Tundra and Tacoma's new mom asking for help

denham

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I am brand new to the site and brand new to owning a pair of 12 week old kittens. The kittens were dropped off at my husband's dealership ( can u guess Toyota) and guess who "had" to bring them home
So here I am...... I did take them to the vet right away to get a look-over , shots, etc.
My question...tonight - because there will be several, is -
Are they going to eventually not need so much human contact? I realize that they have been left by their mother way too early on. Right now they follow us everywhere around the house. Other than playing together and sleeping and eating, they are not away from us. I do draw the line with the bedroom though. At night we close the door and they sleep in the livingroom. So, does the need for human attention lessen as they get older?
Thanks for your insight

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

denham

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So I read a little further down and heard your advice on holding them a lot. I guess I am blessed because they are wanting to be held or petted a lot. One even favors my husband, and the other me.
Any other thoughts though?

skewch

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Twelve weeks is still young and like kids, they want to be coddled and spoiled and will remain at your feet all the time...at least mine did until they got a bit older and found their own space. I love my cats to be on me, around me, talking to me etc. as that's the companionship I am looking for in a cat. I would give them the loving they are asking for...it helps them keep socialized and friendly cats.

katch4

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by skewch

Twelve weeks is still young and like kids, they want to be coddled and spoiled and will remain at your feet all the time...at least mine did until they got a bit older and found their own space. I love my cats to be on me, around me, talking to me etc. as that's the companionship I am looking for in a cat. I would give them the loving they are asking for...it helps them keep socialized and friendly cats.
Agree with Skewch. They are still just little kitties and they need and crave attention.

Bless you and your husband for taking them home to care for them!

Love the names BTW!

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wished mine were cuddly. Even when they were young. It's been forever since I had a lap cat.

Welcome!

cc12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
skewch put it perfectly.
They crave Mommy and Daddy loves until they get older and more secure. You don't want to rebuff the cat then you could end up with an aloof kitty or an insecure one. The more they bond with you the easier time you will have with discipline and behavior modification.
Kittens have way more energy than adult cats.
I also think yours probably need more reassurance since they were abandoned and taken away from Mom. The fact that they have each other will make your life so much easier.

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You are so lucky that they want to be with you both. My cat Blossom was found by my son when she was 3 weeks old. I bottle fed her & taught her what she needed to know. Such as using the litter box & scratching post. I thought all this nurturing would make her a very friendly, affectionate cat. For the 1st year she was very wild, attacked our feet, hands etc with claws & teeth. She gradually quietened down & began to tolerate petting. She's not fussed on being held or being on laps although she does sleep on our bed most nights. She now likes to be tickled around the ears & chin & enjoys tummy rubs, but in the beginning would attack with claws drawn.
From the sounds of it you have 2 very lovely kitties.