Had the most awesome ride on my horse!

mbrcpr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm still floating way up above the ground! My totally awesome horse, Mr. Nib that I posted pics of in the horse thread, gave me the best ride I've had in YEARS today! We trotted in the big scary outdoor arena (I have confidence issues there after I came off him shortly after I got him) and he didn't try to take off on me! HUGE step for us, as I've never had a good ride out there. Then later I took him back out there and CANTERED! I've had some major confidence problems, combined from taking almost a whole 6 years off riding after my daughter was born, having a fall, and him wanting to run off on me out there. But I had a productive lesson out there a couple weeks ago, and now I feel confident that I can easily control him if he tries to run off. I actually only had to use my "circle til he quits it" trick ONE time today, and he only did the circle ONE time. The first time, we circled for 10 minutes!

So it doesn't sound like much, but it's a HUGE deal for me, and I'm probably the happiest person on earth right now! Just floating!

babywukong

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I know nothing about horses, but it really sounds like you had a great time! Congratulations on your progress

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
congrats! It's such a relief when they behave

on the other hand though, I absolutely love it when they take off with me!

faith's_mom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lauracatlover

congrats! It's such a relief when they behave

on the other hand though, I absolutely love it when they take off with me!
I prefer my horse to 'take off with me' with some control...I love a good run, but it must be controlled; an uncontrollable horse is not a fun one; and this is coming from a person who is ridden and trained for over half her life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mbrcpr

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, going for a run is one thing, and the horse taking it upon himself to choose to go for a run and not wanting to stop is another! I need to be able to stop the horse!

I've been getting better and better at cantering. Earlier this week I was cantering and JUMPING! I've never really gotten to jump much in the past, but Nib apparently LOVES to jump. We were just going over a little 8" crossrail, but he was doing some good honest jumps. I'm sure we looked goofy jumping in my barrel racing saddle, LOL! I'm looking for an English saddle but just don't have the funds at the moment.

So we had several days of good rides, and he breaks his hoof! There's a big chunk missing from his front hoof. The farrier came by today to look at it. He thinks that Nib either got a kick from another horse or stepped on a rock just right and broke it. It's been dry lately and the pasture is very hard. Nib's feeties dried out and the hoof is brittle. So Friday he gets his hoof rebuilt and shoes put on to protect them while they grow out. I'm also putting pine tar on them twice a week to help moisturize them. He's not lame on it at all. The farrier said that while it is serious and needs addressed, it's not as serious as you would think it is. He said not to turn him out on the pasture until he gets the shoes on, but it's ok to turn him out and even to ride him in the indoor arena, because the footing is fairly deep and very soft. Plenty of cushion for his feet!

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I hope Nibs' hoof is ok! And, I can understand after not riding for so long it's hard to get back "in the saddle". I used to take lessons (English) when I was in grade school/junior high but had to stop. The next horse I rode was in college. My roommate's sister was training for the junior olympics and her mom took me out to ride her sister's horse....named Damien. Ok, the name itself scared me, then I looked at the horse. It had to have been at least 18 hands high (looked like 2 miles high to me). He was GORGEOUS, black with a white blaze and white stockings..half arabian, half throurbred if I remember. And did he ever live up to his name! Of course, he realized I had NO control over him what so ever so he did whatever he wanted! Plus I was riding English for the first time in 10 years and my muscles just weren't used to doing that anymore.

Fast forward to the first time I went of a trail ride. Everything was fine (western saddles this time) at first. Until we got to a field where the guides always let the horses "run". Ok. First of all, they could have warned me, because I was turned around talking to my friend behind me when the horse took off. My feet were completely out of the stirrups so I had no control what-so-ever. I was holding on to anything I could possible grab..mane, saddle horn, anything. It felt like we were going 120 mph (probably only going at a canter though). I just kept seeing the edge of the woods coming closer and trying to pick out which tree limb to duck when the darn horse just stopped and started grazing. I almost went over her head! Yeah, it was a real laugh for my friends (and for the guides) but it WASN'T fun for me. The horse suddenly became the docile mare I was originally riding to begin with (but I honestly think I heard her laughing!
)

But, it's great that you got that far with Nibs!

lauracatlover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by faith's_mom

I prefer my horse to 'take off with me' with some control...I love a good run, but it must be controlled; an uncontrollable horse is not a fun one; and this is coming from a person who is ridden and trained for over half her life.
Lol, I meant controlled. Well, I meant so I am able to stop