Cookies!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm going to bake some cookies!
Who wants some

(probably my version of ranger cookies - with chooclate chips, oats, rice cereal, etc! (i normally add rasins too but i'm all out!))

I've been craving something sweet ALL day!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh my goodness you guys it didn't go so good!
we've had a bit of a cookie catastrophe

i'm not sure what happened- i fixed my recipe like normal only this time i added baking powder 1stp and baking soda 1/4tsp to it
(i've left it out in the past simply because i didn't have any )

I used my tiny ice cream scoop to divy out the right size and spaced the 2" apart. Somehow though they ALL migrated towards each other and now it looks like i've got trays full of 1 giant cookie
I'm not sure what happened?
Never had this occur before

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't get them out of the pan! will a pizza cutter work

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

Pics please
Don't worry, i took pictures Helen
(I'll have to wait for DH to get off work and upload them on his pc though, my computer won't work with our camera)

They are seriosuly flatter than pancakes! I don't know what went wrong- they're majorly stuck to the pan too!!! (and i greased it!
) I've never had this happen

From the bits i was able to scrape off the pan though- they taste insanely good!!!
They definitely don't look like cookies though!

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As long as they taste good who cares what they look like. But post pics anyway so we can all laugh with you

Should have made your rice krispy treats

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

As long as they taste good who cares what they look like. But post pics anyway so we can all laugh with you

Should have made your rice krispy treats
No kidding!!! I even had marshmellows too
I shoulda gone with something safe

I called Colin to tell him what happened and his response was "aww thanks for trying to be wifely"

They do taste really yummy though! I just can't get them out of the pans- they're really really flat and REALLY really stuck!

I don't get it, i can make homemade beignets....but i can't bake cookies?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I havent heard of them either, but do share.
Dont bother taking them out of the pan, just eat it right out of the pan

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm...my mom always said that when cookies did that there was either not enough flour or too much fat (butter, crisco, etc.). Of course I cook at about 7000 feet, so that may be different.

Also, I've never greased a cookie sheet to bake cookies...

I need a ranger cookie recipe. My great grandmother used to make them, and I never asked for the recipe.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

I never heard of these cookies...I need your recipe
I'd send you some Helen, but i can't get them out of the darn pan!
I tried a pizza cutter, a case knife, a warm towel under the pan to loosen them, a spatula- nothing!
I'm going to buy a liner the next time i'm at BB&B!
I don't know what went wrong! I've baked tons of cookies and have never had this happen

This is one of the Better Homes & Garden Recipes for Ranger Cookies- but i tweaked it to make them my way and add a few things, so it's not their exact recipe! (Also you can really add what you want to it - i like chocolate chips, rasins, flaked coconut, crushed almonds, rolled oats, and rice cereal in mine - but you can be as creative as you want. My niece likes it when i put dried cherries in the ones i make for her)

1/2 cup butter (softened)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 egg (I use large brown ones)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (more if the dough gets thin)
2 cups rice krispy cereal
1 cup rolled oats
2 cups chocolate chips (i like a lot in mine!)
1 cup rasins (i was out this time so i didn't use any)
1 1/3 cup flaked coconut (i was out this time so i didn't use any- normally i do though!)

(Instructions from my cook book)

1. In a medium bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Beat until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl occasionally. Beat in egg and vanilla until combined.

2. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Stir in cereal, coconut, rasins, choclate,etc (you can add nuts if you want to! Sometimes i crush almonds and put them in mine when i have them!!)

3. Drop dough by a rounded teaspoon 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375 degree oven about 8 minute or until edges are golden brown.

4. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute. Transfer the cookies to wire rack; cool. Makes about 54 cookies.

- ok just a side note, the instructions call for an ungreased sheet- but i have to grease mine because they're cheap dollar store sheets and they stick aweful. This time i'm not sure what went wrong though as i always grease them (i spray the non stick spray on wax paper and then wipe it on the sheets evenly) I dunno! I think i'm going to buy one of those Silpmats! You might want to line yours with a liner or parchament paper Helen- i should have!

I am STILL scraping the cookies out of the big rectangle pans and one of the round ones.....I did get some of it out of the other round one though- it's now soaking in sudsy water

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

I havent heard of them either, but do share.
Dont bother taking them out of the pan, just eat it right out of the pan
I might have to
It's like they're cemented in there Pam
I got them out of one pan but the other two aren't budging- there are crumbs everywhere now too- i had some fly up and hit me in my eye while i was trying to unstick them

Originally Posted by kluchetta

Hmmm...my mom always said that when cookies did that there was either not enough flour or too much fat (butter, crisco, etc.). Of course I cook at about 7000 feet, so that may be different.

Also, I've never greased a cookie sheet to bake cookies...

I need a ranger cookie recipe. My great grandmother used to make them, and I never asked for the recipe.
I used Country Crock Light for the butter
I've always used it when i bake and never had a problem so far.

