Is this cause for concern?

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The babies will be three weeks old tomorrow and I have not seen any waste anywhere. I know they must be going but I don't see anything.
My daughter said she saw a few drops of urine but I have seen nothing. I wash their bedding a lot and change it out in order to check but nothing.
When should I put the pan out for them?
They are crawling around. Doing that hunched crawl and not as upright yet except for a few of them.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not a very pleasant thought, but mum stimulates them to go and er... cleans it up for them! Make sure you have a low sided litter tray with non clumping litter within easy reach so they will learn to use it by copying her - as they are crawling now is a good time to start, if they can see what mum does and follow her lead it should go smoothly

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, sounds like you have a very good mom cat who is cleaning her babies very well. Kittens usually start taking an interest in the box about 3-1/2 to 4 weeks, so a box as described above is perfect for them.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel better about it. I had read that but I thought I would surely see something. I wonder if she is so fastidious because she was a stray for so long. Maybe she had to be this thorough to save her kittens' lives.

I changed her litter to litter suitable for kittens too and I will put a small pan out for the babies and see what happens.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melissa4321

Kittens are not supposed to use clumping litter, right?

If so, why not?
In case they eat it - when weaning, kittens will put a lot of things in their mouth, while they are going through the process of learning what is food and what isn't food - if they swallow clumping litter it can clump inside them and cause intestinal blockages.

Best to use something natural that isn't going to do them any damage if they do decide to try it for lunch

melissa4321

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oook, that makes sense. Thank you!

Should mamma kitty also switch no non-clumping litter while kittens are weaning?

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Melissa4321

oook, that makes sense. Thank you!

Should mamma kitty also switch no non-clumping litter while kittens are weaning?
Yes - because she is the one who will teach the kittens to use it
Use a low sided tray so that they can get in and out easily, and have it in the same room but at a hygenic distance from the mum's nest/bed - they should soon start copying what she does when they are old enough to follow her across the room