*****KatKwery! - July 26 - well, did she?*****

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, since there are no objections I have awarded today's KatKwiz to Carol Petunia, of Plano, Texas.

Well, what can I say? She did it again. My wife really wants to meet this woman. Yes, Marianjela won for the SEVENTH straight time using the word counter. OK, counter was an easy one, considering the question. I will tell DW to make them harder for today. And luvmycat1 did NOT win. But Glitch won, using the word angry first and also using run which could have been used by others but was not. Also, wet and warn were not used.

Today's KatKwiz was about Cat Games.

I realize that I am one of the oldest people on this site but does anybody else remember PONG? What, if any, is your favorite video game of all time? Why is a video game worth fifty dollars when it comes out and then sells for ten dollars a few years later? How often, if ever, do you visit the Cat Games section of TCS? Finally, just because I am mean, do you know what RPG stands for?

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

OK, since there are no objections I have awarded today's KatKwiz to Carol Petunia, of Plano, Texas.

Well, what can I say? She did it again. My wife really wants to meet this woman. Yes, Marianjela won for the SEVENTH straight time using the word counter. OK, counter was an easy one, considering the question. I will tell DW to make them harder for today. And luvmycat1 did NOT win. But Glitch won, using the word angry first and also using run which could have been used by others but was not. Also, wet and warn were not used.

I realize that I am one of the oldest people on this site but does anybody else "remember PONG? What, if any, is your favorite video game of all time? Why is a video game worth fifty dollars when it comes out and then sells for ten dollars a few years later? How often, if ever, do you visit the Cat Games section of TCS? Finally, just because I am mean, do you know what RPG stands for?
Lucky number seven! Thanks again Lee's wife
I think other's are right, we may have been separated at birth! And I think I have some sort of time-telepathy going on with you too Lee... I swear I didnt expect the Kwery to be posted yet when I just now signed on. My hubby took a phone call and paused the movie we were watching. What a coincidence!

I joined the list over 3 years ago, but I havent been on the boards consecutively; I went on a hiatus of sorts when Josh was first diagnosed, but sorry to say I dont think I remember a member named PONG.

My favorite video game of all time. Hmmm. That is a hard one. Pac Man is a classic (or Donkey Kong even!), was great in the Atari ages and beyond, but I also loved playing Zelda on the Nintendo! And now we have the PlayStation I love Guitar Hero. I sat down to play with the kids one afternoon for the heck of it and got hooked. I can now play with the best of them!

As to why a video game is so expensive when it first comes out only to sell for pennies after some time passes. I imagine it has to do with all the hype! They build it up to be the next biggest thing, then after the majority of people go out and buy theres the overflow/remaining items sells for less. It's a blow out/overstock sale of sorts. I remember when I was just a teenager and the VCRs came out my father bought our first one for nearly (or over - hey I was young what do I know) $500. And now over 20 years later they are a tenth of that!

The other day I was at the store with my daughters and had to buy some Tylenol. Well... the generic stuff. And when I compared the prices of the two it amazed me how Tylenol could remain in business. I mean it's the same stuff. We all know Tylenol is more expensive because they had to develop it from scratch, then they had to advertise it. But still... after all these years, they can afford to sell their stuff for twice as much as the knock-off.

I used to visit the Arcade all the time when it was first introduced, but now I dont go there at all. And it has nothing to do with the points it costs. For some reason I cant access the game section from my laptop anymore. And between all of my children I dont have access to the home computer as much.

I didnt know what the RPG acronym stood for, but you know I had to look it up. Only to find that there are several different meanings. But for this topic of conversation... does RPG mean "role playing game" or "Rebounds per game"? "Recommended Practices Guide"? Hmmm

glitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I realize that I am one of the oldest people on this site but does anybody else remember PONG? What, if any, is your favorite video game of all time? Why is a video game worth fifty dollars when it comes out and then sells for ten dollars a few years later? How often, if ever, do you visit the Cat Games section of TCS? Finally, just because I am mean, do you know what RPG stands for?
Okay Pong was the best game out there, you had 2 almost like paddles and you moved them up and down and bounced the ball around trying to not let it get passed your paddle, It was alot of fun! I may not be that old but I played pong more than my fair share! I loved pong, and chicken hunt! You remember that?? Oh good times! I dont know really why games are worth so much one minute and not the next, but Im one of the idiots that spends 50 bucks when they first come out, and then a few year later buy it again because the original doesn't work anymore... grrr.. I dont visit the cat games section very often and today I learned why, I was at vplaza looking for that answer, I didn't get it! ROLE PLAYING GAME! HAH! I knew that one!

