Mix breed ?

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have had my cat for a while now but I've never really pondered the question of what type she is, my parents think that she is a calico but she isn't colored enough to be one but I've think that I've found what she is mixed with. She has the body and face of a maine coon but the orange patches of a turkish van, which is really weird considering that I bought her from some random farmer. Her tail is also very long and slender and she is short haired, and she always keeps her tail curled and the tip. Tell me what you think base on the pictures.

Sorry for the blur, but my camera was acting stupid.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is a Domestic Shorthair, a.k.a mixed breed.
She is a very pretty girl! Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think she is a patched tabby and not a Calico?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely just a DSH (domestic shorthair). I thought Calico's are allowed tabby markings and it just defines the colouring?

The orange on her face with darker markings is definitely more calico than Van

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Calico is a color pattern, not a breed. You are confusing the two.

Her breed is Domestic Short Hair, for sure.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_shorthaired_cat
http://www.catster.com/breeds/domestic_shorthair

As for coloring....I would say calico.

Calicos are mostly white with patches of red (orange) and black. When there is not much white and the cat is mostly red/black, they are a tortoiseshell with white or just plain tortoiseshell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calico_Cat

She is a pretty girl!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

She is a very pretty girl! Also, someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think she is a patched tabby and not a Calico?
hehe let me get a picture of her tail, it is so cool looking.

sakura

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bnwalker2

I *think* that a calico with tabby markings is a caliby? I don't know if that's the 'official' name for it, but I thought that tortoiseshell+tabby= torbie and calico+tabby=caliby.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

I *think* that a calico with tabby markings is a caliby? I don't know if that's the 'official' name for it, but I thought that tortoiseshell+tabby= torbie and calico+tabby=caliby.
see the other two calico that I have are almost completely black/orange with little to no white and cleo is very white.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A calico is a white cat with patches of black and red.

A Patched Tabby or Torbie is a brown/blue/silver tabby with patches of red.

From the pictures she looks like a calico but could be a brown patched tabby if the markings are brown tabby and not black - hard to tell from what you've posted.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by breakyourface

see the other two calico that I have are almost completely black/orange with little to no white and cleo is very white.
Then the other 2 "calicos" you have are actually Tortoiseshell.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sakura

i've never heard 'caliby'... i have heard tabbico, tho [same combo].
since tabby stripes are present in the darker as well as the lighter fur, i'd go w/one of those, tho, assuming the red is actually red.
calicos often have tabby on the red portions, but not on the black - look at Java.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think she is very very pretty, but her face does not resemble a Maine Coon at all in my opinion.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I looked at the pics again. The darker patches do look more like a very dark brown-black tabby (what I call "cold" brown tabby). So she would be a Brown Patched Tabby and White.

While she has the normal markings of a calico, I wouldn't call her that because a calico is a white cat with patches of red and black (or cream and blue if dilute calico).