People with more computer knowledge than me....lol....

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know in your computer how you can go into control panel and delete previously viewed history? Does anyone know if it's possible to set up the computer so only the administrator can be the only one to delete it?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are there not options for the user accounts as to how limited you can make them that would cover that? You should be able to make it where the user can't delete anything.
And if you can't figure that out or want to recover what has already been "deleted" use Explorer's search and look for "index.dat" files and download Super winspy to read them.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A quick search turned up

Conputer Configuation > Administrative Templates > Windows Compnents > Internet Explorer > Turn off "Delete Browser History" Funtionallity
or

The key is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\\Software\\Policies\\Microsoft\\Internet Explorer\\Control Panel
Set a DWORD value named DisableDeleteBrowsingHistory to 1 in that.
You can also set that under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE to disable it for all users.

fivesenough

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you really want to know what is going on with the PC, install a keylogger. They are relatively cheap, and if someone on the computer is doing questionable things or going to questionable sites, you'll know at the end of the day!

Try Googling keyloggers, see which one is right for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried getting keylogger. They took my money and then didn't give me the code to turn it automatically on when the computer is turned on. So I have to manually go in each day and activate it if I want it (which was free). I have emailed them countless times with no response. I gave up. And I am really dense, or really tired, because I can't figure out what you all mean by those things you typed up there...I'll try and figure it out tomorrow after sleep. Thanks for the help though!

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think one thing I do get out of it is that I can set it up to be the only one with that ability, except for the fact that everyone here uses my account, we don't have our own, and it's easier in the aspect that we don't have to keep switching. What I guess I need is to know if I can put it in so it needs a password to delete anything? So my account can still be used, just not have anything deleted without a password?

coaster

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give yourself two accounts? One with Admin priveleges and requiring a password, and another user account without password? I don't think you can do it with one account; though there might be some third-party software out there that does that.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't let everyone run as admin, you shouldn't even be running as admin. Make yourself a power user account, make everyone else a limited user account. Save the admin account for changing things that would cause major changes on your system. So what if it's more passwords and people have to log in? You save yourself from some possible future problems that way.

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by coaster

Can you give yourself two accounts? One with Admin priveleges and requiring a password, and another user account without password? I don't think you can do it with one account; though there might be some third-party software out there that does that.
That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll try that. I just don't want to alert (or confuse) anyone by suddenly changing the computer log in process.

saundby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by menagerie mama

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that. I think I'll try that. I just don't want to alert (or confuse) anyone by suddenly changing the computer log in process.
Create a new user, give that account admin ability. Then take admin away from your current account. In my case, I usually create two admin accounts under Windows with different passwords in case I forget one. Then I only use those accounts for software installs or maintenance.