Maybe it was the flour? I put the recommended amount it (and it didn't feel runny or anything) but maybe it wasn't enough
Why would they run like that though

(I always grease those cookie sheets, they're the cheap dark ones and everything sticks to them if i don't - i put a little spray on some wax paper and wipe it on-normally it works ok, guess not tonight
) Next time i'll try lining with parchament paper or something

The only thing that i can think of that i changed in this recipe from the way i normally cook it was i added baking soda and baking powder (measured out to the recipe intructions) The last few times i've baked them, i didn't put any in because i was all out. Would that do it?

sandtigress

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The baking soda and powder are things that cause cookies to grow, so yeah, that's probably what made them all run together! I had a friend once add 1 and a 1/4th teaspoons of baking powder, instead of just a 1/4 because of the way that the recipe was written. He had GIANT cookies!

And Silmats are WONDERFUL! I've got one, and its just great. I never grease my pans anymore - things usually just slide right off!

Can't wait to see the pictures!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sandtigress

The baking soda and powder are things that cause cookies to grow, so yeah, that's probably what made them all run together! I had a friend once add 1 and a 1/4th teaspoons of baking powder, instead of just a 1/4 because of the way that the recipe was written. He had GIANT cookies!

And Silmats are WONDERFUL! I've got one, and its just great. I never grease my pans anymore - things usually just slide right off!

Can't wait to see the pictures!
Thanks!!! That solves it then- we know why i had exploding cookies now!
I will NOT be using that stuff again

I'm glad you like the silmats! I definitely want to get one!!!

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm late to this, but two thoughts occur:

If you greased the cookie sheets with the Country Crock, that could have caused the sticking -- I'm amazed you say it works for you even in the recipe, but as a release agent, it's bound to cause trouble.

May I suggest baking parchment? It's so easy! Everything slides right off, and all you have to do to clean your pan is crumple the paper and throw it away. I love the stuff!

And Colin is so sweet, appreciating your "wifely" efforts.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nikki, this is the great depth of my concern about your cookies: I woke up in the middle of the night with this huge revelation about them dawning in my mind, and I actually stumbled out here to post it!
But apparently, I was too asleep to hit the button, because it's not here this morning.

So here's my revelation: Y'know how some cake recipes tell you to grease the bottom of the pans, but not the sides? Well, that's because the batter needs to be able to "climb" the sides of the pan as it rises during baking, and if they're greased, it can't hold on and stays too flat.

Well... I'm thinking maybe on a horizontal plane, the surface-tension issue may work in a very similar way: an ungreased surface may give the edge of the cookie a grip with which to hold its position while its center rises and bakes... but a greased surface allows the edge to keep sliding outward as the rising occurs, so the additional volume goes out instead of up... if you see what I mean. I have a notion to make some cookies and grease part of a sheet just to test my theory!

Ahhh, the scientific process... I love it! Especially when it gives me an excuse for cookies...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

I'm late to this, but two thoughts occur:

If you greased the cookie sheets with the Country Crock, that could have caused the sticking -- I'm amazed you say it works for you even in the recipe, but as a release agent, it's bound to cause trouble.

May I suggest baking parchment? It's so easy! Everything slides right off, and all you have to do to clean your pan is crumple the paper and throw it away. I love the stuff!

And Colin is so sweet, appreciating your "wifely" efforts.
Ohh no no, i didn't grease the pan with country crock light!
I just put it into the recipe instead of regular butter. I greased the pan with Pam for baking!

Nikki, this is the great depth of my concern about your cookies: I woke up in the middle of the night with this huge revelation about them dawning in my mind, and I actually stumbled out here to post it!
But apparently, I was too asleep to hit the button, because it's not here this morning.

So here's my revelation: Y'know how some cake recipes tell you to grease the bottom of the pans, but not the sides? Well, that's because the batter needs to be able to "climb" the sides of the pan as it rises during baking, and if they're greased, it can't hold on and stays too flat.

Well... I'm thinking maybe on a horizontal plane, the surface-tension issue may work in a very similar way: an ungreased surface may give the edge of the cookie a grip with which to hold its position while its center rises and bakes... but a greased surface allows the edge to keep sliding outward as the rising occurs, so the additional volume goes out instead of up... if you see what I mean. I have a notion to make some cookies and grease part of a sheet just to test my theory!

Ahhh, the scientific process... I love it! Especially when it gives me an excuse for cookies...
Now i never thought of not greasing the sides! That's a good point!!!

I still need to get Colin to upload the pictures so i can post them
We got busy yesterday with our birthdays!

I got at least 3-4 good pictures of my cookie fiasco!
When he gets a little time i'll ask him to upload them so i can post them
They actually still taste soooo yummy though!!! I've made that recipe before- sans baking powder and baking soda and it turned out well, so next time i'll just leave it out those two ingredients!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

But but but without baking powder or baking soda, how did the cookies rise? Did you use self-rising flour?

And is it possible your baking powder is too old? It can stop working if it's out of date...

And hey, here's some insight -- I didn't know this:

http://chemistry.about.com/cs/foodch...f/blbaking.htm

I still haven't made any cookies -- but I've got the fever!
I use self-rising flour

(I just bought the baking powder and baking soda last week at the grocery store so it was brand new.)

Haha Carol what kind of cookies are you going to make???

That website is interesting!!! I never knew the difference really between the two before now!

I'll have to get Colin to post my pictures when he gets some time