How Would You Handle This Situation?

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I contacted the office girl who used to work at my former vet's office regarding him charging a fee for my cats' records, and she informed me that he never charged anyone else to obtain their cats' records. Instead of re-writing all the details regarding the incident, I attached the original thread regarding this:

http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=171765

Needless to say, I am not too happy about this.
If he charged me for the records, he should be charging everyone else also. I think he charged me as a form of retaliation.

What would you do if it were you? Contact the vet and ask for your money back, or just let it slide??

~KK~

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly, I would let it slide and just never go back there or refer anyone to them. What I would do is write a letter to the Vet clearly outlining why you are displeased with his service. You may never get any response from it, but at least it will be on record. I would also call the BBB and lodge a formal complaint. You can also try to contact your local chapter of the Vet's Association (not sure where you are and might be able to help you with this if I knew) and see what other options you may have.

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure if I would ask for a refund but I would demand answers.

That's just not right!

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't read all of your other threads so this is a little late, but here is my opinion and experience.

The economy is down and I am sure that vets do a number of things for free because of their love for animals. They pay for an assistant to make those copies. For me, I would rather pay for the assistant to make those copies than for the vet to take time away from my pets to do so.

I have wonderful vets. I am lucky.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Were the records correct? Did you get all the records? If not, I would put a stop payment on the check. Other then that, I would let it go. Just tell all your friends that this vet is shady and only thinks about the money and not the animals he cares for.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How much did he charge? When I wanted my medical records because I'd moved to another state, they charged me to make the copies.

I think if it's not an outrageous amount, I'd just let it go and be happy I got the records. I think I might consider reporting the vet to the bbb depending on the nature of your run in with him, not so much about him charging you for the records.

Hope you've been able to find a better vet for your babies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

How much did he charge? When I wanted my medical records because I'd moved to another state, they charged me to make the copies.
TEN dollars PER cat. I explained the details in the attached link.

I think if it's not an outrageous amount, I'd just let it go and be happy I got the records. I think I might consider reporting the vet to the bbb depending on the nature of your run in with him, not so much about him charging you for the records.
It's not the money so much (although it is a ridiculous amount IMO) but the principle of the thing. He's never charged anyone else. If he charges one, he should charge them all.
As I mentioned, I think he only did it as a form of retaliation b/c of the incident that was mentioned in a previous thread. It's not right..
And it's also not right that he got me involved in that incident in the first place (regarding the former office girl's unemployment), b/c he never asked my permission.

Hope you've been able to find a better vet for your babies!
I have found another vet, who seems awesome!

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Catkiki

Were the records correct?
Apparently not. The new vet couldn't find the info he needed regarding the Interferon that my two FIP cats have to take, in order to stay in remission.

Did you get all the records?
No. Just the ones for Winchester & Geronimo - my FIP cats - b/c those were the ones that were most important. I didn't have $50 to pay for ALL the records..

If not, I would put a stop payment on the check.
It's too late for that now..

Other then that, I would let it go. Just tell all your friends that this vet is shady and only thinks about the money and not the animals he cares for.
I certainly have no intention of recommending him to anyone ever again, like I used to before.
He obviously isn't a "decent" person, as I once thought he was.

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

Honestly, I would let it slide and just never go back there or refer anyone to them. What I would do is write a letter to the Vet clearly outlining why you are displeased with his service. You may never get any response from it, but at least it will be on record. I would also call the BBB and lodge a formal complaint. You can also try to contact your local chapter of the Vet's Association (not sure where you are and might be able to help you with this if I knew) and see what other options you may have.
That's pretty much the decision that I've decided to take.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I said in the other thread, it is not completely unfair of him to charge for copying of the records, he is paying a member of his staff to do so when you are not really his client anymore. My own doctor charges me if he has to get records FROM a walkin clinic and write them into his file for me.

However, it is unfair of him to charge you and not others but he could say it was a new rule to protect him from misuse of his staff's time etc if questioned.

I would just make sure to refer people elsewhere when asked and hit him where it hurts, his profit line

kittkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

As I said in the other thread, it is not completely unfair of him to charge for copying of the records

However, it is unfair of him to charge you and not others
That's my point exactly. If he would have been charging other clients for their records also, I wouldn't have minded - although I do think that $10 per cat is somewhat ridiculous. But it's totally unfair of him to charge only me and not the others...