirement. You can ask your new Vet just what is required.

You might want to read what one Veterinarian thinks about over-vaccination.

Kudos to you for being aware, asking questions, and not going the "blind trust" route.

I've sent you a PM with a link to a superb primer on vaccines - even if it's written by an allopathic Vet!
post #3 of 13
Unfortunatly, in Tampa, you have to get the rabies vaccine. it is a $100 fine otherwise

http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/an.../#VACCINATIONS
http://www.hillsboroughcounty.org/an...tion/fines.cfm

My vet says for a indoor only cat, she only rec. rabies and FVRCP, not the Feline Leukemia vaccine
post #4 of 13
The "kitten shots" are normally for Rhinotraceitis, Calici Virus and Panleukopenia. There are 3 in that series and they are normally given 2 to 3 weeks apart - if you are getting the rabies vaccine for your kitten, try NOT to schedule it on the same day as his last kitten shots. Instead, give it about another 2 to 3 weeks, THEN give the rabies, if required.

The reason I suggest not giving the rabies and the kitten shot in the same visit is because some kittens don't do well with all of that immunity overload. So, I suggest (to my kitten buyers) that they schedule these shots at least 10 days to 2 weeks apart to avoid adverse vaccine reactions.
post #5 of 13
this is a slight hijack.... but if cat shots can be bad for cats .... imagine what childhood shots can be doing... I'm just sayin....
post #6 of 13
It's also been suggested that a kitten not receive the rabies vaccine until after he is 6 months old. Also, don't give the vaccine in conjunction with any other stress event...such as neutering, etc. It is a tax on their immune system so one at time with intervals in between is best.

The three kitten shots are all the same and are for the protection and long-term health of the kitten. It's unfortunate that the Vet didn't ask your permission, she was doing your kitty a favour. Ideally, a kitten should start those shots at 8 weeks old, and get the next two at 12 weeks and 16 weeks of age. They are the most effective for protecting the kitten at those ages. After 16 weeks of age, the protection diminishes somewhat.

Has the FIV vaccine been proven to work? I'm not sure. There's one of them that has absolutely no effect after the kitten has reached 16 weeks of age...and your's is over that age now.

It's normal for the kitten to be drowsy or sleepy after receiving one of the kitty shots.
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXCAT08 View Post
It's also been suggested that a kitten not receive the rabies vaccine until after he is 6 months old. Also, don't give the vaccine in conjunction with any other stress event...such as neutering, etc. It is a tax on their immune system so one at time with intervals in between is best.

The three kitten shots are all the same and are for the protection and long-term health of the kitten. It's unfortunate that the Vet didn't ask your permission, she was doing your kitty a favour. Ideally, a kitten should start those shots at 8 weeks old, and get the next two at 12 weeks and 16 weeks of age. They are the most effective for protecting the kitten at those ages. After 16 weeks of age, the protection diminishes somewhat.

Has the FIV vaccine been proven to work? I'm not sure. There's one of them that has absolutely no effect after the kitten has reached 16 weeks of age...and your's is over that age now.

It's normal for the kitten to be drowsy or sleepy after receiving one of the kitty shots.
is giving a shot at the time of being spay hard on a cat of any age or just kittens?

I'm asking because when Grace was just spay she was also given her rabies shot she is 3-4 years old.
post #8 of 13
I would NOT give an FIV vax to an indoor only cat. There is absolutely, positively no reason to.
The cat will be indoors and neutered and is zero risk of contracting it unless you have an FIV+ cat in your home.

I specify before any shots are given that my cats are zero risk and I want CORE vax only + rabies where applicable.
post #9 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
I would NOT give an FIV vax to an indoor only cat. There is absolutely, positively no reason to.
The cat will be indoors and neutered and is zero risk of contracting it unless you have an FIV+ cat in your home.

I specify before any shots are given that my cats are zero risk and I want CORE vax only + rabies where applicable.
I have already decided that he will NOT receive the FIV shot as I can't think of any reason he would need to. He also will not have his rabies shot at the same time he is neutered since he is also supposed to get his last kitten shot at the same time. He was so sickly when we found him and finally have him perfectly healthy and happy and I could not stand it if something were to happen to him because I did not know enough to make the correct decisions for him. This site has been extremely helpful to me, as I don't have any experience with an indoor kitten (we take care of a family of ferals).

What is the CORE vax?
post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gayef View Post
The "kitten shots" are normally for Rhinotraceitis, Calici Virus and Panleukopenia. There are 3 in that series and they are normally given 2 to 3 weeks apart - if you are getting the rabies vaccine for your kitten, try NOT to schedule it on the same day as his last kitten shots. Instead, give it about another 2 to 3 weeks, THEN give the rabies, if required.

The reason I suggest not giving the rabies and the kitten shot in the same visit is because some kittens don't do well with all of that immunity overload. So, I suggest (to my kitten buyers) that they schedule these shots at least 10 days to 2 weeks apart to avoid adverse vaccine reactions.
Thank you for the information This information would have been extremely helpful to know before my vet decided to give him a shot without my permission. I like to know what's going on with my kitten. He's like my child and I want him to stay healthy. I like knowing what is going on with his health and knowing what the risks are to his little system. It sounds like waaayyy too much for him to have to go through to get a neutering, rabies shot, shot #3 of kitten shots and FIV shot all at one time. I can't believe some people just believe their vets blindly. I'm not that kind of person and we are changing vets.
post #11 of 13
The core vax are the must have vax : Rhinotraceitis, Calici Virus and Panleukopenia
post #12 of 13
I agree that Kitten's vaccines are good if you just give your cat the basics that your specific cat needs. Sport is strictly an indoor cat. He is getting what Rhode Island requires by law, and the minimal basic 3 series. That is it, but if you have an outdiir cat or a sick cat in the house...maybe you are a foster home for cats...then your situation might be different. Find a vet you can trust and discuss your individual situation with them (and no I'm not a vet...in fact, I am disabled and can not work at all) but that is for another forum all together.

Best of Luck
Peace ,
Rob & Sport
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys View Post
is giving a shot at the time of being spay hard on a cat of any age or just kittens?

I'm asking because when Grace was just spay she was also given her rabies shot she is 3-4 years old.
If Grace already received the shot at the time she was spayed, then she must have tolerated it well. I think the caution is for kittens...their immune systems aren't fully developed and giving them all that they need is a big stress to them. By giving the shots, neutering, deworming, etc spaced out over a course of weeks is easier on their young systems to handle everything and gives their bodies a chance to let the vaccines do their work.

I just read that our city requires all cats, and dogs, to have their rabies vaccines..it's the law. That's too bad, I was really considering not having Samson receive it.....he's a totally indoor cat, as is Phoebe...so he'll have it done after he's 6 months old, and well after he's been neutered.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Health
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Health › I'm concerned about vaccines for little Sunny