I need to work on my demistic skills

algebrapro18

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yesterday I was cooking dinner and that lead me to discover the smoke detector in my bedroom(3 feet from the stove) doesn't work. I was making brats that had been smashed into patties and had the stove on way to hot and that created a lot of smoke from the grease. I think it also ended up warping the skillet I was using. The smoke was so thick at one point in time that I looked over at Tom and could barely see him(about 7-8 feet from me on the couch) but I did see he had his eyes shut because of the smoke. Amazingly enough I didn't burn any of the patties they just smoked a lot while cooking. It took about 30-40 minutes for the smoke to disipate but eventually it cleared out.

And then this morning after using the rest room I go to wash my hands and finally use some of the soap my dad bought me about a year and a half ago(when I first moved into this place) and come to find that the squirter(its liquid soap) won't squirt. So how do I think to fix it, I take the pan from last night and start hitting the top of the soap bottle and it still wouldn't compress...I don't know how to fix the soap but I think that was a very interesting solution...lol.

Anyway just thought I would share. Oh and don't worry Tom got me back for the smoke, he decided that 6:00 was a great time to start trying to play with the cords that go to my radio and my alarm clock. I woke up to loud crashing noises as he pulled both off of the dresser. He then decided that it was a good time to start playing with me and he started to bite and kick my arm as I tried to pick up the radio and alarm clock. Needless to say I've been up since 6...

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww... I've sent Wickett hiding under the bed from setting off the smoke detector... sometimes some things just smoke as they cook... particularly high fat foods over very high heat. We now take the smoke alarms down when we're cooking something we know will smoke. As for the soap thingy, it's probably got dried up soap stuck in it... just soak it in super hot water and try to pump it again.

LOL @ Tom... paybacks are a

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by algebrapro18

So how do I think to fix it, I take the pan from last night and start hitting the top of the soap bottle and it still wouldn't compress...I don't know how to fix the soap but I think that was a very interesting solution...lol.
You usually have to twist the top around until it springs up before you can start to use it.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
been there, done that... I have a magnet a friend made for me... I'll tell what it says in a bit. Here's a few tips for you:

1. I never use high heat on the stovetop anymore. Seriously. Medium will do JUST fine... you just have to be patient. And it will probably take less time than on high heat, as when you're using HH, you are essentially searing the outside and the inside can still be very raw... Medium heat... and actually I'd suggest with Brats, cook them quick (still on Medium, to get that pretty browned effect, then shove 'em into the preheated oven for a while... don't know how long, but that has nice ambient heat for cooking through)

2. Don't buy cheap nasty 'dollar store' frying pans. I've done that... the 'teflon' coating flakes easily, and God only knows how much of that is leeching into your food. Spend at least 15-20 on a good pan. It'll last you a LOT longer (especially if you treat it right).

3. use the fan above your stove. If I'm using anything that'll smoke, I turn the fan on low and let it suck up much of the smoke... and if the smoke alarm STILL goes off (done that too), then open up the windows, and wave a towel at the alarm... don't HIT it, just wave at it with the towel... that helps clear the smoke from around the alarm.

4. If you have any freestanding fans, keep one nearby... with an open window... next time you're going to do this.

Soap dispenser: If you haven't used that dispenser yet, Susan has it right... you have to 'unlock' it, by twisting it (not forcefully) until it pops up... THEN it can be used.

My dear, you really have to stop hitting things... they can break, and then you have to replace them... and you'll be back in the same situation... hitting something is not always the answer... in fact, I've rarely found it to be the answer. If i get frustrated with something, I walk away from it. I'll go occupy my mind with something else for a bit, then go back.

And now for the humor:

My magnet, which my friend cross stitched for me, says this:

Dinner will be ready when the smoke alarm goes off.

For some good tips online on cooking, try www.allrecipes.com

And there's a phenomenal book out there for guys like you. I got one for my brother, not to mention one for myself, as it has some excellent beginner suggestions. It's called 'Help! My Apartment Has A Kitchen.' Great book. It has a simple recipe for baking a whole chicken... which is healthier for you than take out and a lot of other cr*p many of us tend to eat. I highly recommend this book for you.

You may not have been exactly looking for advice, but there are many experienced cooks here... and some of us have done similar things...

Amanda

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, change the battery in your smoke detector! Your life (and Tom's) could depend on it. (ok...public service announcement over
)

Second, some foods smoke for no reason. I always use the hood exhaust when I cook. If you don't have one, make sure you have a window open and try to fan any smoke in that direction. I normally don't have a problem until I cook a frozen pizza. This one brand will set off ALL smoke detectors in the house (they are all tied in together, so if one goes off they ALL go off!).

Also, high heat isn't good for anything unless you're boiling water. Medium to low is best for any meat...it cooks slower and keeps the natural juices in. I used to cook steaks on high, and they were done in no time, but they were basically beef jerky at that point. Sausage definitely needs lower heat because the grease can smoke bad.

Don't feel bad, cooking is a learning experience and we've all been through it.

mom of 4

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, everyone needs to check their smoke detector for its expiration date. Look in the battery compartment and the expiration date should be there. They are only good for 8 - 10 years.

I had no idea until ours kept going off, shutting down, then going off a few weeks later. then I read the expiration date...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is it about high heat and guys? My husband tries to cook everything on high.

Get yourself a decent skillet. A cast iron one.
You can also bake in them, and as long as you take care of it - wash it properly and reseason it after washing, they last practically forever.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of 4

Actually, everyone needs to check their smoke detector for its expiration date. Look in the battery compartment and the expiration date should be there. They are only good for 8 - 10 years.

I had no idea until ours kept going off, shutting down, then going off a few weeks later. then I read the expiration date...
Yes, it is important to do that!

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169255

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Since you are in Wisconsin brats also come in patties like hamburger in most grocery stores-brands names too like Johnsonville!! Or slice them in half before cooking (add a little oil/butter to pan first).
This morning I was making raspberry jam and set my hot water canner on the stove to heat and could see smoke. I must have had something on the pan under the burner and it caught on fire!! Poured a bit of water from the side and that took care of it but my smoke detectors didn't go off either. My sis just mentioned something about them to me yesterday-something about looking for specific verbage on the detector pkg.
Anyhow is your landlord responsible for the batteries or are you??