Need help deciding on a new food!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Scotty doesn't seem to do well on the really good foods (Oscar has had NO food related issues). Case in point:

Wellness - Scotty developed a UTI while on this, and a dietary change is what "fixed" him.
Innova EVO - Scotty was good on this for about a year, then it started to cause constipation.
Innova Reduced Fat (more fiber for the constipation) - Scotty developed a UTI.
Royal Canin Urinary SO - Fixed his issues, for now, but it was never discussed as a life-term option for Scotty, and I would like to find something I can just pick up at a store, rather than order through my vet (they're out).

Any suggestions would be grateful! I don't have a lot of options on where we can get food, and our feed supply store does have quite a few high-quality options. So, a LOT of suggestions would really help.

I'd discuss this with our vet, but she's not available right now, and I don't really trust the others as much with his nutrition (she was essentially floored that he didn't do so well on EVO).

Thanks in advance!

graciecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine eat Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken and Rice and they're all doing really well on it.

I've looked in countless stores and I've never been able to find it there.
So I have to buy it at the feed mill.

fluffee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I take it Scotty is a male? And how close to a purebreed is he? My sister has a blue(I know I will spell this wrong) Hymalya male who has had UTI problems over the years. He is about 16 or more now. One vet told her that even tho she did not have papers on him, he was very close or was a purebreed and seems that the males purebreeds have uti problems. And she uses anything from Science diet to what the vets give her as "special" food.

All I can say is good luck.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
EVO is to HIGH in all the micro nutrients that UTI cats NEED LOW .... IE vet should do a bit of homework;-0

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Graciecat

Mine eat Eagle Pack Holistic Select Chicken and Rice and they're all doing really well on it.

I've looked in countless stores and I've never been able to find it there.
So I have to buy it at the feed mill.
I'm pretty sure the place I used to get Innova has Eagle Pack as well. I'll have to look at the ingredients.

Originally Posted by Fluffee

I take it Scotty is a male? And how close to a purebreed is he? My sister has a blue(I know I will spell this wrong) Hymalya male who has had UTI problems over the years. He is about 16 or more now. One vet told her that even tho she did not have papers on him, he was very close or was a purebreed and seems that the males purebreeds have uti problems. And she uses anything from Science diet to what the vets give her as "special" food.

All I can say is good luck.
Thank you! He's not purebred at all. He's just a mackerel tabby.

Originally Posted by sharky

EVO is to HIGH in all the micro nutrients that UTI cats NEED LOW .... IE vet should do a bit of homework;-0
I'm not sure I understand. He was great on Evo, except for the constipation issue, for over a year. It wasn't until we switched from Evo to the reduced fat that he developed another UTI.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by luvmyfurbabys

We use Blue Seal this is a link to the dry food http://www.blueseal.com/dogandcat/lifestagesCat.php

they also have wet food here
http://www.blueseal.com/dogandcat/cans.php

I think BlueSeal is a New England thing but Im not sure.
the % on that food are GENERALLY considered TOO HIGH for UTI health and the ingredients in the dry are marginal ( ie premium but far from what most will feed) ... the canned IMHO is grocery level ...

if he did well on EVO then he needs a low carb food ... LIGHT foods usually are EXTREMELY high in carbs

jman_in_mn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

Wellness - Scotty developed a UTI while on this, and a dietary change is what "fixed" him.
Is this a general concern I should have? Reason I ask is that Marvin had a bladder infection about 4 months ago and just recently switched to Wellness. I don't want that issue to recur

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jman_in_MN

Is this a general concern I should have? Reason I ask is that Marvin had a bladder infection about 4 months ago and just recently switched to Wellness. I don't want that issue to recur
I'm not sure. A bladder infection and a urinary tract infection may not be the same thing. I'm not a vet, so I wouldn't know specifics.

I would just keep an eye out and watch for any signs of UTI symptoms (straining to urinate, blood in urine, urinating outside of the litter box, etc.). My kitty is definitely predisposed to UTIs.