My first day as a volunteer!

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I spent my day first attempting to volunteer at the Denver Dumb Friend's League--no wonder they need the help, they make volunteering such a pain! I've called them twice about it, also showed up twice, and never heard from them again after submitting applications. Seriously, that's retarded.

So after an entirely unstimulating visit to the DDFL, I went to the Cat Care Society to see if they actually wanted the help, and the people there were more than happy to let me wander around, love up on the kitties, and clean their cat boxes. They might even let me foster! Toby would hate that, but Trina would be in kitty heaven.

I think I loved on 40 cats over a span of 3 and a half hours today, if not a little more. I had to fight to avoid the kitten room toward the end, though. Why can't all kitties stay as lovey as that?! I went in there and had six kittens crawling up my legs and who were just SO HAPPY to be snuggled up to my neck.. I didn't have hands enough! They had a limit of 3 people in there at a time, but really, I think that should be the minimum, those kittens were so sweet!

There were a few that really stuck out to me. The devon rex would have stood out as it was, but he was just SO lovey. Wow. Just wow. An adult cat that affectionate is fantastic! And of course, there was Kazio.. He'd pretty much given up his will to live ever since his owner just dumped him on their doorstep. I made sure I spent extra time with him, and wouldn't ya know it, he actually went down and ate! Apparently he won't eat during the day.. whether that was because of me or because of the sweet man who came in to pet him( I should *really* learn names), I'm not sure. But the one who stood out the most to me was a loner who didn't get along with other kitties. I walked into the room, sat down, and he promptly got up and crawled into my lap.

It almost broke my heart, you know? I don't understand how people don't realize that cats are a lifelong commitment, undisposable. That cat just seemed to miss being in someone's lap soooo bad.. I wondered who he was thinking about as I loved on him and he snuggled, halfway falling asleep. =\\ I only wish I had more time rather than once a week I can go.. But still, anything is better than nothing!

It's so weird, seeing so many other cats, each with their own personality. I had the distinct feeling that generally my kitties were smarter. ^_^ I might just be biased, but I also talk to my kittens like they're people; anyone who abandons their cats probably doesn't do the same.

There was also an Oklahoma Tornado survivor who was super smart! She'd definitely been raised to understand English for sure and was like an un-timid version of Trina. It made me happy, how joyful she was, even without her owners. Then there was the sixteen week old creme tabby boy; He'd probably been hit by a car, had had surgery to remove part of his femur, and wouldn't sit still! Three and a half hours, and I didn't see him sleep once. Instead he was bounding around with his off-kilter gait constantly, chasing balls and toys, but at the same time, not being a pain at all to anyone.

Wow. Just wow. It was a good first day.

ninacaliente

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sounds like it promises to be a very rewarding experience! I'd love to volunteer like that someday, when I have a few more hours to spare. Good for you for volunteering!!!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Fiery

I don't understand how people don't realize that cats are a lifelong commitment, undisposable.
You have hit the nail on the head, as they say.
COMMITMENT! This is why I am so skeptial over the last cat we shipped to our daughter. At any time, she can break the commitment and then we have more cats to take care of! And of course, we are going to do it, what parent would not? (Cat lover that is.)

Meanwhile, I am looking for an Ocicat kitten to present to my dear wife on August 30. Anybody got any ideas?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fiery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd love to volunteer like that someday, when I have a few more hours to spare.
Hey, I only have one day a week, and that'll vary between 1-4 hours. Anything is better than nothing! Even if you just want to go and give them some lovings once a month, if they're like the CCS, they'll be THRILLED to let you go in and play with them!

COMMITMENT! This is why I am so skeptial over the last cat we shipped to our daughter.
That's no bueno! But at least you know they won't end up in a shelter! Your commitment is applaudable, for sure. ^_^ Hopefully she understands, but.. who really knows? I'm only nineteen, but I think I have a good handle on it. My mom got me Toby, and then two years later decided she didn't want him anymore. Thank goodness for my Dad, who let him stay at his place! =( Irresponsible people suck.

Honestly, they're family members. Would people abandon their children? Their brother? Grandma? >.<

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very happy that you decided to volunteer. It can be such a rewarding experience and you do make a difference. Already you have helped a poor depressed kitty.

marianjela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad you persevered and went there in person! It sounds like you had a great time! My youngest daughter loves to go to the shelter with me to just spend time with the cats and dogs there. I love that she loves it so much and the shelter is glad to have the help. It's a win-win situation.

Thanks for sharing your experience! So very heartwarming!!

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do much the same thing. Monday morning I go in at 8 to clean some of the cages, then spend a couple of hours loving on the kitties. We always have some that are less "personable," but often they have a soft underside. I've seen some mighty rough-looking cats turn into absolute cuddlebugs.

And the adult cats that are just "abandoned," I don't get that. Why would someone have a cat 2, 5, 7, 12 years and then just turn them in like a used car? The poor cat has no idea why it's suddenly in jail, with no one to cuddle with!

fastnoc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought about doing this, but chose to try just fostering.

I couldn't handle the thought of walking away leaving all those kitties alone and sad. Especially the kittens. Then the sick ones, etc.

I just have too soft a heart and it would kill me.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

We had someone who threw a 12 year old cat through the door with no info on its background - I just don't get it either
Oh that is just wrong. Too ashamed of themselves looks like.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

And the adult cats that are just "abandoned," I don't get that. Why would someone have a cat 2, 5, 7, 12 years and then just turn them in like a used car? The poor cat has no idea why it's suddenly in jail, with no one to cuddle with!
Neither can I. It boggles my mind. What were they doing with the cat all those years?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fastnoc

I thought about doing this, but chose to try just fostering.

I couldn't handle the thought of walking away leaving all those kitties alone and sad. Especially the kittens. Then the sick ones, etc.

I just have too soft a heart and it would kill me.
I can't foster, my last foster is still with me months later - I would never give them up.

I actually find (on most days) that I am not sad about the kitties. Ours are very well treated and I love working on adoptions and seeing them go home, and helping them match what they want with one of our cats.

But then we are a no kill shelter, I don't think I could work in a kill shelter.

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by icklemiss21

I can't foster, my last foster is still with me months later - I would never give them up.

I actually find (on most days) that I am not sad about the kitties. Ours are very well treated and I love working on adoptions and seeing them go home, and helping them match what they want with one of our cats.

But then we are a no kill shelter, I don't think I could work in a kill shelter.
Ours is no kill too. I could not work in a kill shelter. I would be a crying mess everyday.