May I please tell you about Persi?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About three months ago I started a thread WILL PERSI GO TO JAIL? and since it had over a thousand views, I will not repeat its content here.

Persi DID go to jail and the city of Dallas has him on record as being a vicious animal. If there is ever one complaint about him, he will be "disposed of" as the city calls it. In fact, they told DW when she went to pick him up that they advised we "dispose" of him. After his jail term, I was unable to go pick him up because I was in the Intensive Care Unit with double infectous pnemonia, something they told my wife I would not likely survive. And you know what's coming, Persi got the blame.

Well, I did not "dispose" of Persi, he is on my lap right now. He is my constant companion, my buddy, my friend, my comrade, my pal. When I am on the second floor of our three story townhome and take the elevator, he sees which direction I am going and races there to meet me!
What a guy!

Before Persi (short for Persian), I had 8 cats, all female and all from rescue centers. Persi was the first registered cat and first male. And Persi was the first cat I ever fell in love with. Not exactly the human kind of love I have for DW, but deep rooted love nonetheless. We are bonded like glue.

This was not the case before the infamous attack on me that I was solely responsible for. He was just another cat, number nine. But now everything is different. We are together 24 hours a day and yes, he likes to ride in my Porsche.

OK, now to the questions. I cannot help but feel that somehow Persi has some kind of understanding that he put me into the hospital (even though it was my fault), and that it nearly killed me. I feel this very strongly because of the way he is with me now. (He is looking at me right now with his beautiful blue eyes.)

Can you remember when you were a teenager and first felt love? I have the same feelings now towards a cat that almost killed me! "Disposing" Persi was never a consideration, far from it, but I had no idea of what the ensuing venture would be.

Perhaps I have went crazy. But I firmly believe that Persi is very sorry for attacking me and somehow knows what I went through as a result. Persi is truly my second best friend in the world.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats know a lot more than we give them credit for, Lee, so I'm not about to discount the possibility that he knows all of that.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww!

You both went through a great deal, and it's aparent that while you weren't bonded with him, he was bonded with you, and now that you are both reunited, you see things differently and life is as it should be between the 2 of you

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
They know a lot more that we can fathom. Persi values you as much as you value him.

mer636

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
aww
i'm sure he knows what he's done and is trying to show you everyday how sorry he is

monaxlisa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Animals are very intuitive. Wether it be dogs or cats, they can pick up on your feelings. You know how they say plants can react when their owners take off or land in a plane? Well cats are much more alert then plants so Im sure he was getting "vibes" of what was going on while you were in the hospital.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe he knows that it was suggested he be destroyed and he's grateful you didn't do it. I thinks it's sick that it was even brought up to your wife.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You know that saying: "You dont know what you got 'til it's gone"

I think when Persi was locked up and then you were in the hospital, everyone got a greater appreciation of each other.

That, and Persi is VERY VERY grateful he was sprung from the Big House! I'm sure life in the clinker wasnt easy for him

AND

I'm not totally sure I buy this business of you not being bonded with him before the bite
I've seen pictures! I've been to Persi's site with picture updates in chronological order. I've seen his "grooming station", and I know who his groomer is...
I do believe that your bond was sealed more after the alleged attack though

You rock Lee - you're a survivor in every way! Thanks for sharing the story with us.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Marianjela

You know that saying: "You dont know what you got 'til it's gone"

I think when Persi was locked up and then you were in the hospital, everyone got a greater appreciation of each other.

That, and Persi is VERY VERY grateful he was sprung from the Big House! I'm sure life in the clinker wasnt easy for him

AND

I'm not totally sure I buy this business of you not being bonded with him before the bite
I've seen pictures! I've been to Persi's site with picture updates in chronological order. I've seen his "grooming station", and I know who his groomer is...
I do believe that your bond was sealed more after the alleged attack though

You rock Lee - you're a survivor in every way! Thanks for sharing the story with us.
Yes, of course you are correct. Persi and I were buddies before but not like now. I am a member of a UU church and I have mentioned that DW's and my wedding song was IMAGINE. Unfortunataly some ahole blasted Lennon's brains out. But my point is that we are not superstisous (I know that is spelled wrong but you know what I mean) people yet I cannot help but thinking Persi "knows".

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've just been thinking here...trying hard not to anthropomorphize...but you know when you're handling a cat and you cross some invisible barrier resulting in a whack with no claws or a bite with no teeth, and you know the look that accompanies that...it says to me "HEY! I love you and I don't want to hurt you, but CUT THAT OUT...Got it?"

Well, if that's possible, then it's also possible that Persi knew the instant it happened that he had lost control and gone too far and you were hurt as a result. How much detail he would retain from that is anybody's guess, but not only were you hurt, but then you and he were separated for a chunk of time. Did he make a connection? Who knows. But that he's relieved to be back together is evident.

Hey, it's all speculation, but I'm betting on him knowing more than most humans would give him credit for.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I've just been thinking here...trying hard not to anthropomorphize...but you know when you're handling a cat and you cross some invisible barrier resulting in a whack with no claws or a bite with no teeth, and you know the look that accompanies that...it says to me "HEY! I love you and I don't want to hurt you, but CUT THAT OUT...Got it?"

