How do I...

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How do I stop blaming people for my problems and issues. I was walking though Best Buy today which was really a stupid thing to do. About 8 months ago something happened at a Best Buy that changed my life for ever. I can't really go into details but...it was a negative thing and I still have a lot of anger about it. The funny thing is its all my fault but I'm not the one I'm angry at. I'm angry and my father for making me go to Best Buy that day and I am angry at the Geek Squad guys that made this happen. Anyway back to today, I'm walking though Best Buy(a different one then the one it happened in) and I pass the Geek Squad section on the way to the check out and it took all my willpower not to jump over the desk and start swinging at them. There not even the same people that messed things up for me but that didn't matter. Thankfully the lines were short today and I was able to check out and get out of there before I totally lost my cool. I got back to my car and I was actually shaking with anger.

As I was driving home I was thinking about it and the only person I should be mad at is myself. What happened was all my fault but it doesn't stop me from being angry at the other people. How do I stop being angry at them?

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
In all honesty from what you describe? Therapy. If you're so angry at people who have never harmed you, so much so to the point of wanting to do them physical harm, then that is beyond the boundaries of what is normal. By your first sentence, it sounds like this is an ongoing issue for you. You need to take responsibility for your own life and your own problems. That's the only way to really mature.

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being angry is not worth the energy it puts out. Learn to redirect your anger into something positive. Life and certain situations can make you mad. You have to learn how to blow it off, it isn't worth the aggrevation.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO, you really do need some professional help. Certain mental illnesses manifest themselves at about what I think is your age from other posts. Please seek some advice. You are at a university so there are lots of low cost or free services.
Please PM me any time you need to talk.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

IMO, you really do need some professional help. Certain mental illnesses manifest themselves at about what I think is your age from other posts. Please seek some advice. You are at a university so there are lots of low cost or free services.
Please PM me any time you need to talk.
i agree... sounds very, very scary to me. both of my brothers suffer from some emotional problems that are helped w/medication. now, that would necessitate visiting a doctor, of course - but that shouldn't be a major stopping point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

In all honesty from what you describe? Therapy. If you're so angry at people who have never harmed you, so much so to the point of wanting to do them physical harm, then that is beyond the boundaries of what is normal. By your first sentence, it sounds like this is an ongoing issue for you. You need to take responsibility for your own life and your own problems. That's the only way to really mature.
But the people at a Best Buy did hurt me very much...its just they couldn't have if I wouldn't have let them kind of thing. Things got and are still very messed up because of them. Seeing all those geek squad shirts today just brought to the surface everything I've kept on the back burner for the last 8 months. Honestly I shouldn't have gone in there because the issue is still being resolved and I don't know whats going on with it and seeing how its still going on it would have just been best to avoid the store but...I wanted some dvd's.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, I'm going to ask the question I'm sure other people have wondered. What could the "Geek Squad" have done to you that changed your life forever? I mean, if you were assulted by them, you would have a reason to be upset at those people specifically, but if they just destroyed your computer or ripped you off, I don't understand how that could be a life changing experience. Without having insite on what exactly set you off, I really can't say whether you are right or wrong. I agree with what everyone else said though. I do think you need to talk to someone if anger is this much of an issue for you.

And, if you wanted DVD's, couldn't you have gone somewhere else?

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was in the area though getting books and some other stuff for my up coming trip. And I can't really go into detail about what happened I just want to stop getting mad at others for things I screwed up. As much as I hate to admit it I blame the geek squad guys and my dad more than I blame my self for what happened and they really had limited roles.

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What I meant was that the people you say you were tempted to "start swinging" at weren't the actual people who you say hurt you. The people you saw today had nothing to do with what happened before.

Regardless, the level of anger you're describing is not healthy. Again, I think that therapy would be helpful

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I go twice a month and my shrink knows the story behind this and would probably be disappointed that I went there. With me its best for me to avoid things rather than chance them affecting me negatively.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Avoiding places and things that bring to mind things that piss you off is a good idea, but its only an interim solution. I'm glad you are already seeing a shrink, this could be a really deep-rooted issue that none of us non-professionals can help you with.

Meanwhile, I hope you continue to think in a rationale manner whenever you get the urge to hurt someone. You'll probably be embroiled in messy lawsuits if you give yourself in to your urge to "start swinging". Think of the consequences before you let your anger get the better of you.

Admitting that you have a problem and seeking help for it is a great first step already. Good luck!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
you need to do more than just seeing a shrink, if he doesn't give you other things to do then IMO you should be finding another one.
Seeing one person doesn't help, you need to take part in several things to make it better.
Considering you are studying psychology you should know this.