Maybe it has something to do with graphics and technology, they are always changing things! Once people have seen the game and played it they can't really sell it for the same price I suppose... but I dont know!

Thanks for the points! I got one, maybe now I can stop my whining!

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Oh, Pong is a great game! How can you forget Pong? It is a classic and a lot of fun!

My favorite video game of all time... Now that's a tough question! Probably Final Fantasy (the original, and then 9). But I have a LOT of close seconds!

That is a great question. I hate buying new video games just for that reason! That probably explains why we're still on a PS2 and not any of the new systems.

I have only visited the Cat Games section once, and it wasn't even on my sign on! My mom loves such games, so she was on it and I noticed, so she had me play a bit on her name. I did the typing one twice and made it on the records twice!

Trust me, since my favorite video game is Final Fantasy, "What does RPG stand for?" is certainly not a mean question for me! Role Playing Game.

Let's see if I do any better getting the right word with short answers! Today's is short 'cause I need to get off to lunch!

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by glitch

Okay Pong was the best game out there, you had 2 almost like paddles and you moved them up and down...
You were talking about a game! I thought you were asking about a member named PONG - I thought may be perhaps he was older than you.

I do remember a game named Pong. I thought it was a great coincidence that there was a member named Pong at the same time we were having a game discussion.

:duh:

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

That is a great question. I hate buying new video games just for that reason! That probably explains why we're still on a PS2 and not any of the new systems.
I should make my kids read this! I am the SAME way!!!! I hate buying something when it first comes out, because I know it will be cheaper after some time passes.

I'm not one to stand in hour long lines waiting for the next big thing just to give to my kids for Christmas or something.

We also still have the PS2 and we bought it after it had been out a year or so.... eventually we might upgrade to the Wii or PS3... but for now - we're happy with what we have.

luvmy2cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I do remember pong and asteroids.
My favorite old game is Sonic the Hedgehog without a doubt. I have no idea why games are so expensive when the first come out. I go to the arcade section of TCS quite a bit. I believe RPG stands for roll playing game. Or is could be rocket propelled grenade launcher.

belongstoevie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmycat1

My favorite old game is Sonic the Hedgehog without a doubt.
Oh, me too!! I think it's only second to me now because I'm not a big fan of the new, 3D versions. But oh, Sonic on the Sega? I STILL have it and play it! Total addiction.
My favorite is Sonic 3 combined with Sonic and Knuckles. GOOD STUFF!

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I definitely remember PONG!! When it came out, it was the best thing since sliced bread! I learned to put English on the balls too. My favorite video game of all time is PacMan. I think video games are expensive at first and once the newness wears off, they reduce the price. Game consoles are so expensive these days though. A couple of years ago, I won an Xbox at work. I bought a few used games for DH and he played it some but quickly tired of it. I actually sold the console and 1 game as a set on Ebay and got MORE than it sold for new! That is because they were no longer selling that console on the east coast.

I obviously go to Cat Games regularly. And I definitely know what RPG means. I play a couple of Role Playing Games that are not on this site. They are nowhere near the type that the Cat Games are.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BelongsToEvie

Oh, me too!! I think it's only second to me now because I'm not a big fan of the new, 3D versions. But oh, Sonic on the Sega? I STILL have it and play it! Total addiction.
My favorite is Sonic 3 combined with Sonic and Knuckles. GOOD STUFF!
Oh right! I used to play Sonic on the Sega all the time when we first got it. Hubby bought it for me when Kaitlynn was just a toddler! Then I think we used to play it on my brother's Nintendo. I cant remember.

Some games are a novelty. Once the initial excitement wears off... that it how they get away with jacking the price up so high in the beginning. By the time they drop the prices I think shoppers arent out searching for the game, as much as they are out, see it on "sale" and decide it's a great deal.

What the American Consumer wont pay!