Well, if that's possible, then it's also possible that Persi knew the instant it happened that he had lost control and gone too far and you were hurt as a result. How much detail he would retain from that is anybody's guess, but not only were you hurt, but then you and he were separated for a chunk of time. Did he make a connection? Who knows. But that he's relieved to be back together is evident.

Hey, it's all speculation, but I'm betting on him knowing more than most humans would give him credit for.
I very much agree with you. It sounds so stupid, but when Persi is gazing into my eyes now, I get the mesage "I am sorry dad, I will never hurt you again" .

This may be all BS, but I have entered into a relationship with my cat that few people will ever experience.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

I very much agree with you. It sounds so stupid, but when Persi is gazing into my eyes now, I get the mesage "I am sorry dad, I will never hurt you again" .

This may be all BS, but I have entered into a relationship with my cat that few people will ever experience.
I don't think it's BS - not at all!

I once had a cat who just loved to sleep on my feet at night. There was an incident where I had sprained my foot badly, and the night it happened and I went to bed, I was thinking, "Oh no! BuffPuff's gonna jump on the bed, and lay on my feet like he always does!And it hurts!" Well, he jumped up onto the bed, but did NOT lay on my feet!
He somehow knew that I had injured my foot, and did not lay on it again until after the foot had healed and I could stand to have pressure on it. It didn't surprise me much that BuffPuff knew I was hurting, but how did he know not to lay on the injured part of my body?!

Cats are very perceptive. Persi knew that he had hurt you, and feels badly about it. I think that you now have a special bond with him, that few people will ever experience.

Tiff

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Yes, it is speculation but I can tell that you down deep believe what I believe, that Persi "knows". And I am feeling guilty right now talking about Persi because Alley is in my lap. At 1 am in the morning! But I am very intrigued with this whole idea and will try to google some research answers about cats "knowing" things. I only use quotes because there are many that would consider me insane for even thinking such a thing.

You can go through hundreds of posts that people talk about how their cats act differently when they are ill or there is a crisis in the family. You can call me crazy all day but I will always maintain that cats indeed do "know" about these things. And I know that Persi knows he hurt me badly. But I also know that he knows that I have forgiven him and love him more than any animal in my history.

Gee, nobody asked me who my number one best friend in the world was! I did mention that Persi was my second best friend in the world. OK, I will give a clue: you have never seen me up posting at 1 in the morning before. Do you need another clue?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Umm...seems to me your number one best friend is away at the moment, else you'd be beside her.

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure that if Persi had a lesser person as an owner, he would definitely be "disposed of" in a heartbeat. He's a very lucky kitty to have such a loving, understanding owner. Its so sweet to hear how much you two have bonded with each other

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lee, as soon as you both look into each others eyes, Persi will know what a loving bond he has in you

Rosie has her tortitude moments with me, but the minute she gives me that slow loving blink, i know she didn't mean it

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

But I am very intrigued with this whole idea and will try to google some research answers about cats "knowing" things. I only use quotes because there are many that would consider me insane for even thinking such a thing.

You can go through hundreds of posts that people talk about how their cats act differently when they are ill or there is a crisis in the family. You can call me crazy all day but I will always maintain that cats indeed do "know" about these things. And I know that Persi knows he hurt me badly. But I also know that he knows that I have forgiven him and love him more than any animal in my history.
Have you read this book, Lee? Dogs That Know When Their Owners Are Coming Home: And Other Unexplained Powers of Animals? I don't quite buy Sheldrake's theory of "morphic resonance", but it's an interesting read, and I believe many of us have had "telepathic" experiences with pets.

luvmyfurbabys

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm going to try to put this in words and see if it makes sense. Some cats are almost human like in what you know , that they seem to understand . Some cats are just cats and happy to be so.

I am UU also and lean to the magickal side of things.... I know my Bellah was more human like than cat . When my son collapsed and almost died 4 years ago Bellah never left his side for 6 months and she had never spent a night in his room before.

2 years ago I went through a very difficult pregnancy... she never left me.

every night before bed she went around to each child checking on them.

Right before she died she spent more time than usual with me.... and even hung out with the kids the night before she died.

Some cats have an old soul , wise and loving .... some cats are basic cats still loving but on a different level.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
..."Not exactly the human kind of love I have for DW, but deep rooted love nonetheless..." leads me to believe that DW is your bestest friend!

Along the lines of cats "knowing," I came home from work one day, and my roommate, who was home sick, said, "it was the weirdest thing...at exactly 5 o'clock Deagan ran up the stairs and jumped on the chest so she could look out the window. And you got home at 5:15...it was like she could tell time."

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Along the lines of cats "knowing," I came home from work one day, and my roommate, who was home sick, said, "it was the weirdest thing...at exactly 5 o'clock Deagan ran up the stairs and jumped on the chest so she could look out the window. And you got home at 5:15...it was like she could tell time."
there are always cats waiting for me in the window when i drive up. since i live alone, i have no idea when they decide to get up there... & i've not yet decided whether they 'know' i'm coming home, or they've heard the garage door go up [or the car] & know what that means...