Sneezing, Coughing cat

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I just moved about 224 miles north from where i live and I'm in a whole new area and recently my cat has been going into random coughing/sneezing fits and this has been going on for about a week.

She does like to go out side and kill things but abnormally more than most cats and I think something could be lodged somewhere. When it first started she was lethargic and stayed up on a high shelf for about three days until I moved her by some food and water. She ate and drank and about 5 minutes later she puked everything up, I looked at it to see if there was an animal bone etc in there but there wasn't, she then ate and drank and we put her with me in my room for some days thinking that it was something in our basement that was bothering her.

She perked up and eventually i let her outside and today I herd her crying out side (long, low deep meows) and I found her and put her inside and she started coughing and sneezing again. She won't drink or eat anything and she's sleeping next to me right now as we speak.

So please help me, with some kind of diagnoses. I asked my dad to take her to the vet but he isn't to sympathetic towards animals, so if I could get a diagnoses maybe that would convince him to take her to the vet.

spookzilla

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She needs to see a vet. She could be getting into something poisonous outside--you said you let her out again when she perked up and she started coughing and sneezing again. If I were you I would NOT let her outside again and get her to a vet asap.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by spookzilla

She needs to see a vet. She could be getting into something poisonous outside--you said you let her out again when she perked up and she started coughing and sneezing again. If I were you I would NOT let her outside again and get her to a vet asap.
thank you for the advice, she is eating right now by the way.

EDIT I just went to pick her up and i grabbed where i usually do (just behind the front shoulders on her belly) and she let out a little high pitched meow

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope that you are able to convince your Dad to take her to the vet, to rule out anything serious.
Keep us updated please.

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

I hope that you are able to convince your Dad to take her to the vet, to rule out anything serious.
Keep us updated please.
I am going to ask him again and if he says no I'll just ask my mom when she comes back because when this first started she said that if it lasted she would take her to the vet.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Keeping my fingers crossed that your sweetie gets the needed vet check asap.
What is your kitty's name?

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

Keeping my fingers crossed that your sweetie gets the needed vet check asap.
What is your kitty's name?
cleo, because she has black lines running from the side of her eyes like this Egyptian lady Cleopatra.

magycmyste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heh, she sounds a bit like my kitty Cleopatra!

Agreeing with the others that she definitely needs to see the vet - my kitten's been sneezing, hiccuping and coughing sporadically all week - she hadn't been outside. I got her to a vet this morning, and he confirmed that she had an upper respiratory infection. I'd been worried about it since I've heard URI's can be fatal if not treated quickly in cats.

Cleo's situation sounds a bit more serious than Cleopatra's, since my kitten hadn't been throwing up at all, though she sounded like it at the time. As spookzilla said, she might be getting into something poisonous outside, but even if that's not the case, something is definitely wrong and the vet will be able to tell you what.

Good luck convincing your dad and getting her to the vet ASAP!

Out of curiosity, how old is Cleo?

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Magycmyste

Heh, she sounds a bit like my kitty Cleopatra!

Agreeing with the others that she definitely needs to see the vet - my kitten's been sneezing, hiccuping and coughing sporadically all week - she hadn't been outside. I got her to a vet this morning, and he confirmed that she had an upper respiratory infection. I'd been worried about it since I've heard URI's can be fatal if not treated quickly in cats.

Cleo's situation sounds a bit more serious than Cleopatra's, since my kitten hadn't been throwing up at all, though she sounded like it at the time. As spookzilla said, she might be getting into something poisonous outside, but even if that's not the case, something is definitely wrong and the vet will be able to tell you what.

Good luck convincing your dad and getting her to the vet ASAP!

Out of curiosity, how old is Cleo?
you know I can't really remember her age but I think she is 3-4 years old, but she ate and she is holding food and she's coughing less. The vet up here has an emergency hotline, should I call it or just wait until moday when they are open.

magycmyste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If it doesn't cost too much, I would definitely call it. They should at least be able to tell you if it's an emergency or not.

I did the same thing a couple of times this past week, mainly because I've only recently started driviing, and with gas prices, it's both expensive-ish and hard for me to take her. Most of the time, I was told to just watch her, and bring her in if it looked like it got worse. Which it didn't look like it was getting worse. I was still worried, so I talked to a friend about it who knew a lot about cats, and she recommended her vet to me, and referred me so I could get an appointment.

So definitely call to see if it's an emergency, and if it's not, set up an appointment as soon as you can.

breakyourface

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Magycmyste

If it doesn't cost too much, I would definitely call it. They should at least be able to tell you if it's an emergency or not.

I did the same thing a couple of times this past week, mainly because I've only recently started driviing, and with gas prices, it's both expensive-ish and hard for me to take her. Most of the time, I was told to just watch her, and bring her in if it looked like it got worse. Which it didn't look like it was getting worse. I was still worried, so I talked to a friend about it who knew a lot about cats, and she recommended her vet to me, and referred me so I could get an appointment.

So definitely call to see if it's an emergency, and if it's not, set up an appointment as soon as you can.
My step mother is way more affectionate towards animals, we're taking her to the vet tomorrow. She is sleeping way more than normal but I do to when I'm sick XD, I'll post pictures of her later.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending calming vibes for Cleo's vet trip tomorrow.