Pics of Niles and Minnosh

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I mentioned that I had photos taken of Niles and Minnosh a few weeks ago. I got my proofs in the mail today and here are my very favorites, hot off the press!

CH Minnosh of Mimesis

Minnosh wants the birdie

Look at my tail!

That tail again

GC Ajatarah Niles

Ready for take off!

Niles spots something

I'd be curious to hear which ones you guys prefer

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the 2nd picture of each cat.

The 2nd of Minnosh is absolutely gorgeous, a great view of her tail as it is held slightly off the ground you get the full volume of fur there, her whiskers are visible (maybe I like that one because I have a preference for photos that really show the whiskers?) and held forward matching her alert expression. I also really like photos where the head is tilted at that angle, it is just my personal preference, but it's a pose I find very attractive.

The 2nd of Niles, because although the first is a nice enough pose, it seems to have a little bit of light reflection from the paler hair on his chest, it bleaches the photo just slightly - I have the exact same problems wth photos of my blue and lilac OSHs, if the direction of light isn't absolutely perfect their coat reflects it. The lighting in #2 is better IMO, you can see the paler colour and there's no ethereal glow
It could of course be that my monitor doesn't display it correctly! I also prefer the facial expression in #2 though, and I prefer a full body photo to just the head. #1 is maybe looking too straight-on in relation to the camera lens and also to a point slightly above it, that is just my taste though as I think it gives a slightly 'manic' look, I prefer if their gaze is directed at a point a bit further to either side which gives an alert but slightly less intense facial expression.

ETA: I am in love with Minnosh she has the most beautiful distribution of red and black in her coat - very pretty colouring

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like the 2nd & 3rd for the girl, and the laying down one (2nd) for Niles. pretty much for the same reasons that Epona has. Full body shots IMO are the best

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
good gracious Minnosh is just gorgeous
and Niles is quite handsome
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not in Breeder's corner very often, what breed of cats are they?

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are both gorgeous

I like the 3rd for Minnosh and 2nd for Niles.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I like the 2nd picture of each cat.

The 2nd of Minnosh is absolutely gorgeous, a great view of her tail as it is held slightly off the ground you get the full volume of fur there, her whiskers are visible (maybe I like that one because I have a preference for photos that really show the whiskers?) and held forward matching her alert expression. I also really like photos where the head is tilted at that angle, it is just my personal preference, but it's a pose I find very attractive.

The 2nd of Niles, because although the first is a nice enough pose, it seems to have a little bit of light reflection from the paler hair on his chest, it bleaches the photo just slightly - I have the exact same problems wth photos of my blue and lilac OSHs, if the direction of light isn't absolutely perfect their coat reflects it. The lighting in #2 is better IMO, you can see the paler colour and there's no ethereal glow
It could of course be that my monitor doesn't display it correctly! I also prefer the facial expression in #2 though, and I prefer a full body photo to just the head. #1 is maybe looking too straight-on in relation to the camera lens and also to a point slightly above it, that is just my taste though as I think it gives a slightly 'manic' look, I prefer if their gaze is directed at a point a bit further to either side which gives an alert but slightly less intense facial expression.

ETA: I am in love with Minnosh she has the most beautiful distribution of red and black in her coat - very pretty colouring
Thanks for such a candid assessment of the photos! I wonder if there is any way to avoid the reflection problem with light coats in the future. . . the photographer was practically working out of a closet, so I wonder if the cramped quarters had something to do with the uneven light distribution.

I love the second picture of Minnosh too (so much emotion), but tragically it highlights her weakest point!! Technically speaking, she's just on the cusp of being overmarked. It makes her simply dazzling, but depending on the angle, it can also make her look a bit like a bi-color. I'm torn between that one and the third one. . .
Minnosh has a lot of depth to her red too; you can hardly see tabby markings in it at all. In a breed where RED is THE color, I'm excited to see if she passes it on to her kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ferriscat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katiemae1277

good gracious Minnosh is just gorgeous
and Niles is quite handsome
Pardon my ignorance, but I'm not in Breeder's corner very often, what breed of cats are they?
Minnosh is a tortie and white Turkish Van and Niles is a silver Egyptian Mau

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by FerrisCat

Thanks for such a candid assessment of the photos! I wonder if there is any way to avoid the reflection problem with light coats in the future. . . the photographer was practically working out of a closet, so I wonder if the cramped quarters had something to do with the uneven light distribution.

I love the second picture of Minnosh too (so much emotion), but tragically it highlights her weakest point!! Technically speaking, she's just on the cusp of being overmarked. It makes her simply dazzling, but depending on the angle, it can also make her look a bit like a bi-color. I'm torn between that one and the third one. . .
Minnosh has a lot of depth to her red too; you can hardly see tabby markings in it at all. In a breed where RED is THE color, I'm excited to see if she passes it on to her kittens.
Well #3 of Minnosh is also a good pose if you are worried about showing off those slightly imperfect (yet quite adorable!) back spots. The red in her coat is really quite lovely, very rich and even.

About the light reflection - my blue boy Sonic is an absolute nightmare to photograph and get good reproduction of his colour. He's a deep gunmetal grey with a really lovely blue sheen but my photos show anything from silver-grey to dull brown depending on the light, and I've got a few where he's managed to completely over-expose the shot by reflecting the light! I find natural light works best for him, any intense light source from 1 close by location such as a flash or directional studio lighting are just asking for trouble!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Longhair cats are better with hiding those red tabby markings then shorthairs are. But she is very clear
And I guess the opposite is true - its a little harder to see a clear pattern of stripes when its supposed to be there on a longhair cat.....lol

As far as the light on the silver, that is pretty tough to adjust. Sometimes the light shade needs to be at a different angle. Am wondering if a green background would have been better so its not as much contrast (black/white) - it might soften the look. I've seen a lot of Silver American SH with a green background rather then the black background and it brings out the silver better.

The breeder I'll be getting Jack from did mention how hard it is to get the silvers with the right color in a photo - the chocolate silver and cinnamon silvers are better looking in person then in most pictures.